ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams vs 106gti

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

Scooby is being sold today, and i cant afford an ITR just yet without skinting me, so im gonna get something else for 6months or so!

question is Williams or 106gti?

Iv had 3 clios already, so I do know a lot about them, but I also know they are unreliable. Ive read a lot of good reviews on the 106 gti, and as they are a bit newer (S plate onwards with 40kish) so seem like the better choice. But....Ive always wanted to own a Williams, and they are quicker than the 106, and a classic hot hatch!

decisions.....any advice?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Have a change... go for the 106, Ive had 2 and theyre superb!

can always try a 106 mate, def nice cars and cheap, fast to as u said u have had 3 clios already so u know good and bad points

Vee dub

Williams

I think you may regret not getting one if you are in the gti and a willy goes past if you know what i mean...

Love the 106gti, but I would get a williams.

Remapped derv Golf

Williams has gotta be the choice if you wanna stick with a car but you dont so I think you should get the 106 GTi

Williams costs more to run than a 106. Buy a Gti or VTS and save the rest for a ITR.

They are going for £1.5k-£2k now!

I cant see a williams paste either! Both are close in performance to a 172 until illegal speeds so neither should be troubled too badly by a williams.

They are a hoot to drive too!

Titanium 182

get a gti mate

itr as mint cars, cant wait until i can afford a dc5 teg, id get a gti, and keep saving for the teg

if u get a willy and things start going wrong its never cheap to fix as there a pain to work on

saxos and 106s are dirt cheap when things go wrong and there fairly reliable i bought my vts with 48k on the clock its now on 57k and iv only had to service it!

good fun to drive with exerlent handling

its not going to feel fast after getting out of scooby mind!

Remapped derv Golf

JONGSR4 downgraded from an 280bhp Evo 2 to a VTS and was quite content.

The fun factor was quite good.

Snotter's

yellow gti with black rims,went to tms today and they have got a white 106 maxi with carbon bonnet and boot,203 bhp !!!

Although id prefer a williams as a car to keep

My previous car was a 106 Rallye (97) and I have a Williams now. If you dont like high maintenance costs, then go for a young 106 GTI. If you want a classic car, then go for the Williams. The both handle and look great.

how long it going to be untill u can afford a ITR? why not just buy a cheap small car untill then? save alot more money and be alot quicker to save to get one then?

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

Well, I can afford one now, but I dont want to buy it and be skint cos iv got 2 holidays coming up and that!

Scooby has been sold today, so thats now gone, and iv got the cash for a car now! (and i need one asap to get to work hehe)

I want to get somethin fun, and standard to knock about in for a bit after the scooby and after my holiday save up for a teg for 6 months or so!

The thing about the 106 is iv seen 2000 plates ones with 30k on going for decent money, and they are a bit newer than the williams!

but on the other hand, i have always wanted to own a williams! maybe some day! but for now its got to be 106! just need to find a ncie one now!

lol get a 106gti then, i was looking at them before i got the williams but the williams won hands down being what it is!

MINI JCW

Just been reading this weeks Autocar and it has the Williams perfromance figures in so compared them to a previous Autocar mag which had the 106 GTI in.

0-60 0-100 30-70 Top

Williams 7.7 20.8 6.9 130

106 GTI 8.2 23.9 7.7 122

Overall though I would have the Williams

[Edited by gazcaddy on 09 July 2005 at 6:39pm]

Pug actually test with 2 people and half a tank of petrol, im not sure on Renault, but the GTi is defo faster than that!

Ive had 120 out of mine GPS verfied (on a runway) and there was more than 2mph left! lol

Get the GTi imo, you need a change from clios!

MINI JCW

Quote: Originally posted by Dan on 09 July 2005

Pug actually test with 2 people and half a tank of petrol, im not sure on Renault, but the GTi is defo faster than that!

Ive had 120 out of mine GPS verfied (on a runway) and there was more than 2mph left! lol

Get the GTi imo, you need a change from clios!

