ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whoops!

Not a 320d
All going OK.....

DSC02425.jpg

But then..........

DSC02429.jpg

fuuu-1.jpg

Not mega fussed TBH, other stuff is getting sprayed, so thatll be getting done too. That colour match was so bad im not sure if it looks worse than before. Just hope the spray job isnt too bad.

Wet sanding - one of the most irritating, tedious, soul destroying tasks I think I've ever had to do in my life. I hate it.

Clio 172 Phase 1
Wet sanding - one of the most irritating, tedious, soul destroying tasks I think I've ever had to do in my life. I hate it.

2nd that.

Tried it on my old pug 306's rear bumper, left a big faded patch pissed me right off to say the least!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I'm quite shocked mate. I thought you were pretty clued up.

Just goes to shoe pdg's are a waste of money... Or not.

How did you manage to take that much clearcoat off? 1000 grit?

I love wet sanding. It's very rewarding to be honest. If you have the time and knowledge to do it correctly of course.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
that's quite an impressive patch to cut through, unlucky fella.

bit of T-cut will sort that no problem!!! you'll never notice

Not a 320d
2000 mate with little effort. I was sanding down the chip repairs.

Ive done this a fair few times on different cars, M5's, X5's, E92's..... so I know the drill and the process. Decided to remove the orange peel while i was at it, really careful with it.

Soon as I try it on my car...Then Bam. It does look extreemly good where ive been though.

Ive never fucked up anything on anyone elses car before, but once you bring my car into it, ive fucked up machine polishing, now wet sanding. What next. I blame the car partly for having such appauling paintwork - it is truly b****cks. Im not investing in a PTG though.

Bit of a bummer mate, bonnet spray + wings and bumper blending in, to put right if your looking for perfection. There very very rarely such thing as a spot on colour match, renault are sh*tters, the cars are never the colour they were supposed to be. Im doing a full frontal and rear bumper re-spray on my clio at the moment, 6 shades for monaco blue.......bought all 6, none of them are great so blending everything, cars got original paint work aswell.

I think wet sanding unless its just been sprayed (and you did it or know theres a good depth), have a PDG (and have tested the area in many places all over) or you know the full history of the car and the panel in question, then its very high risk. So many unknowns, has it been done before?, the number of coats of clear, the quality of the clear coat used (build depth) and how evenly has it been applied.

Not a 320d
Bit of a bummer mate, bonnet spray + wings and bumper blending in, to put right if your looking for perfection. There very very rarely such thing as a spot on colour match, renault are sh*tters, the cars are never the colour they were supposed to be. Im doing a full frontal and rear bumper re-spray on my clio at the moment, 6 shades for monaco blue.......bought all 6, none of them are great so blending everything, cars got original paint work aswell.

I think wet sanding unless its just been sprayed (and you did it or know theres a good depth), have a PDG (and have tested the area in many places all over) or you know the full history of the car and the panel in question, then its very high risk. So many unknowns, has it been done before?, the number of coats of clear, the quality of the clear coat used (build depth) and how evenly has it been applied.

No never, its been machine polished twice by me. And ive owned it since new. The front bumper looks a totally different colour all together. Ill see what the price differences are and if its not too bad ill have the full bonnet resprayed. The whole cars a mess at the moment its really getting me down. By far the worst car ive owned or worked on for paintwork, its an absolute disgrace.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Cost of a front end respray vs A 2nd hand PDG. Not really comparible is it?

Put it on DW yet for a roasting?

Not a 320d
No dont think Ill bother. Like I said Im not majorly fussed about it. Im not really happy with the car at the moment, the sooner its gone the better.

Not a 320d
So ive got her booked in for a respray. The colour match from the touch up pen is a disgrace. I decided id wet sand the kick mark. Barely even started it and ive broken through the laquer there too. f**k knows what the rest of the car is like, but it doesnt inspire me to touch the car with amachine polisher again. It must have been majorly thin.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah one of those Paint depth guages would have told you that...

Not a 320d
Doesnt matter mate its getting resprayed. Thought id see.

Im not investing in one i cant afford it. besides it doesnt tell me how much clearcoat ive got. Unless I spend big bucks on one.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Indeed. I wouldn't buy one either, I have 3 to choose from though when I need it.

I wouldn't do any heavy correction without one.

Doesnt matter mate its getting resprayed. Thought id see.

Im not investing in one i cant afford it. besides it doesnt tell me how much clearcoat ive got. Unless I spend big bucks on one.

You can't afford a PDG yet you can afford a spray job?

Not a 320d
Im sure a Depth guage would have prevented the person kicking my car and the pther person that keyed it....................

Titanium 182
Not a lot of lube used by the looks of the first shot? Also I'd be scared using anything like a brick so close to the paint, I'd stick to something flat and rubber to avoid any damage if it went through the sandpaper?

A slow blue one.
Also I'd be scared using anything like a brick so close to the paint

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought it looked a little like a cork block or something similar? Enough give to allow the paper to spread evenly over the paintwork but soft enough for minimal damage to the bodywork in the event you do go through the sanding paper.

I could be wrong too mind, I'd just be surprised anyone being daft enough to use a brick as a sanding block on their paint work.

Last edited:
  Titanium 182
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought it looked a little like a cork block or something similar? Enough give to allow the paper to spread evenly over the paintwork but soft enough for minimal damage to the bodywork in the event you do go through the sanding paper.

I could be wrong too mind, I'd just be surprised anyone being daft enough to use a brick as a sanding block on their paint work.

Lol I stand corrected, the contrast on my tv is too dark! :eek: