ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whiteline ARB or Coilovers?

PH1 172
Hi

Sorry if this has been covered already but my search is not bringing up what I would like to know.... :eek:

I am currently running eibach sportlines and I find on track the car still rolls and shifts about too much for my liking......
Do I go for an ARB and stiffen it up a little OR do I go for coilovers (K-TEC OR V-MAXX) and really stiffen it all up and plant it on rails? I don't really drive the car much only at the weekend and trackdays (3 max a year).....feedback appreciated please :)

Thanks

Terry

CLIO PH1 172
Hmm I would say coilovers tbh I went from standard to coliovers and the difference was night and day I have since added a custom arb and it's helped it even more, you will notice most difference by going straight to coilys, then I would recommend the arb.

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
the coilovers you have suggested are cheap and basic, i would go for the ARB if you dont mind the long wait to get one!

PH1 172
Ok I managed to get my search to work a little better for me and there is no real 100% answer on what to go for and is mixed like it is in here...........only thing that does stand out is if you want coilovers for track use as well then go for £500+ setups.....

Think I might go for the ARB with my current Sportlines and see how that feels for how I use the car.....I can always add Coilovers afterwards and still keep the ARB fitted :)

Lotus Elise
Go for the ARB, its a cheap mod and if you don't get on with it you can easily sell it. If the car still isn't handling as want it to save and get some decent coilovers.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
I'm afraid the above statement is untrue,ARB then save for some decent suspension if and when you need it.

Tony knows his onions, the ARB would presumably compliment the soft damping of std dampers with the eibachs. Aren't the majority of the cheaper front only coilover setups also supposed to be quite softly damped?>

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Anything under £700 on coilovers will be crap. I know, I have v maxx at the min and they are shocking. Too soft and very bouncy when even going over a mild bumpy road.

Get the arb, then either springs and shocks or £700 + coilovers

They are your only options

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I've done this a few ways.

My first ph1 I fitted a whiteline ARB, the difference was awesome, it gives much more confidence and really ties the front and rear end of the car together, I then added coilovers and the package was complete. The car handled well, but the difference from adding the coilovers wasn't as much as the ARB.

I also at one stage had it completely standard, I added coilovers (without ARB) and there wasn't much difference, it stuck to the road better but there was still the underlying issue of the clio's flighty back end.

Give the ARB a go, I've only known of one person who didn't like the ARB, that's out of many people now who have had them.

Back when I had mine not many people had them, I think brown bear and a couple of others had used them in the past, I got one and told plent of people about them and now it seems they're in high demand.

It was also developped with a helping hand from Fred. Give the whiteline a go, It's been track proven and tested, the 'custom' rear ARB that's in the GB section hasn't been tested anywhere, just fabricated with a rough copy of a whiteline. Once they've been tested back to back and proven to be an equal or better successor to whiteline, I won't be investing my money.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Chris, care to elaborate on the flighty back end that you experienced with the coilovers (presumably AST/Bilstein Cup series dampers as you never mentioned them being front coil units only?). I did read that right that it was your opinion that you thought the back end was more planted once you fitted the whiteline? :)

PH1 172
Thanks to all for your feedback, much appreciated :).

I have listened and taken it all on board.....I have bought the cheap coilovers aiming for the track......JOKING :rasp:

A brand new Whiteline ARB has been purchased which will be with me on Monday :cool:. Will fit it asap, enjoy the difference and at the same time save for a decent set of coilovers as people have said ;)

Thanks again to all, great help:star:

Seat Ibiza
So Sam and Tony, what would you class as 'decent' suspension setup for the track?
Would I have to be looking at Spax or Bilstien or even the ones that are advertised on here, the 519 set up?

Lotus Elise
Bilstien is fantastic, so is KW so Id advise you to concentrate your efforts on those two. H&R's are good too.

Seat Ibiza
Bilstien is fantastic, so is KW so Id advise you to concentrate your efforts on those two. H&R's are good too.

I see you have a Trophy, whats the standard Sachs suspension like, as I saw someone was selling for £700, but for that you could nearly get KW Variant 1 couldn't you?

