ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whining from gearbox

There seems to be a few posts on here about whining gearboxes, but all in high gears. My car makes the reversing whining noise most cars make in first and second gears. Anybody got an idea of what could be wrong? Do I need to top up / changed the gear box oil or something more serious? Cheers.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Does it stop the noise as soon as your out of 2nd and into 3rd? Or does it do it in all gears?
Have you checked the oil level on it at all?
How long since the oil was las changed?

Does it do it if you take it out of gear whilst the cars moving?

I'm going to say it's gearbox bearing related, but it could be diff bearings or input shaft/main shaft related.

If you can answer as many of the above questions as possible, it will help to make a better diagnosis.

Does it stop the noise as soon as your out of 2nd and into 3rd? Or does it do it in all gears?
Have you checked the oil level on it at all?
How long since the oil was las changed?

Does it do it if you take it out of gear whilst the cars moving?

I'm going to say it's gearbox bearing related, but it could be diff bearings or input shaft/main shaft related.

If you can answer as many of the above questions as possible, it will help to make a better diagnosis.

Hi mate! Thanks for the reply.

The noise pretty much stops in third, definitely not as noticeable anyway.
I haven't checked the oil level but ordered the correct elf NFJ 75w80 gearbox oil today. So when that arrives I'll drain and fill up with that.
Don't know when the oil was last changed, only had the car about 5 months, it's done it since I got it.

When you put the clutch down or take it out of gear the whining stops..

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated!