ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wifi Extenter

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I need to get a wifi extender as I am currently using a wired connection for my PC but would like the wifi for my phone and other stuff.
The set up I currently have is:
A wired connection direct from the router as wfi doesn't reach my flat. The router is in my land lords house, I live in a converted garage on the drive way. I want something to plug the ethernet cable that is in my flat that will then use the wifi.
I have seen this: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/netgear-wn3000rp-200uks-n300-universal-wifi-range-extender
But doesnt this plug into the socket to somehow use the power cables to transmit the wifi? As I son't know if my electrics are ont he same circuit as the main house (I have my own RCB box and that). Doe's anyone know of anything which I am after?

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I have an old router but it doesn't work what I want it to do. I will have a look at that in a bit, as I know Scan are a bit pricey, especially their postage!

The router will do the job if you have one. Change the routers IP address so it doesn't conflict with the actual router. Turn off DHCP and then connect the Ethernet cable to one of the 4 ports on the back. You can then essentially have your own 'wireless network' and have 3 ports spare on the back to use with the PC etc..

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Oh, I wasn't doing it correct then. As my computer was connecting to the old wifi network, I must have missed a setting when I was logged into the old router trying to set it up.
Yeah that is what I want, a wireless network in the flat that is jumped from the main router. Will give this a go after dinner

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
@Adam D you hero. It now works!! Although I was a bit confused using the router's old username and password so weirdly thought that I was logging into my old account and was going to get charged!
Although my PC has decided to not have its wifi card anymore so I have to re-install the drivers, or I hope that is the case!!!

Make sure the router is on a different ip to the main router and also make sure it's on the same range ie change it from 192.168.X.1 to 192.168.X.100 (you could do .2 but there is a high chance something already is currently using it)

Save the settings then log back into the router with the new IP. Now find the DHCP settings and turn DHCP off. soon as you do this you'll probably lose connectivity to the router. You can now plug in the cable from the main router into one of the 4 from the new one.

You should now be able to plug a wire from your pc into the second router for your pc and turn off the wireless on that and use your phone etc on your new wireless SSID.