ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

why spend so much money...

Getting a 172 turbo'd?

Cost between 6-8k for 260 bhp? sounds awesome can't deny it but surely with the average cost of even a 2nd hand 172 coming in at 5-6k that costs around 13k without the suspension or the brakes that will be needed.

Is it purely for the enthusiast or did BB and K-Tec honestly think a lot of people would spend this kind of money.

You can get a lot of CAR for 13k which will have more bang per buck than what that will.

Just a question out of curiosity...

Chocolate Bar™
why not?

money isnt everything. not much point at all in modifying your car, as it only devalues the car and makes it harder to sell. but if you like your car, and want something different thats still mentally fast than why not

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
HellFire said:
Getting a 172 turbo'd?

You can get a lot of CAR for 13k which will have more bang per buck than what that will.

Name one car with 260BHP for £13k and i'll eat my hat and show my arse out the window.
John

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I guess people spend lots of money on engine mods like turbos for clios because they l want something with the performance of a scobby in a clio shell.

Dubai182 said:
Name one car with 260BHP for £13k and i'll eat my hat and show my arse out the window.
John

Maybe not 13k for a new car, but there are several used cars about for 13k with more power, and lots more everything else too

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
3k Seirra Cosworth and 2k on mods = Easy 330bhp

5k 200sx with 2k mods = easy 280bhp

Nice to be different and respect anyone who choose's to do this but imo turbo's ruin the Clio, id go TBs.

Megane 225 Cup
Yeah but how do you think they got like that... by the person who owned them modding them.. if you love the car u will upgrade it.. its always nice to be the best in your class of car.

Ad

MK2 FRS
more to the point you could buy summit VAG S3 or LCR and chip it for a lot less than 13k, and it would be able to cope with the power.

However, fair do's to anyone who loved there clio enough to do it.

Dubai182 said:
John

pretty sure u could get a decent modified evo6 with more than 260bhp forthat kind of money

starting eating m8:quiet: :butt:

Golf GTI 1.8T
HellFire said:
Getting a 172 turbo'd?

Cost between 6-8k for 260 bhp? sounds awesome can't deny it but surely with the average cost of even a 2nd hand 172 coming in at 5-6k that costs around 13k without the suspension or the brakes that will be needed.

Is it purely for the enthusiast or did BB and K-Tec honestly think a lot of people would spend this kind of money.

One major question for you!!

Where are you getting this figure of 260bhp from??

I think you should come down to the BB Rolling Road day and see what BB's turbo can actually put out mate!!

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=119083

Clio 172 mk2
HellFire said:
Getting a 172 turbo'd?

I think for K-tec and BB these project cars are a good demonstration of their engineering/tuning abilities.

For the average driver like me though it's far too much to spend on a 172.....rather buy an evo 6 with 280bhp and pocket the change.

1998 BMW e46 323i
Upgrading will always be a subjective and personal matter, I think people's approach to this mod is due to the price of 6 or 7k, which is about the same as the car costs...

Why not buy an E34 M5 for about 5k? Manufactured from 1989 to 1992, they produced 315bhp in standard 3535cc form. Cars built 1992 – 1995 (3795cc) produced varying power outputs from between 320 and 340bhp.

You could buy about 3 M5s for the same price, oh and they're built by the other European country that knows how to bolt cars together and handle that kind of power.

I drive a mk2 172 myself. Having owned two Bimmers I fancied something different and a little more focused.

Can a sport chassis handle the power? ...Can the block, drive shafts and 'box?

I don't think there is anything wrong it.

If you really like your car but you want it to be faster why not spend some money in upgrading it. You might not want to get another car even if it is faster stock.

Before my V6 I thought seriously about spending lots of money tuning my Astra sri but I thought no because, even though I liked the car I didn't love it.

I plan on keeping my V6 for a few years yet, and I'm more keen on getting serious tuning upgrades (throttle bodies :)), rather than buying a faster car.

