ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Will Gearbox from 182 fit 172 Phase 1?

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
They are different ratios and iirc one of them has a speed sensor on the gear box and the other doesnt, not sure which way round that is.

Lots of Alfas
The 172mk1 box has slightly longer ratios and the speedo sensor is took from a sensor on the box, not from the abs. Theres also loads of other minor differences such as the oil breather. Ideally you;ll need another ph1 box.

Lots of Alfas
a 182 cup has abs, a 172cup gearbox maybe used as they have the speedo sensor, try searching im sure youll find the answer, its been asked before.

Clio 172 sport
I have just read on another thread that a clio williams gearbox would fit or a gearbox from a mk1 clio.... Is this true?

Lots of Alfas
It will probably fit, they are all very similar and look similar but again the ratios are different. A 172cup gearbox may improve the acceleration a tad. Can you get a company to rebuild/remanufacture your old box?

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
I have just read on another thread that a clio williams gearbox would fit or a gearbox from a mk1 clio.... Is this true?

That's sort of correct, but I wouldn't use a box from anything less than a williams, your 172 would kill it pretty quick:S
You need a JC5 gearbox, as that's what your ph1 has, there are a lot of variations of the JC5 all with different ratios, fitted to various renault cars, have a look at this thread http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27316&highlight=gearbox+ratios

You can use it to find a JC5 box with the most suitable or similar ratios that match your 172 box. From that you will have the gearbox code and I'm sure somebody will be able to tell you what car that JC5 box is from, which should make it a bit easier for you.

JC5 014 is a williams box
JC5 091 is from a megane coupe - just for reference - hope it helps

172 cup TT
i txt you about this chap - hope it helped.

On a further note - Ive heard of someone fit a 1.6 16v box to a 172 cup once, slightly modified a bracket of somesort but drove the same as when it had the normal cup box on.

i txt you about this chap - hope it helped.

On a further note - Ive heard of someone fit a 1.6 16v box to a 172 cup once, slightly modified a bracket of somesort but drove the same as when it had the normal cup box on.

How long did it last? Im im the proces of doing the same