ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams/172 shared parts

Williams 2
I'm breaking a ph1 at the moment and took the wishbones off today, when i saw them i was surprised how much they looked like the ones on my williams.

Put them side by side with williams wishbones and they look identical!

Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

If so what other parts are shared as im currently restoring my williams and knowing which 172 parts fit will be very handy!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
nothing is truly interchangeable, but you can bolt the whole 172 track onto a mk1. But mix and match it won't work due to bolt sizes, hub widths and other niggles. so a hybrid of both would be awkward.

Williams 2
Thanks for the replies, so what about the wishbones then? Im sure they were identical.

In fact im going to take a pic now anyone know a quick way to upload photos from iphone?

Williams 2
image_zpsep5cwr8k.jpg.html

Williams 2
172 ph1 wishbones are identical to williams i just checked again.

Struggling to upload photos will do it tomorrow when i have a desktop computer.

Williams 2
Im interested in this as if it is confirmed i can buy brand new wishbones for a reasonable price including new bushes etc

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
If you have two to compare in front of you then trust your own judgment.
I don't know if they are the same or not.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
It is a bit hard to tell but they do look different in the angle of the ball joint bolts. This would change the caster angle.

Williams 2
If you have two to compare in front of you then trust your own judgment.
I don't know if they are the same or not.

I dont think the ball joint bolts are different, I tried to get the balljoint off the williams wishbone but one of the bolts is a bit seized so I didn't bother.

If the angle is different it will be minimal as you can see in the pictures but to me they look identical.

The concensus seems to be nothing is interchangeable, but the rubber bushes are the same, widths and spacing of everything is the same, bolt holes, anti roll bar locator is the same, this part is interchangeable unless I am missing something?

Also of interest is the rubber gaitor for the gear linkage joint under the gearbox is identical. These can't be bought new for a williams but can for a 172.

Hi, there are 3 gaitors on the gear linkage, the parts numbers are 7700718856, 7700859626 and 7700104811 all I think are still available, the wishbones for the williams over the clio 2 are different part numbers from renault.

They aren't the same, when people fit the 172 stuff to a williams/valver it brings the wheels out further

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
The mk2 subframe is also different, 182 cup wishbones also look identical but it's tiny differences that are only noticeable if you take lots of detailed & accurate measurements between them that make up the bigger picture

Williams 2
Just took the balljoint off to check and the bolt holes are in the same place and same spacing test fitted the 172 wishbone into my williams subframe and it fits like a glove. 100% the same.

Interesting for all mk1 owners with possibilities for extra castor etc. Without changing anything else

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Just took the balljoint off to check and the bolt holes are in the same place and same spacing test fitted the 172 wishbone into my williams subframe and it fits like a glove. 100% the same.

Interesting for all mk1 owners with possibilities for extra castor etc. Without changing anything else

182 Cup wishbones are the weapon of choice for the extra castor

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
a lot of that stuff is very similar if not the same. megane and 19 have very similar wishbones, hubs are very similar, everything on the front end of those age cars would be easily swapped with not much work i imagine

Williams 2
IMG_0835.JPG Here I trial fitted the ph1 wishbone to my Williams subframe, measured all the bolt hole distances to the edge of subframe then did the same with the Williams wishbone. All dimensions EXACTLY the same, castor included

I thought this would have been common knowledge by now!?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
good work, nice bit of beta that. I'm not mega up on Williams stuff as I just ran all mine around as dailies until I sold them, were never projects so never changed wishbones
all I know is you need the 172 ball joint as well as the Williams item has smaller bolts and bolt holes