ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Will I regret not getting a 172 cup?

Ever since I decided my next car would be a rs clio, I've been trolling through autotrader on an hour basis. The price difference between the 172 cups and 182's really isn't that much! The more i heard about cups, the more i wanted one! I love the alloys, and the fact it's got the quickest sprint speed and mondial blue is pure sex! However I have seen some tidy 182's for sale which i can afford, I love the dual exhausts and xenons but can't stand the alloys! Really in an awkward position at the moment! The cups which have caught my eye are around the 3.5-4k mark, fsh, belts done and 50-60k on the clock. It looks like I can get a slightly newer 182 for the same price with lower mileage? Can't make up my mind, what are your opinions on the two and can you offer me any advice?

Go for a cup you wont be disappointed, the twin exhausts and standard wheels are just hideous on the 182, the way forward is stealth exhaust and turinis ;)

Clio Cup 172
I bought a cup for £2190, ok it needed the belts done and rear brakes and tyres (and i fitted recaros, an OMP wheel and a quick shifter... lol) but its a class wee thing! 4k is way too much!

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Buy a 182 IMO but make sure its got both cup packs. I'd much rather be sitting with climate control, nice leather and suede seats, both cup packs, xenons for a few hundred £'s over a cup.

Yes the cup is a little bit lighter, it does away with all the nice extra's you may want, no ABS, which some like or dislike....depends what sort of a driver you are really. It's only marginally quicker and slightly cheaper to do the cambelts due to not having Aircon but from my point of view it would have to be a 182 FF.

All these arguments about the cup being the fastest etc are just from people trying to justify having to give up the nice extra's. The only worthwhile things the cup has are turini's and no ABS.

IMO there isnt any major performance advantage in any of the 1*2's, they're all great cars and when you put your own personal tweaks on them they become even better.

Clio Cup 172
All these arguments about the cup being the fastest etc are just from people trying to justify having to give up the nice extra's. The only worthwhile things the cup has are turini's and no ABS.

I'm not sure I agree, I owed Trophy 369 and did love it, but i enjoy the cup more. I'm not remotely concerned about the extras (i have other cars for that) but the reason i prefer the cup I made the mods, and thats half the fun :)

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
. I'm not remotely concerned about the extras (i have other cars for that) but the reason i prefer the cup I made the mods, and thats half the fun :)

I completely agree if you have enough cash for another car then the Cup will be the more 'fun' car to use on weekends to put a smile on your face, but for an everyday weapon I'd much prefer the 182 as the Cup offers very little performance gain for the things you have to give up :)

Suzuki Jimny
The cup is too hot in summer, and more likely to crash in winter.

I hate mine for commuting, but get it on a nice road/track and you'll see why everyone loves them :)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Drive them all. Cup feels more eager, but doesn't handle any better than a 182 IMO. In all honesty, a ph2 172 with some decent coilovers will be more fun than either.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Owns a 182 IIRC ;)
errmmmm.........:eek:

They're all good cars, just decide whether you want xenons, air con, climate control, half leather and suede, a newer car and more power (slightly) or if you're not arsed and just want to go as fast as possible with the ability to have more driver input (no abs)

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I have to admit I love the brake pedal feedback from the cup, that was the only good thing I took away from driving my mates stone mint 30k Mile Cup, it was a very nice car but the better suspension on the trophy really makes the trophy a better standard car.

Modified vs modified I dont know, I will hopefully be able to reflect more in the summer as I'm sure Jimbo and I will have a swap one evening and put them through a few roundabouts/straights when they're both modified and see which is the better car then.....My money is on the cup tbh if its running coilovers....

Last edited:

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
172 Cups have a woeful interior. People will say the seats are the same, yadda yadda. However, the 172 interior is a nice place to be and has some nice touches - the Cup interior looks and feels pretty s**t. There is no speed difference between them despite what people have said. I've had a Williams, 172 and Trophy over the last 6.5 years and managed to have many encounters between all of them and there is f**k all difference - do not buy a car based upon anything to do with performance.

In addition, the Cup doesn't have ABS, which is a big negative imo. No idea why they cut that out, just increases the risk of locking up. Again this is countered by the exucse they're more raw. Up to you that one, but I'd much rather have it than not, especially in all this winter and snowy weather.

If I was in your shoes I'd simply get the best value for money car you can, excluding the Cups.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Cup for me every time over a standard phase 2. There are performance advantages, and listening to some people on here the normal 172 is some kind of Rolls Royce inside................... It might be if you call plastic blue seat covers 'leather'.

Saying that i'd now probably have either a 182 Cup in Inferno, or a Cupped 182......... or better still a 172 Cup with Climate. Just makes it a bit better come summer time.

