ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wifi Range Help

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I need internet access in my workshop and am having trouble getting it there

on the below pic currently my phone line comes in at the red dot, right at the front of my house. this is where my bt homehub is, so I get zero internet in my workshop.

got a second wireless router and put it in the loft to see if I could pick it up in my workshop and no, zero, nothing.

so now im thinking about running an Ethernet cable down the outside of my house and putting my second wireless router in a water tight plastic box at the back of my house near my garage blue dot. just done a test run and although I get internet I only get a low signal in my workshop, so I was thinking about any range extenders or something I might be able to get to help.

Untitled_zps2bd69860.jpg

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
my workshop is right at the end of my garage, my garage is like 13 metres long. the front of the garage is about 6 metres from my house, at the front of my garage I get great signal. go to the back of my garage where my workshop is and I get low signal. probably cos its full of machinery and metal cupboards and as most garages a big metal door.

no idea how these work or if they are any good, but plan was to put one of these right at the front of my garage in a plug socket on the wall.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/netgear-wifi-range-booster-for-mobile-devices-661733

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
@andy_con Is it on the same ring mains?

I would use a homeplug device to get wireless access into the garage. Something like:

http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/home-sol...11av-powerline-av-500-wireless-n--starter-kit

You plug one socket into a plug near your router and then connect the router to it via a network cable.

Then place the wireless plug in your garage, it will transmit the internet through the electrical mains and broadcast a wireless signal within.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
thats currently how i get my internet in the garage and theya re poo, slow and always dropping out

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
due to the route needed to get a cable into the garage im trying to avoid buying armoured cat5 cable and digging up my back garden.

Polo + Micra
They are normally better than wireless, so its either poor house wiring (different ring etc) or faulty units.

i highly doubt his garage is on the ring final for his house sockets.

can't you just bury some plastic conduit where you need the armoured part?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I could do anything, but its a right faff.

im trying to make things slightly easier for myself and go wireless

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I'd have to run the cable from the roof, down the side of my house, then around my house, around the conservatory, then dig up the concrete path in my garden to get to the front of the garage. I'd then have to redo the garden path in concrete

Its such a faff which im trying to avoid