Thats was Autocar test not Peugeot and I assume autocar test all their cars in the same way, other wise the performance figures mean nothing

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Believe me, a 106 GTi is a lot faster than those figures you quoted...

Vee dub

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 09 July 2005

Believe me, a 106 GTi is a lot faster than those figures you quoted...

Deffo

The gti is alot quicker than that!

my old gti had no problem dispatching williamss but then it did run 15 flat 1/4s i spent about a grand on the engine and was running about 150bhp

and those figures you quote are pug figures, they tested there car with a full tank of fuel, a passengar and some luggage, ths was to make it appear slower so they could get it at a lower ins group then the VTS, hence the gti is ins grp 13, the vts is ins grp 14 evo tested it independantly at 7.4 - 60

Remapped derv Golf

Agreed the 106 (and VTS) are quite a match for the 2.0 clios due to that weight difference.

Some people with Clios seem to think theyll walk on the Pug!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

insurance isnt a problem like its only about £300 full comp on a gti and ill get about £1k refunded from the scooby as i insured it when i was 24 and it was STUPID amounts!!!

iv decided to go for gti.

what would you say was the value of a 2001 with 35k on the clock in mint nick?? £5k?

i have thought about getting a sh*tter, but i love my cars and it would do my head in! at least want something pretty decent for the meantime like! going from a scooby to a 1.6 16v should help me out a lot anyway!

LY 200

There isnt too much in it but the williams is deffo faster..........I had a go with a mates gti with my 17s on and not takin the car to its full limits and i was still creeping on him!!!

gtis are nice lookin but the seats are crap imo (no support there), the only thing they have is there cornering ability but then i undestand the the valver/williams is as good with smaller rims...........Id say the only reason to take up the gti would be cause its newer and in your case a change from a clio!!!

you would creep up on him at higher speeds, ie motorway or dual carriageway etc, but off the mark youd get your arse handed to you on a plate especially with the 17s and long gearing int he williams

MINI JCW

Quote: Originally posted by Steve106GTI on 09 July 2005

and those figures you quote are pug figures, they tested there car with a full tank of fuel, a passengar and some luggage, ths was to make it appear slower so they could get it at a lower ins group then the VTS, hence the gti is ins grp 13, the vts is ins grp 14 evo tested it independantly at 7.4 - 60
They are not Peugeots performance figure they are Autocars figures from what they did when they tested the car, maybe it was a bad 106 GTi they had but the facts are thats these are the performance figures when they tested it, i appreciated evo performance figures are quicker

no autocar have taken there figures from the pug manu figures trust me.

8.2 23.9 7.7 122 is excatly the same as what pug quote

[Edited by Steve106GTI on 09 July 2005 at 9:18pm]

MINI JCW

I think not becuase after the performance figures it says date tested 26.2.97

they only include cars they have tested themselves in there road test

If you look at letstorquebhp website the figures they quote all be it calculated are very similar to autocar

Anyway what time do you reckon for 0-100 for the 106 GTI?

Quote: Originally posted by Steve106GTI on 09 July 2005
about 21 seconds prolly for std, 106 gtis arent really good for 90mph+

Steve, are you steve106GTi on PGAC?

Remapped derv Golf

Oh who gives the f**k about a couple of secs! It can be lost via a missed gear change or drivers reaction time.

xr4x4

Why do ppl big up 106gtis? they r nothing special the one i had was nowhere near as quick as a valver after 70...they run out of puff! also my old 106xsi wasnt that far behind i kid you not.

at the end of the day there are far better cars out there than both, my suggestion is if u want a integra, then just buy a cheap banger and run that until u can get one!

The Hybrid Valver/Williams I went out in last week would EAT a 106 GTi for breakfast, lunch, dinner then spit it back out and eat it again for desert!! :D

172beast

And the Valver/Williams Hybrid was on a 98/99/00/01 plate was it? I see folks point but for the age and price of a 106 or VTS I really dunno what else you could get thats as fun to drive.