ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams Owners (North Yorkshire)

R26
Im seriously thinking about selling up and getting a Williams. So I really need to drive one before i make up my mind, so if anyone around here has one and wouldnt mind taking me out id be very grateful :) Ive seen two for sale at the moment which look like it proper minters :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-CLIO-...mobiles_UK?hash=item53e03611b1#ht_2434wt_1167

&

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1547964.htm

Has anyone on here owned both, which did you prefer? Are there gains to be had from the F7R engine? I think the only thing i would miss is the 'look' of my RB..

R26
You must be mad getting rid of the RB

I know, its gorgeous looking car and ive spent a fair bit of $$ on it getting it how i want it, but i want something raw'er, and i love the look of the Williams to be fair. The only thing im worried about is regretting it after and wanting my RB back, i could always run them together but would leave me tight on cash :\

Renaultsport Clio 172
I know, its gorgeous looking car and ive spent a fair bit of $$ on it getting it how i want it, but i want something raw'er, and i love the look of the Williams to be fair. The only thing im worried about is regretting it after and wanting my RB back, i could always run them together but would leave me tight on cash :\

Hmm, post a pic of your RB. If your after something raw then you may aswell go and strip the 182.. simplesssss

R26
Hmm, post a pic of your RB. If your after something raw then you may aswell go and strip the 182.. simplesssss

edit12.jpg

Thats most recent i have, changed a few things since then (Coilovers, decat etc..)

Yeah another idea was to strip and get a set of buckets fitted, thing is, ill still probably want a Williams after that haha, i need to test drive one :approve:

Astra VXR ex 172 owner
i couldnt live with the old school interior for everyday driving it would ruin me amazing as the williams is i think its getting on it bit now if i wanted raw driving a would jus buy a 800pound vts and kick the sh1t outa it lol

williams and trophy
thing you have to think about....1*2's are 10 a penny...one on every street corner......not so with the williams.

if you sell the rb n get a willy, the only thing youl regret is not doing it sooner.

gains to be had from the f7r....quite a lot tbh.

very very mildly tuned, and mapped incorrectly for mods...

[youtube]mWiV5zFTbys[/youtube]

williams and trophy
you mean this 1 nob??

btw...no paint needed.and no overspray......hows 0002 going?? got all the front end overspray cleaned yet??

[youtube]Bqi431T-8Nc[/youtube]

Renaultsport Clio 172
edit12.jpg

Thats most recent i have, changed a few things since then (Coilovers, decat etc..)

Yeah another idea was to strip and get a set of buckets fitted, thing is, ill still probably want a Williams after that haha, i need to test drive one :approve:

Those things are beauty's. Your probably going through one of those phases where you really want something but in a few days you'll realise the 182 is awesome :cool:

Owning a williams as a daily driver would be a nightmare. Unless you have serious time / money to spend it will just deteriorate and fall apart.

Williams 1's are getting towards 20 years old now. I would think about it carefully, you have to really really love them to put up with them as a daily driver. The wheels alone are a nightmare to keep nice in salty winter.

R26
thing you have to think about....1*2's are 10 a penny...one on every street corner......not so with the williams.

if you sell the rb n get a willy, the only thing youl regret is not doing it sooner.

gains to be had from the f7r....quite a lot tbh.

very very mildly tuned, and mapped incorrectly for mods...

[youtube]mWiV5zFTbys[/youtube]

Yeah totally agree with that, i think ive only even see two on the road whereas theres alot of 1*2's around here.

That videos great, presume thats you in yours yeah?

Owning a williams as a daily driver would be a nightmare. Unless you have serious time / money to spend it will just deteriorate and fall apart.

Williams 1's are getting towards 20 years old now. I would think about it carefully, you have to really really love them to put up with them as a daily driver. The wheels alone are a nightmare to keep nice in salty winter.

Well if theyve been looked after well and had all the parts etc serviced/replaced which the two ive linked in the OP have, i dont see why they would be that much of a walletdrainer mate, but im just presuming :)

williams and trophy
yes mate thats one of them.. an £800 er...doesnt do me bad for the money, which is why i dont really care about wrapping it up lol.

as a daily..i wouldnt listen to nob there, his mums car only ever goes out to get thrashed to fuk by the motoring press, and bumped by them. as you say, looked after they are no less reliable than anything else out there

likwe i said the 1 in that vid was an £800 car, my over enthusiasm blew it up on the way home, car being stood for 3-4 years, little oil in, my right foot on country roads only to be expected tbh. but then, a £200 engine and a couple hours work to swap everything over and jobs a good un again.

this is the other one...0159.

