ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Will my car fail its MOT on?

Racing Blue 182
1) wrongly spaced number plate? I.e J8Y VX instead of J8 YVX
2) 3/4 front number plate?
3)HID headlight Conversion?
4)no centre console around the gear stick?

ok, lets not go into number 3, but what about the others?

Da

Less
1) Yes, mine did.
2) Yes illegal size.
3) Should do if they are vigilante.
4) Unknown.

Best of luck Jamie :)

D

dick

log book, err driving licence

im sure it says on the certifcate.

bin the 3/4. looks retarded with the cutout.

Da

Less
To buy the plates you need the V5 that proves the Registration number and I believe personal ID to prove who you are, for example Photo Driving Licence.

Golf GTI 1.8T
get some standard plates from your local auto factors (need to present V5 and ID normally)

get some double sided tape or the proper fixers and stick the new number plate over the top, thats all I did, well they did it for me.

HID - grey area at the mo aint it...

Gear stick, no that don't matter as long as it works correctly.

The VOSA MOT check list is good to look at before your test and check everything, I did my motorbike this morning before dropping it off at to the tester.

Heres the car one... http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/repository/MOT Inspection Checklist (VT 40).pdf

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
ASK on Kippax Main Street are good for plates Jamie if you need them quickly.

As for the gear stick surround, it isn't a fail point but if a tester is looking at a car with ropey areas, he is more likely to look for any hidden issues rather than judge it more by eye and not dig so deep.

Not a Clio anymore.....
I had 'illegal plates' (size and spacing) and went through 2 MOT's without a problem.

That was until the rozzers stopped me and issued me with a ticket to get it changed!

Racing Blue 182
ASK on Kippax Main Street are good for plates Jamie if you need them quickly.

As for the gear stick surround, it isn't a fail point but if a tester is looking at a car with ropey areas, he is more likely to look for any hidden issues rather than judge it more by eye and not dig so deep.

Cheers, hopefully they wil be open tnite.

The gear stick surround is off as its currently been painted, so cant realy do a lot about it.

Vauxhall in harrogate are doing the service and MOT, so hopefully they wont be realy tight.

RS Clio 200
3) hopefully - cos i sure as hell wouldnt want you behind me on the road if its not done 100% perfectly

Monaco Blue Mk2
I got a standard front plate for my MOT, pulled up at the MOT place, stuck it on with blue tack, passed, pulled it off! Probably would of passed it anyway though to be honest. Find yourself a reasonable, small backstreet place. HID's will be the only problem, if you find some backstreet place they may not bother or might turn a blind eye if you agree to say you had them fitted after the MOT.

Racing Blue 182
I have changed the plates, but couldnt get hold of any bulbs for my headlights, guess i will have to take the risk...

Racing Blue 182
Got the car done today failed its mot on a frontball joint

Never said anything about the HID's though. £220 to repair the ball joint.....f**k

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car

Never said anything about the HID's though. £220 to repair the ball joint.....f**k
Can you not do it yourself. It shouldn't be that big a job. I doubt it would cost half of that to replace the wishbone as well. That is assuming they have a similar set up to a conventional front wheel drive car.

Racing Blue 182

Can you not do it yourself. It shouldn't be that big a job. I doubt it would cost half of that to replace the wishbone as well. That is assuming they have a similar set up to a conventional front wheel drive car.

I dont have a clue when it comes to car mechanics and need my car back and road legal, so guess ill just have to fork out for it.

£500 job all in, but its not all that bad since my insurance renewal came through and its £400 cheaper than last year

KG Exige - ex-V6 owner
bin the 3/4. looks retarded with the cutout.
not on a vx220!

I could never really see the point of having a 3/4 plate on the VX no matter how much everyone banged on about them. I never hit any speed bumps with it, and when i did occasionally scrape the plate in a parking bay - i viewed it as a bit of a warning system. IE if i had a 3/4 plate it would have been the car scraping, not just the plate.