Each to their own I say.

Clio 172 mk2
glasgow182 said:
yeah whats the point in having mods at all then

Good point and each to their own I say

Personally I'm keeping the upgrades on the 172 discreet as that's the way I've always liked my cars.

If I feel the need for a big power hike then it'll be time to change cars

Clio 172mk2
end of the day ppl who do this , are doing it usually for a few reason , they want there car to be different from n e one elses, or they want to get it in a mag.

also the fact that u can piss ppl off in much more expensive cars , n them not to know whats under your bonnet

Lux'd Glacier White R26
I say good on them if they've got the b****cks to spend £6-7k on upgrades. If you're serious in this game, then these are the costings invloved to stay ahead of everyone else. Fair play to that man!

Also aren't there only a hand full of mk2 clio's that have turbo's?

Tyson.

biojo said:
also the fact that u can piss ppl off in much more expensive cars , n them not to know whats under your bonnet

I reckon thats gotta be one of the main reasons why people do it. The excitement of leaving some kn*b in his beemer standing while he wonders whether or not his motor has just popped itself into limp-home mode!!!!!! PRICELESS.

Wish i had the money for all that jazz!

Shorty

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I have spent a fortune tunning and modding an old car (easily double what I paid for the car) but it delivers 230 bhp, 200 lbs torque, weighs in at 900 kg, RWD rare as fook, Do I think its worth it???

Hell yeah my 0-62 and 0-100 mph figures are in Ferrari territory.

If you have a turboed 172 and a matey in say a CTR pulls up next to you he is expecting to beat you and then not only do you beat him you absolutely cain his ass! Priceless!
I am a real fan of performance enhanching mods and like the sleeper appeal of a car. I ask people to guess what my car is most just say "fast!"

Clio 172 mk2
Shorty_mk1 said:
I reckon thats gotta be one of the main reasons why people do it. The excitement of leaving some kn*b in his beemer standing while he wonders whether or not his motor has just popped itself into limp-home mode!!!!!! PRICELESS.

Wish i had the money for all that jazz!

Shorty

That's all very well but at the end of the day b**locks to it....if I can afford the M3 I'm buying it because it's got a great, smooth engine.

I always hear people banging on about how their cars are Porsche and Ferrari beaters but at the end of the day that doesn't matter..they are not Porsches or Ferraris no matter how fast they go.

Nissan 350Z
White16valver said:
Each to their own then! :)

Indeed. Speaking personally, I wouldnt bother - if I wanted that much power, I'd buy a car designed for it in the first place.

Actually for me, part of the Clio's appeal was the fact that, for what it is, out of the box, it is excellent, and doesnt really need modifying. Of course, some may wish to do that, fair enough I say, but I am not one of them. The other part of the appeal, ironically, is that the Clio can make good power even without a turbo, which arguably dilutes some of its appeal to me (turbos introduce lag, often reduce throttle response, and can harm handling, all IMHO).

glasgow182 said:
yeah whats the point in having mods at all then
Your missing my point, you may want your car to be faster but you don't want to get rid of your car.

For me anyway, I happy with my car as it is, but I wouldn't rule out modding it in the future. :)

Clio 172 mk2
pbirkett said:
Indeed. Speaking personally, I wouldnt bother - if I wanted that much power, I'd buy a car designed for it in the first place.

Actually for me, part of the Clio's appeal was the fact that, for what it is, out of the box, it is excellent, and doesnt really need modifying. Of course, some may wish to do that, fair enough I say, but I am not one of them. The other part of the appeal, ironically, is that the Clio can make good power even without a turbo, which arguably dilutes some of its appeal to me (turbos introduce lag, often reduce throttle response, and can harm handling, all IMHO).

Very true...turbo cars are fun but are not always that easy to drive...a lot of them, especially older cars are very on/off in nature and tricky to keep 'on song'.

Really enjoy the naturally aspirated almost linear power from the 172