ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Will 172 Turinis affect the handling of 182 with cup packs?

Clio 182 FF
As per the thread title will fitting clio 172 cup turini wheels to 182 with cup packs affect the handling? Had a search but all the threads seem to be cosmetic and rubbing based.

My car will remain on its standard suspension for some time.

182FF
The offset difference is about 7mm which is potentially significant for some suspension geometry, king pin offset I think.
Having said that, I have done exactly the same and haven't noticed any degradation in handling! I did ask myself the same question and did it anyway but it's fine.

What's the offset of 172 cup turinies? ET38 or something?

Either way it will be fine. If it wouldn't then how do you think people are able to safely add spacers as well :smile:

I once read that you shouldn't ideally go more than 10mm from the standard offset. 182 wheels are ET43 I think. So that would mean you could get the 172 cup turinis, which sit 5mm wider and then add a 5mm spacer each side and still be within ideal tolerances.

How much of this is hype and how much is actually noticeable I don't know. I'm sure someone clever like @MarkMayfield will be able to expand on this if needed.

Clio 182 FF
As I understand it 172 turinis are ET37 iirc which means the rim is pushed out further than 182 wheels (ET43) from the hub. 182s with cup packs have wider hubs so the wheels are ET43 to account for this (giving narrower track on non cup pack 182?). So putting ET37 wheels on a cup pack car will give an even wider stance than intended from factory. This then must affect the geometry in some way? or is it inconsequential?

Apologies if my terminology isnt correct im trying to work out what each term relates to as i go.

Listerine & Poledo
If you notice the difference then unless you're already a test driver for some manufacturer, you're in the wrong profession.
There'll be a massive placebo effect when you put the new wheels on, backed up by having a different set of tyres.
But other than that, no, there'll be almost precisely no tangible different.

I went from 205/45/16's on Fondmetals to 195/50/15 on Enkeis and the only thing I think I noticed was a marginally better ride on poor surfaces. Maybe

RB Clio 182
When i went from standard 182 wheels to ultraleggeras i did notice a difference with the steering feel, probably due to the weight difference, but the ultas feel so much better and direct imo.

182FF
Certain aspects of geometry are very sensitive, why else would that have bothered making 182 trophy turini offset the same as normal 182 and not just use 172 cup turini which was an existing part number?

I'm certainly not an expert but I work with experts and I know some things are sensitive even to a few mm. Like I said though in this case it's fine as far as I can tell. I'd just avoid sticking massive spacers on!