ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Who runs decat? What and why?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Im thinking about getting a decat but want to know what actual advantage will i have over the standard cat?
Also what decat pipes do you have?
Ive got a custom made AAS exaust on my 182
Apreciate any advice from you lot allready running this way

Advantages - increase in power, increase in MPG, increase in exhaust noise

Disadvantages - will not pass an MOT (inc other implications for a road vehicles road worthiness), increase in exhaust noise!

Megane 225 F1
Increase in MPG? I'm deffinatly going for decat when I'm on a modified insurance company like sky.

Another one for the advantage and disadvantage pile is the car will smell of fuel when idling, so it depends whether you like the smell or not. My decatted 172 stunk of V-Power when I was sitting at traffic lights, I loved it.:evil:

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Advantages - increase in power, increase in MPG, increase in exhaust noise

Disadvantages - will not pass an MOT (inc other implications for a road vehicles road worthiness), increase in exhaust noise!

Chrs Tom, how does it give you more mpg out of intrest?
How loud will it vedo you think, my system now isnt loud probs slightly louder than standard so would this help keep noise down i i go for decat aswell
And, what pipe would you sugest?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Another one for the advantage and disadvantage pile is the car will smell of fuel when idling, so it depends whether you like the smell or not. My decatted 172 stunk of V-Power when I was sitting at traffic lights, I loved it.:evil:

Haha was just about to say, i love the smell of vpower aswell, sounds good lol

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I got a jump of appx 5mpg from my decat, with a lovely 3k rasp.

Worthy mod for the price IMO.

And EASY job on a 182 compared to my 172, lol

Ahhhh so you're actually meant to be able to smell fuel from underneath the car???

Since my decat was fitted, I thought that the garage had fitted it wrong because everytime i got out of the car I could smell petrol... I was going to take it back tomorrow to get them to sort it out lol!

DMS

A thirsty 172
I have the K-Tec 172 decat. I had it fitted because the standard cat would probably have melted while mapping the car. Shouldn't happen on a standard car though.

It actually made the car slightly quieter when idling, but it's silly loud when driving along. :cool:

260% JCW
The decat does make it louder but you cant expect to mess around with the exhaust system and maintain the standard factory noise.

It does seem to free things up a bit though, noticeable difference top end id say. As for MOT time depends who you know. Ive had no probs.

Id say one of the cheapest and best mods

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
The decat does make it louder but you cant expect to mess around with the exhaust system and maintain the standard factory noise.

It does seem to free things up a bit though, noticeable difference top end id say. As for MOT time depends who you know. Ive had no probs.

Yea me mates a tester so that will be fine,
Obv all decats are the same size yea? How much am i lookin to pay and were from?
Are any makes better made than others, reli just dont know which to get

Id say one of the cheapest and best mods

RS RIP
i optimized the inlet(s) which are now big and non restrictive , threw in some awesome Italian cams, and the decat (+ofcourse rest of exhaust) must be done to compliment the other work done.

Maximise air/fuel in and maximise out-flow.. logical thought me thinks. So all restrictions lost for performance, not caring about MPG

(ofcourse a good map as finishing touch , FASTCHIP's done mine reaalllly nice)

106GTI / NovaC20LET
i got a yozza decat had it on for about 8 months now only real diffence from standard id say was improved throttle response and maybe a tad more pull in top end

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Cool and is ur engine management light on?
I dont plan on getting a remap, i dont have to just if i fit a decat do i?

RS RIP
remap for starters not really neccescary, just further down the road when doing air-intake it is best to get max out of setup.

Hold on, you have a 182. I have read that plenty of 182 drivers did NOT benefit from the decat because of a much better OEM exhaust setup from factory. Supposably loosing torque / or top end i can't temember :dapprove:

yep my dash i lit up like a X-mas tree (airbag , management) which i do'nt care about. The MOT guy has'nt till now either ($$)

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
remap for starters not really neccescary, just further down the road when doing air-intake it is best to get max out of setup.

Hold on, you have a 182. I have read that plenty of 182 drivers did NOT benefit from the decat because of a much better OEM exhaust setup from factory. Supposably loosing torque / or top end i can't temember :dapprove:

yep my dash i lit up like a X-mas tree (airbag , management) which i do'nt care about. The MOT guy has'nt till now either ($$)

I allready have a decat back stainless system as my standard one had holes in it lol, so just the cat i want rid of now
Another reason for this is my cars so low the cat scrapes on all speedbumps so decat may help with the situation

Megane RS 250
I went from a dekat to a sports kat (bought here for a very reasonably price), I didn't feel any difference in performance, and sound is pretty much the same too (superstealth k-tec...and it should be the quietest around, I guess it's a joke!)
I hoped to make it quieter but didn't. The smell is gone though.
I had a lambda minikat on and no warning light, I removed when i fitted the metallic kat and it's still off.
The lambda emulator is for sale too!

BMW E30 325iiiiii
i stuck a decat on mine along with a custom exhaust system and got a 6mpg increase, and an increase in fun factor :)

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
I went from a dekat to a sports kat (bought here for a very reasonably price), I didn't feel any difference in performance, and sound is pretty much the same too (superstealth k-tec...and it should be the quietest around, I guess it's a joke!)
I hoped to make it quieter but didn't. The smell is gone though.
I had a lambda minikat on and no warning light, I removed when i fitted the metallic kat and it's still off.
The lambda emulator is for sale too!

Whats a lamda miniat?

Megane RS 250
It's a little cat that goes between lambda sensor and exhaust, it catalyzes a small portion of the gas in contact with the sensor so it seems the cat is still on. It works on euro3/4 cars, not sure about 5.

p029_1_00.png

Mk5 golf gti
i got a decrease in MPG :S im back on a cat now

hated my decat last winter lol

i would run one in future but only so i can have the pop bang remap ;)

None
I have a yozzasport decat pipe for my 182 but i don't think i could bring myself to put it on, it's just way too loud for everyday use i'm afraid, the positives don't seem to outway the negatives for me.

106GTI / NovaC20LET
yeah my engine light came on a few days after i put it on i think its just one of those luck of the draw things some peoples come on some dont.
You dont have to get a remap to fit a decat :)

Looking for 182
Are decat pipes compatible with most exhausts? For example, could a Scorpion decat go on a Miltek exhaust, and vice versa?