ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wifi for cottages

I've been asked by a website client how they could offer their holidaymakers WiFi. I've never put Wifi in anywhere other than a home wifi using one router, so calling on the tech-heads of CS for some advice. There's 6 cottages, as shown in the pic, the BT phone line comes into the office which is arrowed, attached to cottage 1.

The site is 50 yards by 30 yards, and 55 yards diagonally across from the edge of the shed to the corner of cottage 5.

What sort of stuff should I be looking at to make this work?

Thanks. :)

2mr79tk.jpg

340i
You would probably want something like:

Phone line to Cottage 1 > modem > router (with DHCP configured) > CAT6 to each location / cottage > Wireless Access Point ?

Deepening on the range of your AP you might not need one in each cottage.

If there are not enough ports on the router just add a switch to it.

You can add wireless repeaters which don't require cables, but if they're thick stone walls, it may not work. I would start with an access point in the office and test the range.

Rav4
Depending on budget, Ruckus wireless stuff is s**t hot!

An alternative which is more economical would be to use Ubiquiti Unify devices, I get mine from 4GON in Chelmsford (they have a website)

They are easy to use, good price. Reliable and good speeds.

You could also create a mesh with Apple's stuff, not commercial* but easy to setup and use.

Can anyone recommend a Wireless access point? Basically got a garage which is too far away from the house to use the WIFI so have run a Cat 6 wire from the router in the house out to the garage (Overhead) and now want to use a Wireless access point in the garage to use Apple TV and phones on wifi etc? Is my understanding correct and this is how Wireless access points work?

Thanks

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Yup, tbf any should work I use an el cheapo tp link blue box this that works well.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Can anyone recommend a Wireless access point? Basically got a garage which is too far away from the house to use the WIFI so have run a Cat 6 wire from the router in the house out to the garage (Overhead) and now want to use a Wireless access point in the garage to use Apple TV and phones on wifi etc? Is my understanding correct and this is how Wireless access points work?

Thanks

just plug an old router in if you have one and disable DHCP.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Thanks chaps, sorry Simon what is dhcp? I'm not very good with computer things lol

It gives your devices IP addresses, just go into the router/access point settings and make sure it's set to off. That's all you really need to know.

Mmmmm that sounds like it might clash with the CCTV that the setting had to be changed for to stop the IP address changing. Thanks for your help mate will look into it more :)

340i
Mmmmm that sounds like it might clash with the CCTV that the setting had to be changed for to stop the IP address changing. Thanks for your help mate will look into it more :)

Having DHCP turned OFF won't affect your camera system, I suspect they are on a static IP (it doesn't change)?