Clio 172 cup
ph1 172 is the most 'Raw' IIRC :eek:

my mate has a trophy, another mate has just sold his ph1, i have a 172cup,
the trophy has a better driving position because it has buckets seats standard but thats it, the cup feels quicker and on paper it is quicker even if it is only milli-seconds, the cups lighter and handles just the same as the trophy if not better :) ph1s are cool just not as cool as the cups
simples!! :)

320d
I'd probably go for the 182. I can't really see any advantage of a 172 cup over a ph1 172. The ph1 is just as light bar 15kg which is negligible and has the cable throttle for the better throttle response, has ABS and AC.

Stripped yozza'd cup
The cup is not more likely to crash! It's fools who can't use their brakes who crash them! People make out like cups just crash themselves when it's slippery.

The 172cup is quicker than a 182. Fact. Regardless of what you own, a car that ~100kg lighter will always be quicker. Plus, the lack of a/c means less engine power is wasted.

You'll regret not buying a cup. Just do it :)

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
The 172cup is quicker than a 182. Fact. Regardless of what you own, a car that ~100kg lighter will always be quicker. Plus, the lack of a/c means less engine power is wasted.

The engines can vary to much for that to be Fact so therefore isn't where CS's are concerned!
As for the ABS thing if you drive carefully it shouldn't be much of an issue. But we can all get caught out from time to time even driving carefully and anyone who thinks they can control a lockup as well as ABS is quite frankly a muppet...

As for which I would have it would be the 182. Newer, better interior and you will have just as much fun in it on a good road.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
The engines can vary to much for that to be Fact so therefore isn't where CS's are concerned!
As for the ABS thing if you drive carefully it shouldn't be much of an issue. But we can all get caught out from time to time even driving carefully and anyone who thinks they can control a lockup as well as ABS is quite frankly a muppet...

As for which I would have it would be the 182. Newer, better interior and you will have just as much fun in it on a good road.

I pretty much agree with this, especially the first line. Engines vary so much, some make in the 160's, others make high 180's regardless of model.

Stripped yozza'd cup
BUT, I'd much rather have better brake feel and control ALL of the time. When it's slippery, I 100% would rather be able to feel what was going on over having electronics sort it out for you

I drive my cup as a daily, drove it every day in the snow and not a single problem. watching people with abs lock up and slide into other traffic, up kerbs etc etc. If it's really slippery, abs is useless anyway.

You can't really take the power of each individual engine into account when buying a car. Short of testing each one, you'll never know

He said he's not interested in luxuries and extras, so it has to be a cup.

Plus, the whole sleeper thing that the cup has is much cooler than the gay 182 exhausts ;)

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
You're attempting to make yourself sound like a racing driver on a circuit. "more feel" blah blah. When someone pulls out on you you'll be doing the same thing as everyone else and ploughing the brake pedal and locking up. As long as you're cautious and have some common sense you're not likely to have any problems in the snow so I wouldn't take that to mean you're superhuman behind the wheel.

Stripped yozza'd cup
It certainly doesn't take an epic racing driver to notice more feel through the brake pedal. It's been said on here many times. Not having abs gives you better brake pedal feel. That's how I would prefer my car to be.

How was I saying I was superhuman???? I didn't say a thing about my driving, I said not having abs is an advantage when it's really slippery.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
BUT, I'd much rather have better brake feel and control ALL of the time. When it's slippery, I 100% would rather be able to feel what was going on over having electronics sort it out for you

You can feel all you need on normal 1*2's. It's not like the ABS kicks in the 2nd you touch the brakes even in the wet!!

I drive my cup as a daily, drove it every day in the snow and not a single problem. watching people with abs lock up and slide into other traffic, up kerbs etc etc. If it's really slippery, abs is useless anyway.

The old "snow" one again... It snows a week a 2 of the year. I also drove in it without any problems. Any other time ABS is much safer.

You can't really take the power of each individual engine into account when buying a car. Short of testing each one, you'll never know

Therefore your "Fact" that cups are quicker is null and void!!

He said he's not interested in luxuries and extras, so it has to be a cup.

Thats why I gave MY opinion... Not being interested in them doesn't mean he doesn't want them

Plus, the whole sleeper thing that the cup has is much cooler than the gay 182 exhausts ;)

Sleeper lol. a standard 172 would do that job much better...

Stripped yozza'd cup
Yep, a normal 172 would do that better. But he was asking about a 172 cup or a 182.

Why are people on here so argumentative? I was just giving my view of things, the same as everyone else has done.

If you took an average of every cup and an average of every 182. The cups would win. Assuming the average power from any given number of cups would be about the same as the average for the 182. The cup is lighter, that will always make it quicker.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I said not having abs is an advantage when it's really slippery.

Really??

Taken from Ehow

On roads that are partially covered by ice, ABS can help the driver stop and steer the vehicle more effectively, provided he keeps the brake pedal depressed, and does not pump the brakes. Under severe conditions when the entire road is covered with ice, all four wheels may lock simultaneously. Unless at least one wheel is turning, the ABS will react as if the vehicle has stopped. When this occurs, the ABS is defeated, and the driver will need to go back to the pumping technique.