ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which tablet?

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
I have acquired some TV shows on a USB pen and want to watch them when flying/on trains/coaches etc.

Don't really need apps/a great browser or anything, all I want it for is to watch TV shows on.

Which one(s) would you recommend? I've owned an iPad mini before so not keen on another one.

Cheers!

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Looks good but it's out of stock in the nearest 6 Argos stores, lol :(

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
When I got mine the newer model was £200 so I didn't think it was worth spending double as i only use it for wasting time at work and travelling.
Isn't it available for delivery?

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Nope! My own fault for leaving it so late, I need it before Friday.

275 Trophy
I'm not sure if the one linked has a (micro)SD card slot, but the hudl from Tesco has and as long as the card is formatted in FAT32, it will work with at least 64GB cards.

I have one and use it almost exclusively for doing as the OP intends. It's not the best on the market but will do what you want absolutely fine.

I would recommend MXPlayer on Android too as a video player. Seems to play everything without problem or any adverts and is free.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
I'm not sure if the one linked has a (micro)SD card slot

It doesn't, but you can buy a USB OTG cable for a few quid and use a variety of USB storage and some USB peripherals with it. It's worth spending the extra on the 2013 Nexus though, the extra cost puts it way ahead the likes of a Hudl, and arguably equal or ahead in a lot of areas of the ipad mini. When it's near half the cost of the Apple device, it's pretty hard to dismiss.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
£160 for a 2013 nexus 7 refurb'd in a1 condition, very tempted!

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Doh! Just realised the price haha. Will pop in and have a look! Cheers

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
What was it you didn't like? If I don't like it I have another iPad I can use lol.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I found it too small and no where near as slick as my current iPad 2. Saying that I hardly use the iPad lol. I just find the iPad a better allrounder but then I'm no expert mate

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Quite like it so far, screen is really really crisp and it's very responsive.

roberto.

ClioSport Club Member
  S4 Avant
Going to give this a bump as it's quite old now.

Thinking about upgrading my IPad as it has started to run pretty damn slow! It's an iPad 2 16gb, and I love it tbh but wouldn't mind an upgrade.

So what's the best alternatives? I know how good iPads are, but is the latest air 2? Worth the premium compared to some other on the market.

What do other people have? I've been looking at a hudl2 as they seem unbelievable cheap for what you get.

Any suggestions?

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Going to give this a bump as it's quite old now.

Thinking about upgrading my IPad as it has started to run pretty damn slow! It's an iPad 2 16gb, and I love it tbh but wouldn't mind an upgrade.

So what's the best alternatives? I know how good iPads are, but is the latest air 2? Worth the premium compared to some other on the market.

What do other people have? I've been looking at a hudl2 as they seem unbelievable cheap for what you get.

Any suggestions?
The iPad Air 3 comes out in a couple of months iirc. I think I'm going to go for an iPad Air 2. Wifi, 64gb.

Clio 182 - RB
I've got the Surface Pro 2, great little tablet! Much better than my previous iPad [emoji4] As above, 100% better and does more than a iPad... Also its Microsoft that makes it.

iPad Air 2 is a super high quality device. The laminated screen and thin chassis make it feel like a piece of 6mm thick glass. It is hugely superior to the previous Air in every measurable way.

It's just a shame iOS 8.4 sucks balls on it.

Listerine & Poledo
A mk.1 iPad Mini still does everything the newer ones do.

I'd rather have an MS Surface though. 1, 2 or 3, don't care, provided it's a Pro.

A mk.1 iPad Mini still does everything the newer ones do.

Not entirely accurate but I get your point. Air 2 feels like a premium device. It feels twice as exoensive as the previous Air. However, if that kind of stuff isn't important to you, then I can see why alternatives would seem better.

Surface Pro 3 is great. I've been considering buying one for business use, where my Apple products have limited value.

Clio 182 - RB
Surface pros can basically do what laptops do, you can download software (i personally only have microsoft office and itunes) on iPads you can't do that.

I bought a iPad to replace my laptop, was disappointed, bought the Surface Pro 2 and was amazed at the stuff it can do [emoji4]

Yes but they are not even close to being as sleek as an iPad. To some people that is an important factor.

The surface tablets are great, but they feel cheap and nasty in comparison, and if you only use your machine to surf the Internet and read emails, iPad can easily be viewed as superior.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
I use a HP tablet (with Windows) for work, and an iPad at home. If I could throw the HP tablet out the window into the oncoming traffic, I would, it's horrid. The iPad, however, does what I need it to do, when I need it to do it.

Mind you, I haven't updated the iOS to 8.4 yet, I might change my mind once I pull the trigger on that...

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I have the original Surface Pro which is a little chunky but it replaced my desktop computer just as much as any tablet. My mum's just weighed up all the different tablets recently as she wants one and has decided to go for the Surface 3 as the obviously advantages (kickstand/software/USB etc.) as she said was a 'no brainer'

I love iPad's, my girlfriend has a 4 so there's one in the household... great device but it's limited.

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
We bought the lad a Galaxy Tab S for Xmas, ok it was £400, but its really really good, super fast and the screen is amazing.....

roberto.

ClioSport Club Member
  S4 Avant
The surface is for people who want a computer.
Tablets are just toys

I think this could be why The surface might be a bit much for my needs.

I have my iPad atm to keep me entertained whilst travelling basically. All I do is surf the web, use apps, watch movies etc.

I looked at the hudl2 due to the fact I could add extra storage for movies easily. Also I could plug my go pro straight into it and watch footage whilst out and about.