[youtube]D4DTYrE3pWw[/youtube]

[youtube]hrq0Xqrzg8I[/youtube]

[youtube]4sHSPoJKjt4[/youtube]

a little less modded than the other one, 1st couple vids....but least it was mapped correctly for the mods ;)

Well if theyve been looked after well and had all the parts etc serviced/replaced which the two ive linked in the OP have, i dont see why they would be that much of a walletdrainer mate, but im just presuming :)

The general build quality is lower than the 172 variants. Trim and panels are less well fitting and less robust. The wheels are very very delicate when original. The paint is literally blown on to the wheels and is so so thin. The salt eats the wheels alive. The panels are thin and the seals wont do their job as they once did.

The result is a car that will trap water and is hard to keep in top condition. That doesnt matter if you have the time and money to spend. As a weekend car they take a lot of looking after. As a daily driver in the winter? Very hard car to keep in condition.

They wont break down, dont get me wrong, they are generally very reliable. If you are the type of guy that can live with a scruffy car and just want to drive it and wont get annoyed by deterioration then it could work for you.

However, dont delude yourself that a williams is going to be as easy to care for as your 182. You wont be able to get away with a quick wash once a week and then thrash it to death. Even on high price good condition cars, springs will be broken, joints worn, rubber perished etc.

Add 2k onto the price of the car to cover the problems you will find in the first 6 months (if you cant do it all yourself). For example, if you need a sill painting or touching up a new sill sticker is the best part of 100 quid now.

Audi TT 225 Quattro
you will be fine mate, Ive used mine daily for over 5 years and its been faultless. far to much rubbish on this forum saying they fall to bits ect. in that 5 years its seen a fair amount of trackdays , 100's of runs at the strip, plenty of daily runs to work then tesco for the shopping etc i keep on top of the maintenance myself and try to replace anything before it goes. done 1 clutch in my time and 1 gearbox but that's all. as for power, how big is your wallet really;)

you will be fine mate, Ive used mine daily for over 5 years and its been faultless. far to much rubbish on this forum saying they fall to bits ect. in that 5 years its seen a fair amount of trackdays , 100's of runs at the strip, plenty of daily runs to work then tesco for the shopping etc i keep on top of the maintenance myself and try to replace anything before it goes. done 1 clutch in my time and 1 gearbox but that's all. as for power, how big is your wallet really;)

Thats my entire point. Only a car to choose, if you can get stuck in and do it yourself. Otherwise the bills are horrendous.

williams and trophy
The general build quality is lower than the 172 variants. Trim and panels are less well fitting and less robust. The wheels are very very delicate when original. The paint is literally blown on to the wheels and is so so thin. The salt eats the wheels alive. The panels are thin and the seals wont do their job as they once did.

The result is a car that will trap water and is hard to keep in top condition. That doesnt matter if you have the time and money to spend. As a weekend car they take a lot of looking after. As a daily driver in the winter? Very hard car to keep in condition.

They wont break down, dont get me wrong, they are generally very reliable. If you are the type of guy that can live with a scruffy car and just want to drive it and wont get annoyed by deterioration then it could work for you.

However, dont delude yourself that a williams is going to be as easy to care for as your 182. You wont be able to get away with a quick wash once a week and then thrash it to death. Even on high price good condition cars, springs will be broken, joints worn, rubber perished etc.

Add 2k onto the price of the car to cover the problems you will find in the first 6 months (if you cant do it all yourself). For example, if you need a sill painting or touching up a new sill sticker is the best part of 100 quid now.

read as.....complete and utter sh!te^^^^^^^^^

2live i would love to see a close pic of the arches of your 0159 along with a copy of a newspaper from the last week in the shot. Can you get us one please?

williams and trophy
yes mate thats not a problem at all..........il have to get someone with a decent camera tho...still no bubbles, still no paintwork....jealous are ya??

R26
Seems very one sided on this forum when it comes to Williams! Ive signed up over at williamsclio.co.uk will have a look on there :)

I want to start doing more to my own cars anyway so if i do get one i guess it would be a good way to learn.

Still if anyone on here's got one and fancies taking me for a testdrive, fire me a PM over :)

Seems very one sided on this forum when it comes to Williams! Ive signed up over at williamsclio.co.uk will have a look on there :)

I want to start doing more to my own cars anyway so if i do get one i guess it would be a good way to learn.

