ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why does my air con smell of eggs?!

ClioSport 172
After a heavy weekend I dropped my mate off at her house & on the way stuck the air con on... it smelt a bit of eggs, but in all honesty, thought she'd just dropped one & didnt make a deal out of it!

Yet another mate commented on the egg smell yesterday aswell! Its mainly when I just turn it on, but it might be coming through all the time, just not as harshly as when its just turned on!

Its not disgusting, but its not the greatest feature. Anyone got a clue why it smells? Dont really wanna get the CC serviced if I dont have to!

Cheers x

Clio Dynamic S 2.0VVT
After a while they get full of bacteria that cause the smell.

You can get an aerosol that you can set off in the car with the air con on, the fan set to recirculate the air and the windows shut. The aerosol works continuously for about 5 mins so the vapour is circulated through the system and kills the bugs.

I have used it in the past and it does work

Like Rich says you can get them from Halfords

BMW M135i
It'll be mould growing on the AC evapourator in the heater if helps if you don't just stop the car with the AC running as the moisture sits there and encourages it to grow. If you turn the AC off a few mins before you stop the car and let the fan still run it'll evapourate the water and stop it smelling in the future.

But run a halfrauds conditioner doofer through it first.

Evo 6, E92 320d
Mine does it a bit as well when i 1st go to use it, but goes after 5 mins, I geuss its because i never use it really.

FTO GPX 2.0 V6
Mine does it, but bought one of those canisters from Halfords and it has cleared up the smell. My Dad has always said to prevent it from smelling make sure you use it once a month and it will make sure that the bacteria etc can't build up. I want to get mine re-gassed anyway.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
My Lupo did it when I picked it up, but after keeping it running on the highest speed setting for a good 15 minutes it cleared up and went.

I use it every 2-3 days as well even if not needed just to make sure it keeps working properly.

ClioSport 172
I might give that cleaner a go then it its only £10... you sure it wont ruin my suede interior?!

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
It's only a man made suade, Alcantara, its a lot more durable that the real thing! ;-)
I think its a common thing, particularly as in the UK we hardly ever have a reason to use the air con!...
Now and then when i turn it on it smells a bit funky, but i make a point of putting it on once a week just to blow out the cobwebs, and dont seem to have any dodgy aromas these days!...

106 GTi
Still will get damaged if you get it too wet!

I left my snap on seat covers on the front and covered the back seats just incase when I did it in mine.