Lotus Elise
I adore my Sashs dampers now they are unpinned. A great compromise between road and track when fitted with our unique springs and whiteline ARB. The car isn't mega low which puts people off but it doesn't bother me. I just like overtaking them on track :p

KW would be better on track but mine is more comfortable on the road, so swings and roundabout.

Seat Ibiza
I adore my Sashs dampers now they are unpinned. A great compromise between road and track when fitted with our unique springs and whiteline ARB. The car isn't mega low which puts people off but it doesn't bother me. I just like overtaking them on track :p

Are the springs your using unique to you guys at BTM then?

Mega low doesn't really bother me, its all about the corners :)

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I ran my trophy with the factory pins in, eibach sportlines and whiteline adjustable ARB.

To say the set-up was perfect for the road is an under statement, I love the way you can feel the suspension adjust underneath you when changing from left to right handers. Great bit of kit.

p@blo, I just ran coilover front units and the standard style rear suspension, all be it uprated springs and shocks, I've never experienced a full rear coilover set up I.e AST, LEDA etc although I wouldn't mind giving those spax Item's a go that danny@519 has on offer

182cup & 172 racecar
So Sam and Tony, what would you class as 'decent' suspension setup for the track?
Would I have to be looking at Spax or Bilstien or even the ones that are advertised on here, the 519 set up?

We run AST's so how could say anything else?

Everybody is different and it's very difficult to say this or that,but l will say,"cheap is not good",thats why there is such a price hike to the top three or four names.

PH1 172
Hoping to head home soon and find my Whiteline ARB with the neighbour or a missed parcel note which means I will just go and pick it up from the depot tonight :).

Quicky question......I have found the guide to fitting it but it doesn't say what the Torque setting is for the shock absorber bolt, anybody know how tight I should be doing this?

Also what will the car fill like between the different settings so I know what one to start off with :eek:

Cheers

Tel

Lotus Elise
shock bolt torque is FT (f*ing tight) start on the soft setting (outer hole) and see what you think than stiffen if desired.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I ran my trophy with the factory pins in, eibach sportlines and whiteline adjustable ARB.

To say the set-up was perfect for the road is an under statement, I love the way you can feel the suspension adjust underneath you when changing from left to right handers. Great bit of kit.

This.

Even on track im more than happy with my setup tbh, the only reason id change it now is to go lower, for cosmetic reasons, which is a stupid way to spend £1500.

If i was chasing lap times, my answer might be different, but im not.

PH1 172
shock bolt torque is FT (f*ing tight) start on the soft setting (outer hole) and see what you think than stiffen if desired.

Okey doke cheers for that torque setting lol. After you have fitted the ARB how easy is it to adjust the setting? Is it a case of loosening eveything off and moving it to the next hole or do you just undo the 1 bolt that is in the "setting" hole and then move it?

Thanks for the help :)

ITB'd MK1

I've worked to get the spax setup available specifically because the other options offered nothing in the way of adjustment, so are poor value for money. There cannot be a one size fits all solution when cars are being stripped out and have big weight variations. the billy stuff is fine but once you strip the rear you can't go anywhere near low enough without buying different springs, KW is similar, and neither offer damping adjustment in the ~£800 price bracket

PH1 172
Woohoo thanks to my neighbour taking it in for me so I don't have to go get it, I now have my ARB sitting on my kitchen table :)

Seat Ibiza
I've worked to get the spax setup available specifically because the other options offered nothing in the way of adjustment, so are poor value for money. There cannot be a one size fits all solution when cars are being stripped out and have big weight variations. the billy stuff is fine but once you strip the rear you can't go anywhere near low enough without buying different springs, KW is similar, and neither offer damping adjustment in the ~£800 price bracket

Yeah I've looked at it mate and it seems quite good! I haven't really done much research compared to any others as I'm not in the Market just yet!
What's the advantage of the coil over shocker setup? Does it have more settings?

Good thread, I had sportlines and an ARB on my ph1 and it was phenomenal. I will be after another ARB for the Trophy at some point.

225 meg, clio 172 ex
terry172................

any ratings on the arb? how do you find it?

good value? how does it effect handling?

aidan

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
It will be the best thing you ever buy for your clio....apart from a smaller steering wheel ofcourse lol