ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams 3 rotten rear arch

Clio Williams 3
20140529_194646_zpsn0ywppbt.jpg
What are my options here? Cut out or whole new wing and likely costs? (And how do I stop this displaying like this?!)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'd be checking the inner wing and sills too. That's had a lot of filler so could be hiding a whole load of troubles...

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It's surprising what you find when restoring a Williams!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
any decent bodyshop worth its salt will be able to either fabricate you new or modify poverty spec panels to fit.

don't pay a little though, sub par job will mean it'll simply come back, spend some cash and get it done right if you want to keep/restore the car

where you based?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
ah right, I don't know that area, if you were more local I could recommend a couple of places

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
it has flared ones like the 1.8 16v. the poverty spec (RSi and below) have none flared rear arches and the chassis are also slightly longer.

the only readily, cheaply and easily available rear arch repair panels are poverty spec, as such they have to be modified to flare and fit the 1.8 16v or Williams.

however as said, any bodyshop worth its salt should be able to do this without issue

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
it could be chopped out yes but no easier for a bodyshop to refit more than likely and tbh most have rust somewhere so the likelihood of finding a good useable and trouble free second hand panel is slim

just get it to a bodyshop and get some advice imo, they no what they can and cant do.

my local one simply chopped out the bad metal and fabricated new from scratch, but as said they are decent and know their stuff

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Jamie supplied us with a chopped panel. It can be done. It's the sills that are the fun part...

Clio Williams 3
Right, on closer inspection the OS sill looks rust near the front arch, about 12 inches and the wing. My options are to buy a standard wing, cut out the arch section I need and reweld in or fill it was much as I can. Ideally I need a new 16v/Williams wing, the search begins.

X2 Clio Valvers
Right, on closer inspection the OS sill looks rust near the front arch, about 12 inches and the wing. My options are to buy a standard wing, cut out the arch section I need and reweld in or fill it was much as I can. Ideally I need a new 16v/Williams wing, the search begins.

If you happen to find rear quarts/wheel arches for a valver let me know please! I'm also faced with this problem while restoring my valver.
In my case inner sill is rotten too but inner arch looks okay.

If you happen to do the rear inner arches, afaik you can buy the panel from an early mk2 as they're the same. A mate of mine works in a body shop and he buys them as they're more readily available :lol:

Clio Williams 3
Its a bit of a challenge, shame they didn't make the rear wings of plastic too (although I did find some fibreglass ones).

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah your brother said that. The sill was erm interesting...

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
usual rule is you'll being to peel outer sill off, have to peel more off then expected, then expose what should be an inner sill and find nothing there either. then start chasing to the jack points and find they're gone too

and on and on it goes, lol!

mk1 ownership is great :)

X2 Clio Valvers
usual rule is you'll being to peel outer sill off, have to peel more off then expected, then expose what should be an inner sill and find nothing there either. then start chasing to the jack points and find they're gone too

and on and on it goes, lol!

mk1 ownership is great :)

Just had all this with mine lol

Where the back bumper bolts onto the end of the rear arch is kippered!
vyga8yse.jpg

epe7e3e8.jpg