ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Windows 7 Official Public Release Date!

Scirocco GT 2.0
Windows 7 will be released October 22nd. The RTM will be released to manufacturers, Technet Subscribers, Volume licensees etc in July/August. Woop :D

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
have the beta, such an improvement on vista (not difficult tbh). But i dunno, I'm still an XP man when it comes to windows ;)

Scirocco GT 2.0
have the beta, such an improvement on vista (not difficult tbh). But i dunno, I'm still an XP man when it comes to windows ;)

XP is nearly 9 years old now.. Bit out-of-date imo.

But it's still ye olde reliable, hopefully W7 will make businesses shagging XP switch to it!

Nothing much will happen with businesses struggling through the recession, they'll probably stick for now. But we'll see..

We will certainly be deploying it as we did with Vista..

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d

But it's still ye olde reliable, hopefully W7 will make businesses shagging XP switch to it!

Nothing much will happen with businesses struggling through the recession, they'll probably stick for now. But we'll see..

Exactly why i use it. Its stupid how my gaming system is set out. I have a 250GB SATA HardDrive with Vista Home Premium, then a second hard drive (which started out as a linux backup system, and now is my main system) Which is 40GB IDE drive with XP on :p use it for games. Its filled up now though :(

I had it on for a while testing, and it was bloody good. Setup was a breeze, although it didn't have the drivers for my wireless card. I like the new taskbar, and could possibly get me away from using the 95 style Start menu and taskbar!

Media Center played anything thrown at it without needing codecs, seemed fast and responsive even on this 4 year-old cheap-spec'ed PC.

I've also seen a number of forums with Linux geeks praising it as well, which means M$ might have got it right this time! If the reviews stay positive, I'd probably pay to upgrade soon after it's release.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I will be testing W7 come its public release if it passes my tests i will push it out to my Guinea pig group of users, if all goes well with them I will look to push it out to the rest of the company, but your probably talking 1 year after public release date.

XP is now pretty tried and tested and its a great platform for business's to use. But some of the newer features in W7 (and vista for that matter) would be a godsend from an IT point of view.

Scirocco GT 2.0
I will be testing W7 come its public release if it passes my tests i will push it out to my Guinea pig group of users, if all goes well with them I will look to push it out to the rest of the company, but your probably talking 1 year after public release date.

XP is now pretty tried and tested and its a great platform for business's to use. But some of the newer features in W7 (and vista for that matter) would be a godsend from an IT point of view.

Agreed.

If it comes out on the 22nd October as promised then we will put it through its paces, maybe putting it on some of the more tech-savvy teachers laptops like we did with Vista to see how it works with their Interactive Whiteboards and all their software, the like.

We will then aim to rebuild all computers, leaving a few Vista ones for people who refuse to change (Some Admin office computers maybe) over the summer holidays 2010 :approve: Along with Office 2010 hopefully.

SLK250 CDI
win286bg.gif

TBH

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182

wtf you deployed Vista... poor end users. :)

Focus ST3
XP being 9 years old isn't a decent reason to ditch it.

Lol at using 'deploy' in mundane contexts. I'm off to deploy a turd to the bowl.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182

Lol at using 'deploy' in mundane contexts. I'm off to deploy a turd to the bowl.

Im dropping the kids off at the pool right now ;)

In other news, XP SP3 is still awesome, I wont be using anything else at home for a while as its faster and more stable than anything else at the moment.

Scirocco GT 2.0

You're obviously not familiar with common IT terms.

- Just realised Software Assurance customers are getting a specific version not available to the public called Windows 7 Enterprise. Why? I thought they were going to cut down the amount of versions this time round..

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/enterprise/products/windows-7.aspx

Scirocco GT 2.0
well corp users require domain use but dont want media centre so it makes sense to have a corporate version

Isn't that what Windows Vista Business (What we're currently using)/Windows 7 Professional is for lol

Home Premium/Ultimate is where it's at for Media Center