ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams Rust Spots

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

Hi all,

Having now owned my williams 3 a week, woohoo ! im now getting around to wax oiling it.

I know my rear arches were resprayed a few years ago, and i chatted to another williams 3 owner on sunday, his car had both rusty wheel arches and sills. Are these the only places that they can rot.

Ive read previous posts, but what we could do with is a KNOW RUST SPOT LIST. Any tips on where to spray waxoil now could save me from using the dreaded welder in a few years time.

Cheers
RiCh.

scuttle and around the turrets. inside edge of boot, chassis rails and sills, front cross member.

BMW Z4 2.5si Sport

on 2/3, the windscreen washer jet is located with the rear wiper... The seal for it can break, and leak water over the tailgate... If this happens, its possible for it to rust around the rear wiper.

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

Yep, Been out to look around the rear wiper mounting and mine is just starting to show behind paint. Bugger.

Get under the car and do it properly. Then take the plastic covers off the arches and get under them and have a good look. Dont forget the alloys. I just waxoil my whole alloys in the winter. looks sh*t but keeps them nice. Also see if any fluids have leaked from the engine bay and taken the paint off the engine bay. Chassis rails and some of the mountings on the underside can rust. Just generally find any bare metal and when you find it either zinc prime it or touch up pen, depending on the location. Personally i would only wax oil over the top of a well treated area. Wax oil ontop of rust will stop it but i think its best to treat it first and then make sure with wax oil. Always use a primer with a metal in it like zinc as this will prevent oxidation of the iron in your car. Keep an eye on stone chips too. One way to locate rust spots is to wash the car and then see where the water settles (ie seals around doors). These will be future trouble spots if paint gets removed. Inbetween the two shells of the bonnet can also collect water and rust.

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

Washed it today, and i keep finding more areas which need work. So far i need to strip,clean and repaint both sills (i think the jack has cut through the stone chip coating and rusted it from behind). Clean the rust off around the area where the passenger side headlight is. Clean and repaint the drain holes on the tailgate, thats quite bad.

Engine bay is dirty but im trying to find a steam cleaner to put that right, then a good waxoil.

My wheels are rough anyway. But whilst im on the subject did we find a company that we can trust to refurb them ? Ive read the past posts.

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

Im @ Huddersfield pal, Been on the look out for another set of alloys buy & refurb - then ive got a summer and winter set.

Laguna 2, Westfield

Open the door and get on your hand and knees, look at the very bottom of the door, on the inside skin, not the panel you see outside. There are holes at the bottoms of the doors and they rust around them. Seen some quite bad rust here.

Just out of interest, whats the mileage etc of your williams 3, i am looking for one at the mo, looked at a few, just wondered if it was one i looked at as i see you havent had it long.

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

Its 3 owner 69,000 miler. Bought it last saturday, and have done 500miles so far. It was the first one Id seen, had all the service history. Well pleased. I should have looked at some others but good genuine low milage 1s & 3s seam to go quick.

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

Wooo, that looks bad. Whats the rest of the car like ?Going to get underneath mine hopefully tomorrow. It will be the first time ive looked underneath - so there better not be any nasty suprises.

To say that its a 8 year old car - they carnt half rust.

LOL - My Girlfriend had a MK1 XR2 when I started going out with her and it was brilliant - unfortuanatly rust killed it off too :( My MK2 XR2 was spotless and spent loads keeping it immaculate as it was my first car. I sold it to some tw*t that thrashed it and recked it.

I havent got round to protecting the chassis from rust yet but gonna b4 it gets too dark, lucky 4 me i own a "very" low milage williams that doesnt have a spot of rust on it yet.. he he, smug arnt i :D

Think most peeps have mentioned all the common points, the boot and arches are the most common, also the underside of the doors can rust up if the drain holes get blocked up.. :cry:

Clio 172 cup

Quote: Originally posted by northy_com on 08 September 2003

Going to get underneath mine hopefully tomorrow. It will be the first time ive looked underneath - so there better not be any nasty suprises.
WTF!!!!!!

What sort of Dimwit buys a car without looking underneath it first!

LMAO

Is it just me or do the three doors seem to rust more easily around the arches than the five doors? I have seen loads of three doors with the plague eating away at them but not many fives.

I have 95,000 miles with no rust and no patching up.:D

my 94 phase 2 as got the left rear arch bubblin abit. was really bad near where it meats the sill. i used hammerite smooth black to sort it but it iant very smooth. great stuff for bits you cant see. did me antiroll bar ends with it as they were rustin too. the bodywork apart from that is great. no rust in boot, sills etc.

didnt the phase2s have better rust protection than the phase1s?

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

Quote: Originally posted by The_Raiderman on 08 September 2003
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What sort of Dimwit buys a car without looking underneath it first!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eh dimwit. Come on -
I’m not going to fully strip a car down with the owner watching, while I look for rust am I.
It’s near on impossible to fully check a car by the roadside. As the Williams is a car with low ground clearance anyway, I could only look at the sills & part of the floor on both sides all round the car. You have to trust your instincts. If it appears to have been looked after then it should be ok. But have to expect it may need some work to correct and repair any rust spots.

I implied that when I jack the car up today I could get it high enough to remove the wheels and inspect all the inner wings, chassis legs and exhaust mountings.

Cars from down south last longer than here (West Yorkshire), as the council likes to throw tons salt on the roads in winter. The area a car is kept in could explain the why some clios last longer than others.

Strombas top ten anti rust tips. Da da da daaaaaa, daaaaaaaaaaa daaaa da da

In at 5 its that old favourite get off you ass and look by the Couch Potatoes

down 3 at 4 its wash it in the winter to remove the salt by you Lazy Git

Up 2 to the number 3 spot its Electron Donor with zinc rust primer

Its a non mover at number two for get them stone chips cared for by the Chip Sticks

Which means its a new entry at number one. Staright into the top spot with garage your car its Standing Water

LETS ROCK!!!

williams and trophy

northy where bouts in w yorks u from?

iv not ad no probs with salt on roads wi mine for last 2 years lol..but then i only drive it wen im racin hehe

My local reno dealer says to drill a single hole at front of both sills, as they fill with water otherwise, true or not, as sometimes I hear a sloshing, which I had previoulsy assumed was petrol tank, but I aint sure, anybody?

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

Im collecting a bit of research on known krusty spots. Been i a few scrappies looking @ clios to find where they go. Just to help prevent any future problems.