Still if anyone on here's got one and fancies taking me for a testdrive, fire me a PM over :)

To be honest, asking a load of williams enthusiasts if you should buy a williams isnt the best idea. I would go to a multi make forum such as pistonheads and ask on there. The answer you get wont be biased in any way then.

If you ask on wc, they will all just tell you to buy one, without empathically considering your position.

R26
To be honest, asking a load of williams enthusiasts if you should buy a williams isnt the best idea. I would go to a multi make forum such as pistonheads and ask on there. The answer you get wont be biased in any way then.

If you ask on wc, they will all just tell you to buy one, without empathically considering your position.

Good idea, cheers for the help fella :)

williams and trophy

lol..still trying to discredit a forum your banned/hated on then huh??

bit like this forum tbh...how many accounts have you been banned from on here now stromba??

Good idea, cheers for the help fella :)

No problem. Why dont you find a garage with a williams for sale and drive it yourself? Much better than getting a ride with someone else. Just pretend you have the cash to buy and are looking to buy soon.

Also, remember that if you do, some are absolute nails. Try to drive a good one.

R26
If I was to part ex for the williams 1 I posted, what do you guys think I should be asking for moneywise from him? Mine done 53K FSH. He's asking quite a lot for it mind..

Im not 100% yet, just curious :)

Astra SRI/ Hornet
I'm thinking of doing the same but just to release some cash and it's a car I've always wanted to own. I just want a nice unmolested example and not go down the modding thing as that itself can create more problems. I don't use my car everyday though so can be off road while works getting done.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
You live in Whitby, by the sea.

You'll park it up the night you get it. Come out in the morning and it'll have dissolved do to the salt in the air!

Black Clio GT
out of the two williams you posted links too i would be looking at the 3 simplily because the advert is written better, says alot on my book.

if i had 5k ish to spend on a williams then it would have to be absolutly mint and need nothing.....

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
If you're getting a Williams you should look for a one, that's what I would be doing if I were to get another.

I think Stromba also has some valid points. The cars are old and will need alot of items replacing to get them back to delivery spec and handaling.

Rust is a constant worry and expensive to put right. If you want a mint Williams it will cost you.

However, I never really had too many rattles in the Williams so not sure if they are built alot worse than later RS models.

Civic Si
same old argument everytime when this conversation comes up! LoL

I had a Williams for over 4 years and in that time i had 1 problem which was the clutch cable snapping. (which is a common-ish issue anyway) apart from that, nothing.

Drove the car everyday for the entire time i owned it as well.

Sure i had to do the cambelt and clutch but thats too be expected tbh if it hasn't already been done.

As has been said, the rust is an issue. my rear arches were starting to go when mine got written off however that was after the car 12-13 years old and still on the original paintwork.

I never had an issue with the wheels either although they were refurbed just before i got it.

All in all, the cars looks awesome, sounds awesome and drives awesome.
Personally, i liked the retro cabin feel that the Williams has and imo, the seats are better than the standard 172\182 seats.

if ya have any questions mate, just give me a shout.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I had a 1.8 16v and that was a money pit - real nightmare.

If you pay extra for a good one I cant see there been any more problems then running any other car thats 15yrs old.

535d / t5 caravelle
What a crock of s**t! they are NOT UNRELIABLE! they are just as reliable as any other car of the same age, i used to rag the s**t out of mine, used it daily, usual problem with me, gearbox let go, so i sold it, oh and arches rusted, i am on the hunt for another one in the very near future as a track car, buy a good one and it will last................simple!

williams and trophy
What have you done to 0051? Yeah i know it hasnt had any body work, i saw the arches at the fcs.

then you will know in your VAST experience that it HAS had 1 arch done....no. 0051 that is.

n/s has had a bit of metal cut out, and new welded in, did this over 3 years ago now. and it cost me a sum total of £17 for the repair panel, and i think it was £5 er for the paint. did it myself, as above, is only a track car so doesnt have to be perfect.

but still....no rust is coming thru the repair yet.....and i thought it was a sh!te job, but it must be a lot better than i thought if it fooled you into thinking no work had been done....ang on tho...didnt you think that about yor mums too??

maybe that just goes to show how little you really know.

williamsclio.co.uk/forum
as people have said be very careful when buying a williams.

RUST is the biggest killer of these cars now. Good cars will fetch good money. Good money being 4k +. Check over it very well. if the sills / arches have gone it is alot of work to fix correctly.

Try and get a williams 1 over a 3. The 3's suffer the most with rust for some reason.

If you need any help please let me know.