ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Will a 197 Gearbox fit a 182?

Clio 182 FF cup'd
A friend of mine just had a focus st gearbox fitted to his volvo T5 because they use the same 5 pot turbo engine.. Because the clio 182 and the 197 have pretty much the same F4r engine would the gear box fit as a upgrade if the 182 box fails at some point?

6th gear on a motorway cruise in a 182 sounds like heaven :rasp:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Depends how you define fit. It can be made to fit. But it won't just bolt on.

And it wouldn't be heaven. Despite being a six speeder, the 197 box has shorter and closer spaced ratios, so on the motorway it would probably rev higher at cruising speeds!

Last edited:
  Golf GTD Mk7
Depends how you define fit. It can be made to fit. But it won't just bolt on.

And it wouldn't be heaven. Despite being a six speeder, the 197 box has shorter and closer spaced ratios, so on the motorway it would probably rev higher at cruising speeds!

The man speaks sense. No point at all and 197 box will cost a lot more

Not a 320d
And break down. The TL4 is s**t. I think the JC5 is also a lot quicker to operate, or it certainly feels it.

Clio 182 FF cup'd
Ahh ok, my 182 gearbox is still going strong atm but with the amount of gearbox failures on here thought there could be a alternative box out there..

Just one more question would the 200 box not be a better option then? that has shorter ratios 1,2,3 and a extended 6th ratio for motorways, has anybody tried this on here?

clio sport ph 1
I got a 1.4 16v gearbox to my phase 1 172 , gear 5 is the same rpm as the jc5!!! 3500rpm 120km/u
but dam it goes fast to the limiter[:approve: