ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why you should check your rear bearings.

Sunflower Ph1 172
Hopefully this will prevent a disaster for someone...

As most will know, the rear bearings on the 1*2 is insude the rear disk, this means they are essentially changed every time you fit new disks (those that are supplied with bearings). I changed the rear bearings a few months ago, which is a relatively cheap job. The disks had plenty of life in them, so I opted to just get fresh bearings pressed in. I used the following item:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120690676835?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

After a few months, one started humming again. I thought this was down to just not being the correct torque. I put off changing it for a while, and strangely it stopped making a noise. I wasn’t too worried, but was conscious it needed changing. I was warned by f0xy that if the bearing completely fails, then the wheel can essentially fall off, although the wheel could be held in place loosely by the disk and calliper.

I eventually decided it was time to get it sorted, and changed the rear disks this weekend, genuine Renualt parts, with bearings included. The reason for this thread is that I noticed just how bad the bearing was, once I jacked the car up.

According to Ryan at NWP – the hub nut supplied with the original kit isn’t correct for the car. It’s just a general nut that is shipped out with every kit as it fits various vehicles. The nut doesn’t cover the whole bearing, so you need to either re-use the original nut, or get a genuine one from Renault. Which I’m told is roughly £1-2.

So if your bearing was making a noise, but has stopped, jack up the car and check for play.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Lionel Richie
seen it happen loads of times when the spacer hasn't been refitted or the hub nut wasn't torqued, the hub nut i agree with, they're s**t

Astra H vxr
:/ oh mines just started to make a humming noise persume its the wheel bearing back left, think i may be needing to get it replaced very soon

Sunflower Ph1 172
Yeah it's a bit of a worry. A lot of people out there that neglect basic maintenance, this is one of the things most people wouldn't think of.

275 Trophy
seen it happen loads of times when the spacer hasn't been refitted or the hub nut wasn't torqued, the hub nut i agree with, they're s**t

Had new discs and bearings fitted for my MOT recently. Garage said that the 'bearing nut covers missing - needs odering'. Would you say this is the spacer, or does that go behind the bearing? They described it more like a dust cover to stop crap getting into the bearing. They wanted £7.16 each plus vat so I didn't get them.