ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Will a crash in a works vehicle with business insurance effect my personal insurance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  RS6 C7
i was driving down the motorway today and there was 100s of police cars on the other side of the road in a massive convoy, Some guy ahad must have been looking at it and wasnt paying attension and he swerved causing the van infront of me to slam his brakes on which gave me no time to react, i wasnt even that close but i just couldnt stop in time and im sure the van infront had no brake lights. Anyway as i hit him from behind im guessing it will be my fault but as im driving the company i work fors vehicle and the insurance is business will this effect my peronal car insurance? I drive all day so the chances of me crashing are higher.

Re: Will a crash in a works vehicle with business insurance effect my personal insura

So you were rubber necking and crashed into someone?

It'll be your fault and it will effect your premium as the box that says 'Have you had an accident in the last 5 years?' applies to any policy.

RS6 C7
Re: Will a crash in a works vehicle with business insurance effect my personal insura

i wasnt but the guy in front was and he swerved, The van has a fault with the abs and brakes locked on...., I know its classed as my fault as i hit him, The traffic officer that was right behind me said its not my fault but it will have to go through my insurance and the guy i hit said the f**king guy in the other car should get the blame I guess its just one of those thing. I was told that business insurance is totaly different but i will ask around see what i can find out :(

Evo 5 RS

I love the term rubber necking lol

CBR1000RR Fireblade

No it won't.

RS6 C7

So when i renew my personal insurance i wont need to tell them i have had an accident?

CBR1000RR Fireblade

I wouldn't, rs got nothing to do with your personal insurance. If I had a crash in my car I would tell the insurance company. If I had a crash in my van I wouldn't. I think it's a grey area tbh but that is my view on it all.

i wasnt but the guy in front was and he swerved, The van has a fault with the abs and brakes locked on...., I know its classed as my fault as i hit him, The traffic officer that was right behind me said its not my fault but it will have to go through my insurance and the guy i hit said the f**king guy in the other car should get the blame I guess its just one of those thing. I was told that business insurance is totaly different but i will ask around see what i can find out :(

True. But. You were too close to stop.

It will effect your insurance. It says 'Have you had an accident in the last 5 years?' not 'Have you had an accident in the last 5 years (but don't worry about your works van)?'

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS

www.elephant.co.uk said:
Do you have any accidents, losses, thefts, incidents or claims in the last three years (regardless of fault)?

The answers would be 'YES'.

RS6 C7

i had 500kg on bpard aswell so the stopping distance will be longer so its hard to judge but i couldnt belive how long it took to slow down...

Clio 172

wouldnt have any effect, your personal insurance is just that nd business insurance claims do not apply to it, so you will not have to put down any claims you've had in the last 5 years if they are on business

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member

i had 500kg on bpard aswell so the stopping distance will be longer so its hard to judge but i couldnt belive how long it took to slow down...

That's no excuse!

I am always carrying heavy loads in the Hilux. I just adjust my driving to suit the load/ weight I am carrying.

Clio 200

A dont think it will affect your personal insurance... My friend from work crashed the van into a bus and claimed it was all his fault and our company paid the damages made sure he was ok and then got a written warning for misconduct..

RS6 C7

ABS was broke in the van aswell so it just skidded, i had more than enough distance to stop i my opinion but as i didnt see any brake light from the van my reaction where delayed, i still take full responibility but its just an accident at the end of the day just glad everyone was fine :)

True. But. You were too close to stop.

It will effect your insurance. It says 'Have you had an accident in the last 5 years?' not 'Have you had an accident in the last 5 years (but don't worry about your works van)?'

This.

Lol at people not able to answer a simple question honestly and correctly.

MR2 Mk1.5

Yes, you will need to declare the claim.

I'm not why people are telling you otherwise, awful advice to give out on a public forum, if you dont know, or are unsure then dont offer advice!

Listerine & Poledo

You went into the back of someone. Your fault.

Have you been involved in any accidents in the last X years? Yes

Ergo - Premium +

Mini Cooper S

Are you a named driver on the company car, or is it just a pool car for anyone and everyone to use?

IIRC it's worded along the lines of "have you been involved in any accidents/losses your fault or otherwise in the last 5 years which have resulted in a claim" So in short yes, you do have to let them know.

i was driving down the motorway today and there was 100s of police cars on the other side of the road in a massive convoy, Some guy ahad must have been looking at it and wasnt paying attension and he swerved causing the van infront of me to slam his brakes on which gave me no time to react, i wasnt even that close but i just couldnt stop in time and im sure the van infront had no brake lights. Anyway as i hit him from behind im guessing it will be my fault but as im driving the company i work fors vehicle and the insurance is business will this effect my peronal car insurance? I drive all day so the chances of me crashing are higher.

ABS was broke in the van aswell so it just skidded, i had more than enough distance to stop i my opinion but as i didnt see any brake light from the van my reaction where delayed, i still take full responibility but its just an accident at the end of the day just glad everyone was fine :)

oh and lol at this, typical CS. Was there any diesel on the road?

Clio Trophy

it doesnt affect ur personal insurance cus come to the renewal ul still get an extra no year bonus. business insurance is exempt, i work driving buses and had a few bumps and scuffs with other times. business insurance is usually 3rd party depending on company. stagecoach is insured 3rd party for the first 500k then fully comp after that.

doesnt affect your personal premium and u dont need to declare it on personal insurance

Clio Trophy

answer is simply because you cant accumulate no claims on business insurance

PH1 iceburg

SO even though the guy from sky onsurance has posted in here that you do need to declare it people are still saying you don't. Unbeleivable, really is.

Once again for those with eye sight or basic reading comprehension problems.

I'm not why people are telling you otherwise, awful advice to give out on a public forum, if you dont know, or are unsure then dont offer advice!

That's information from an insurer not an opinion from someone who thinks they know what they're on about^^

/thread.

Clio 182 + Recaros

The key word being "Any" - so you will need to declare it to your insurers.

As an Edit - I do work for a law firm and although I don't deal with personal injury and RTA claims - the best advice I can give you is always read the contract.

RS6 C7

im a named driver on a company van, I only ever use it to deliver in, its only me and my dad that are on the policy

Clio Trophy

i guess every company is different then

if i hit a car in the bus my company pays for the damage because they are liable for the first xxx excess.... there fore insurance wasnt required...

so ask your compnay if it went through insurance or if the company paid it from there insurance excess...

Clio

Should still legally declare you've had an accident whether an insurance claim is made or not. Some bloke reveresed into me once, we exchanged details, I later rang him and said i was having some work done on the car anyway so forget about it, he had already contacted his insurance company so rang them to say no worries there was not a claim being made.

When I got my renewal through they had included the accident on it, I rang them to say I wasn't even in the car at the time and they said tough s**t, an accident is an accident regardless of any claim or blame.

Titanium 182

If you crash on cs it's always your fault.

Listerine & Poledo

So, let us recap./

If you have an accident, in a motor vehicle, whether it's yours or not.
You have to declare it.

If you weren't looking where you were giong at the time (due to y0!, hero antics, minge, diesel, or not having your Xenons on at the time) then....well, tough.

Listerine & Poledo

If you crash on cs it's always your fault.

It you crash in the real, dont post it on CS unless you can state, with irrefutable evidence, that it was NOT your fault.

Especially if the last threads on your name have anything to do with being a hero/coilovers/remaps

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

So, being aware of the extra load you were carrying along with the faulty brakes, you made no allowance for the extra distance you knew it would take you to stop? Clever.

Of course you have to tell your insurance company about the claim...they assess the risk you represent as a driver and your ability to avoid having accidents. That's why they ask the questions others have posted above, to see if you spend your time looking at the other carriageway. Which you do. So your premium will go up.

mondeo titanium tdci

So, let us recap./

If you have an accident, in a motor vehicle, whether it's yours or not.
You have to declare it.

If you weren't looking where you were giong at the time (due to y0!, hero antics, minge, diesel, or not having your Xenons on at the time) then....well, tough.

Good old clio sport ha ha lol

Audi S1

In simple term. Yes.

LOL @ your excuses though.

350z, Subaru Legacy

Absolutely nothing to do with who owns the vehicle or who pays for the insurance - it is all about YOU and YOUR ability to drive, insurance is based on risk. If you are a sh1t driver you are a bigger risk to insure. Simple as that. 100% YES YOU MUST DECLARE IT.

As to the bus driver who hasn't declared multiple accidents to his personal insurance, good luck in court if you ever have a big accident that get's disputed....

RS6 C7

Many people have told me i dont need to declare it as im driving under business insurance, If someone drives all day for a living as i do their chances of crashing are obviously higher, i have put 103,000 miles on the van in just over 2 years...., I need to find better advice as half the people on here think they know everything but when it comes down to it they know s**t, I didnt ask if the accident was my fault i asked if i should declare it or not...

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

I need to find better advice as half the people on here think they know everything but when it comes down to it they know s**t, I didnt ask if the accident was my fault i asked if i should declare it or not...

LOL

The first quote above is from a representative of an insurance company, and still you think people on here 'know s**t'.

I give up. Pass me a shotgun, I'll do myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.