ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why so many low mile 172Cup’s for sale

S2000 turbo

Hi all,

Currently selling my scoob to get a 172 / Cup / ITR....

Just been on the autotrader and noticed there are a lot of quite low mile 172s and cups for sale. Is there much to worry about with this?

I like the car, but heard so many stories where 1 car will be fine, and another just has no end of problems. Just hoping the amount of low milers for sale is not indicative of this? They are very popular on Scoobynet, but a real mixed review in terms of reliability. And theres no smoke without fire before anyone discounts this as crap.

Help re-assure me :)

MB

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

hahaha lmao at andrewm! if only u knew mark!

how du light a fire? park a 172 on ure drive and leave it stone cold for 2days.

shocking but true

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

same as any other car i reckon, get your good ones and your bad, mines bin good so far; 172 [2002 mk2] just done 14k and no probs, only thing ive had to replace is the rear wiper....

Elise/VX220/R26

Right well for a start off theres been 3 known 172 fires so not really an epidemic to worry about lol.

I think the main reason is the 182 ( essentially a cup with all the toys which has to be an appealing idea!) when a new model comes out people always want it, they get offered next to nothing at the dealers so you see them on the forums and in the trader etc.

As for all the problems yes you will have some, renaults build quality is something along the lines of the first two houses the wolf came accross. But dont let it put you off, Ive had numerous problems with my 172 but overall its just such a great car that you can forgive the niggles which is all most of the problems are really. I think the number of people who have had serious problems are quite few and probably the same as youd get with any other car.

Clio v6

My thoughts on this subject.

Has everyone selling read a few forum posts about these fires?

A new model has been launched,and many people simply want the latest.

Low mileage? Stop polishing the damn things and drive it.

The weather is warmer, and air con is suddenly being missed?

I have also noticed a lot of ex Scooby owners moving over to the Clio?

My sis has a Cup, it had 3k on it when she bought it and she has had no problems with it :)

I dont know why people sell them so soon, my 172 only had 7k when I bought it and its up to 24k now, just had a few minnor problems and I still have the grin!!!:D

I got rid of my scoob earlier this year and recently bought a clio cup, yes there are a few creaks and rattles but having owned french cars in the past this is not particularly unusual. Its a great drivers car and if youre into fun driving then it doesnt come much better IMO.

I have owned VWs with more annoying rattles than the cup has acquired so far...

Get one they are superb - I miss mine. :(

I had a few niggly / and some more major faults but nothing a day at Renault couldnt fix - and its all under warranty anyway so whats the problem??

Cars always have issues.

I suppose strictly speaking you get what you pay for and there isnt really such a thing as cheap performance (you end up paying for it in the long run). My clutch went very prematurely (part quality issue and part abuse - im sure however a scooby clutch would have stood up better to race style starts from every junction....but then it costs twice as much) and it eats tyres due to no traction control. I am very hard on cars though, and im sure normal abuse would see everything last twice as long as it did on mine!!

Lots of Cups for sale at the minute, but even more Mk2 172s. As for problems, the Cup and the 172 are built at the same place so they share the same common problems . If it was my choice I would gor a Mk2 ITR. The Mk1 ITRs are great cars but look really dated now.

S2000 turbo

Ta for the input all. Didnt knowabout fires!!!

Someones coming to look at mine tonight, so might be after one pretty soon! One thing that is bothering me a bit is resale value. ITRs hold theirs very well, and seem easy to sell. Less of them and quite in demand.

I chop and change quite a bit so have to bear this in mind.

I saw a cup go by the other day, and its a real head turner in the light blue...

More so than the ITR.

Decisions....

MB