ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which type of petrol

Ive done just over 1k miles in my 182 now and have made the switch to super 98 RON petrol now...

However, I filled up at Sainsburys petrol station the other day and their super unleaded is actually only 97 RON (rather than the recommended 98 stuff). I only noticed when I had put the nozzle in the tank and the petrol was flowing (so I couldnt be bothered to stop).

Anyway, my question is where do you guys get your 98 RON petrol from?

[Edited by hardsoulwax on 25 May 2004 at 10:28am]

Does Optimax really make that much difference over regular 95 in the Clio?

My 182 seems to run fine on the normal stuff...

If your car was meant to run on higher octane fuels then its probably better to use higher octane fuels to reduce the risk of retarding, my 16v was only meant to use 95 so thats all it gets :D

I find either 97 (sainsburys) or 98 (bp ultimate) makes a noticeable difference to my 172, its quieter and more responsive.

Ziel Nurburgring

Quote: Originally posted by cliosportcraig on 25 May 2004

If your car was meant to run on higher octane fuels then its probably better to use higher octane fuels to reduce the risk of retarding, my 16v was only meant to use 95 so thats all it gets :D
Im retarded, and you only use high octane. Does that help?

we need a sticky FAQ section. stuff like this crops up everyweek.

use the cheapest stuff available, it makes not a jot of difference.

VaVa

seconded ^^^ I use Optimax most of the time, but I occasionally pop into Morrisons for fuel. If there is any difference, Ill be buggered if I can tell...........

The 182 and 172 do need premium fuel the ECU is desinged to advance the spark timing to take advanatage of it. By running none premium the engine start to knock so the power is retarded you wont notice it but there is an advantage if I get a 172/182 the aditional stuckk they stick in is better for the engien as well.

Runnng none premiun will only affect power slightly so runign on 95 etc wont have any long term problems.