ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Will the new performance exhaust invalidate Renault Warranty ??

BMW E34 540i
As above just considering as an option but I would like to keep my manufactures warranty for whole 3 years.

Thanks in Advance

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
you would need to check with your dealer. It can be down to the dealers discretion, whether the modification has any bearing on a fault if it develops. For instance an exhaust wouldn't effect the gearbox, but technically you've changed the car.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
If car breaks in any significant way just swap it back.

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
you would need to check with your dealer. It can be down to the dealers discretion, whether the modification has any bearing on a fault if it develops. For instance an exhaust wouldn't effect the gearbox, but technically you've changed the car.

Not always true, the car "could" be generating more power/torque from the new exhaust there for putting more load on the gear box.... Most dealers will work hard to get out of warranty!

Dealers / manurfacturers have to prove the mod is resonsible for the failure.

ie 200hp of N20 in the engine and your box breaks then can say well its not designed to take that much extra load and none would question it.

I wouldn't worry much though most dealers are ok.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Not always true, the car "could" be generating more power/torque from the new exhaust there for putting more load on the gear box.... Most dealers will work hard to get out of warranty!

My local dealer said they made good money out of warranty claims so would have no issues with minor mods. Extended warranties is where the issues start as it is a 3rd party comapny who has to pay for it and will try to wriggle out of any claim!

BMW E34 540i
Can anyone recommend a dealer in North West area which will not have an issue with cat back system ? Basically I now have this proflow exhaust but to install it we need to cut the factory fitted pipe what any dealer will be able to see so theoretically can void my warranty. Unless it does not work like that and connecting bracket / weld will not matter for the dealer.

I went to ask to my local Renault garage lookers in Altrincham and the service manager said that exhaust change will void the warranty. :/

|I went to ask to my local Renault garage lookers in Altrincham and the service manager said that exhaust change will void the warranty. :/
it can only invalidate warently on some parts of the car and proving an exhaust is to blame is difficult.

Why do you need a Renault garage to go to?

BMW E34 540i
I do not need to go to Renault garage unless it is a warranty repair. Hypothetically I install the exhaust some little bit lets say window switch breaks. i go to the dealer and they say sorry your warranty have been voided due to modification.. I can't afford to loose the warranty but still want the exhaust :)

I do not need to go to Renault garage unless it is a warranty repair. Hypothetically I install the exhaust some little bit lets say window switch breaks. i go to the dealer and they say sorry your warranty have been voided due to modification.. I can't afford to loose the warranty but still want the exhaust :)

THey won't reject the claim.

Clio 197
Surely its not worth the risk!

despite what they say now, the exhaust change which is pretty obvious and cannot be disguised, will give them wriggle room to chin you off.

I would check the small print first before even considering this as the printed word is what they will fall back on

Listerine & Poledo
Just for the sake of having an exhaust that sounds OEM-blown, I fail to understand why you'd want to do this either.

Unless you're moneyed up to the hilt, in which case fair enough, but then, why worry about a warranty at all.

BMW E34 540i
Just got the reply from Renault Chester. Seems reasonable:

"The fitment of a non genuine exhaust will not void your entire warranty only parts directly affected by them. In the event of an injection problem, if there was an emission exhaust leak for example, we may need you to refit the old exhaust to eliminate the exhaust, so keep the old exhaust.

Make sure the new exhaust does not affect BHP or this will have an affect if there is an engine problem.

It may be worth while looking to see if Renault do a similar exhaust via a Renault sport web site."

Clio 197
Just got the reply from Renault Chester. Seems reasonable:

"The fitment of a non genuine exhaust will not void your entire warranty only parts directly affected by them. In the event of an injection problem, if there was an emission exhaust leak for example, we may need you to refit the old exhaust to eliminate the exhaust, so keep the old exhaust.

Make sure the new exhaust does not affect BHP or this will have an affect if there is an engine problem.

It may be worth while looking to see if Renault do a similar exhaust via a Renault sport web site."

you can guarantee if there is an engine problem they will argue the exhaust does increase BHP - they will always include a clause to allow them the get out of the agreed warranty if you start changing things. Personally i wouldnt change it, enjoy it for what it is.

BMW E34 540i
I made my hopes up after this reply but the true is that you are absolutely right. Since I am not one of those "moneyed up to the hill" I will stick with the genuine parts as long as the warranty goes on. Thanks for reaching my voice of reason ;) Will pack up the exhaust and wait till I can use it legally along with the remap and panel filter.

Thanks for valuable input.

GW 200 Gone :( BG182
Someone posted on the renault sport forums the other week about this, response from jeremy at RUK was;
'It will invalidate the warranty on any associated part' which has already been said :)

You have to understand dealers get agreement from RUK to do work and send the part (not always) off afterwards to get them checked to see why they failed. FI you go melt the heat shield the dealer won't do the work if the exhaust caused it as they know when they send the damaged heat shield off RUK will refuse to pay the dealer for the work etc