ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams In-Dash speakers

According to the ICE info the Clios have Tweeters in the Dash and Speakers in the doors - simple. BUT Williams didnt get speakers in the doors - how do I tell if I have speakers or tweeters in the dash? There are FOUR cables connected to each one.

In My clio I has tweeters in the dash and mid woofers in the doors. I replaced just the door cones with some JBLs, I still have the standard tweeters.

To check in the dash remove the air vent to access the compartment behind the grill. Yes the TWEETER has four cables two inputs (from the headunit) and two out (to the door). The tweeter has the crossover (capacitor etc) built into the tweeter which is a bit annoying because if you were to upgrade to new component speakers the mid woofer has the crossover on it. It is very confusing

Check behind the grills in the doors and see if you have any flying leads that match the cables on the output of the tweeters. If there is no cables, you need to follow the cable leaving the tweeter and see where it goes (hopefully to the door junction box) good hunting.

The renault tweeters are fine but the midwoofers are crap you just need to replace these, whilst you are doing this replace the rear 10cm speakers aswell.

Have you got a different headunit?

Get back to me with an update, do you want to email you a circuit diragram?

Revels Mum & Sister

Mate

I would Either buy a set of components. Stick the woofer in the door and the tweeter where the dash is (Behind the air vents) and pop the crossover behind the tweeter and run of an Amp if possible. IF not a headunit. As long as it isnt the Original Headunit as that will not have enough power by far.

Another way if you didnt want to put speakers in the doors or cant then stick a set of 4" Co-Axials in the doors. JL do a nice set of 4" Co-Axials and sound the b****cks.

I would stick a set of 6X9s in the parcel shelf and mount them underneath and cover over the top with carpet.

As badley said the four wires are there for those connections he explained. I have found that the original tweeters whilst being good are a little harsh and unbalanced when used with Aftermarket Mids in the doors!

Clio Williams 1, 182,197

Carlos

The speakers below those air vents are crap !! Take em out and launch em.

Get your self a nice set of components. Use the space created by the crap speekers to mount the nice tweeters in !! Then cut some wholes in your door panels and mount the bigger speekers from the componants in the doors. I used some nice Phoienix Gold QX5S !! They fit just nice and with running em from a PPI amp they sound nice. When you can take the rear speekers out and launch them ! Replace with some nice mids !! Then you have a lovely stealth set up !! Run the front and rears from a decent 4 channel amp.

I wouldnt fit 6x9s on a willy shelf. Two reasons 1: coz people can see em !! 2: coz those shelfs aint cheap and paople who buy willys dont want holes cut in their shelfs normally.

Just my own opinion but by keeping it stealth looking no one need know what your running and try to nick em !!

Oh s**t sorry I did not realise that the williams had no pre-made space for the mid woofers in the doors, listen to Leigh

My doors have spaces but no speakers - there is also cables taped up inside the doors. These seem to come from the Dash Speakers. Im the same as you Leigh I dont want speakers on the parcel shelf.

So if I put some tweeters in the dash and some 5" or so components in the doors and replace the backs. I will possibly need a 4 channel amp aswell - I will be replacing the head unit at some point maybe first - can I get away without an amp?

What about crossovers? Do they come with components or do you buy them seperatly? And do you need power to run them?

Sorry about the 1000s of questions - Im a complete ICE Novice!

I like your style, rid of those 6x9s. ugly!!!

You need one to buy some components that have a separte crossover that you can mout in the dash along with the tweeter and you can use the current wire to the doors to power the mid woofers.

I would get some JLaudio components

Replace the rear 10cm speakers as well, which will improve rear treble alot and fading (front/rear balance)

Are you going to have a sub?

No - I need the whole boot unfortunatly - and due to the money spent buying the car I have to keep my ICE install to a very tight budget.

Clio Williams 1, 182,197

Carlos

Ok as bradley said use componants with a separate cross over.

Really you wanna get a head unit with 2 RCA OUT CHANELS. GET A AMP AND MOUNT IT IN THE BOOT.

Ok then wire the amp to one set of rca leads. then run decent wires from the amp to the componants cross over, that will split the mid/bass to the larger speakers (door mounted), then itll split the treble to the tweeters(dash mounted) the cross over is powered by the speaker cable. no separate power needed. Then fit your new rear speakers and run the speaker cables to the amp.

Oh dont forget to run a power lead to the battery from the amp and put a fuse in between the battery and the amp.

When funds allow you will have a spare set of rca leads from the head unit to add a sub and amp to power it.

You can do the first part with out an amp, but to be honest with you there wont be much power. Better sound yes but not much power. Even if you just by a cheap 4 channel amp to begin with, you can always upgrade as you go along.