ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wide Angle lens....

SchwepTek™
Been playing with Canon 10-22 lately and its awesome although my mate didnt appreciate the distortion.... haha

74420_584141311837_286602988_4857393_1954368_n.jpg

Sigma 10-20 is a good one to consider too.

Oil Burner
10-20 is a proven lens and you will find used ones a bit cheaper than that. Although the Canon 10-22 is probably the best performing Super Wide Angle lens about, naturally the price reflects this.

Oil Burner
Tokina 11-16 2.8 might be worth a look if low light is a requirement. It gets pretty decent reviews. Somewhere between the Sigma and Canon in price.

Tokina and Sigma seem to be the choices for UWA from what I have read. I certainly rated my Siggy 10-20.

If you're buying used just make sure of the version you're buying. I know there's 2 Sigma 10-20's - the old f4-5.6 and the newer f3.5 - plus a 12-24 (all of em are pretty good tbh). And Tokina have done a few UWA's (the aforementioned 11-16 being the most highly regarded). The Tamron wide angles never seem to get the rave reviews that their mid-range zooms do. Only ever had their 28-75 though so can't comment personally.

The Canon 10-22 is generally regarded as being at least as good as anything out there but it aint cheap.

Cupra
I used to have a Tokina 12-24 f4 on my 40D. It was an awesome lens, built like a tank and sharp pics through the range. I was sad to let it go but I could only use it from 18mm onwards on my 5DII.

Nikon D700
Heard good things about the 10-20 from Sigma. For the amount you'll actually end up using it, I don't think the canon/nikon ones are justifiable.

Just got a dead cheap sigma 17-35mm f2.8-4 delivered. It's for full frame though, so true 17mm, about the same as the 10mm on little frame. Wont be worth it on small frame though... would be 25mm+

vtr, 172, s1 rallye
10-20 is a proven lens and you will find used ones a bit cheaper than that. Although the Canon 10-22 is probably the best performing Super Wide Angle lens about, naturally the price reflects this.

16-35 blows it well out of the water ;) Although its only 16mm on the ff like the 10mm is on 1.6.

on topic.
Personally I felt the siggy 10-20 was much better value than the canon i had plenty of published pics with it and would still have it to this day if it wasnt a dc lens.

vtr, 172, s1 rallye
The 16-35 isn't a super wide angle is it ;)

Certainly not on a 1.6

Also its about 4/5 Sigma 10-20's lol

like i say only on FF. But it is canons UWA in EF mount. Exactly the same as the 10mm on 1.6 crop.

17-40L is a much better deal for anyone not needing 2.8 glass mind. You need one of them :D

In the OP a used siggy 10-20 for between 250-280 would be perfectamondo

RRS, 172, ST3, VTS
What lens would be best for taking photos indoors of house rooms? Finding my current lens does not fit the whole room in.

RRS, 172, ST3, VTS
Its a way of fitting more of the room in, if thats more important than the distortion in the image then it might suit his needs.

Quality needs to be good. I'm an estate agent so need to be good quality for web and printing. Would fisheye suit this?

LOL! No a fisheye would look awful! You would need probably a 10 or 12mm lens, and then correct the distortion in photoshop after.

DO NOT GET A FISHEYE!

fisheye-sb-400-DSC_2370.jpg

Thats an example of fisheye. Yes you fit a lot in the frame, but it doesnt look professional at all. You can correct it to a certain extent, but you would end up cropping the image, so you're better off with a normal wide angle anyway.

RRS, 172, ST3, VTS
On a DX chip, I used a Nikon 12-24mm with excellent results. I also hear very good things about the Sigma 10-20 which has been mentioned.

Thanks mate appreciate the help. Have you any examples of indoor stuff you have taken with that lens? Agree about the fisheye would look very unprofessional.

2.2 bar shed.
I wouldnt use fisheye for indoor photography - you'll get horrific distortion.

Not always a bad thing, can get some great shots with them though. But saying that, they're definitely not for everyone, and I'd say my fisheye's only on 5-10% of the time at most.

Wow - just saw the estate agent bit. Nah, fisheye = run for the hills!

Oil Burner
Just get a sigma 10-20 that will suit you well (if it works on the D40?, i think that only takes AF-S)

Fish eye not such a great idea for an estate agent. Unless your customers are stoned.