ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which OS - Windows Only

My neighbours asked me to build a new PC for them however I am at a loss of what OS to install. They want a legit OS due to some issue they are currently having with an illegal XP.

Now being a new computer I would normally install the latest OS however with Windows 7 just around the corner I am a little relcutant to install Vista but XP OEM costs the same as Vista OEM.

Also they arent very computer literate so dont want to mess them about with installing Windows 7 RC to have to wipe the computer at a later date to put a full version on.

Im thinking install XP OEM and get them to upgrade to Windows 7 when its out. Is the Windows 7 RC upgradable? What other options do i have?

What would you do?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Windows xp is pretty easy to work aswell, where as vista is a bit more challenging imo.

Not sure about the upgrading side of things tho mate.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Vistas as easy to use as xp in my opinion - especially for basic users - that would be my choice.

Black Twingo GT
According to an email from MS about this there is an upgrade path to windows 7 from Vista but not from XP.

So you'd be best putting vista on it.

Dan

Monaro VXR
Explain to them they are basically going to waste their money spending on an OS right now.

Then stick a copy on. Pointless spending money on something that is going to be out of date in a few months. And in XP's case already kind of is out of date.

Scirocco GT 2.0
Windows 7!!

EDIT: Just read the thread properly.

Wait a few weeks until Vista comes with a free upgrade to Windows 7 then you upgrade from October 22nd or when you see fit.

182 (Conversion)
I''ve been running Windows 7 RC x64 and am very impressed. Tell them to wait off a few months and put that on. Either download them the RC and put that on (free and legal) or an old XP (making sure SP3 is on).....don't bother with Vista IMO. Make sure they understand you/they will need a fresh install when the full retail 7 comes out.

Thanks, want the least distruption for them really. However reading the Windows 7 site even the upgrade from Vista Retail is an E version which requires a full install anyway. Also says XP is not a supported upgrade path so I think Vista is the way to go.

In a strange way PC's are so cheap at the moment it seems to be cheaper to buy a dell for £329 with a monitor that comes with a free upgrade to Windows 7.

My neighbours asked me to build a new PC for them however I am at a loss of what OS to install. They want a legit OS due to some issue they are currently having with an illegal XP.

Now being a new computer I would normally install the latest OS however with Windows 7 just around the corner I am a little relcutant to install Vista but XP OEM costs the same as Vista OEM.

Also they arent very computer literate so dont want to mess them about with installing Windows 7 RC to have to wipe the computer at a later date to put a full version on.

Im thinking install XP OEM and get them to upgrade to Windows 7 when its out. Is the Windows 7 RC upgradable? What other options do i have?

What would you do?
OEM bought separately is not legit.

OEM bought separately is not legit.

Will be purchased along with the rest of the components. I was under the understanding that OEM must stay with the hardware it has been purchased with.

I have found that some sites are doing Vista OEM with free upgrade to Windows 7. Suspect that will be my route.

Will be purchased along with the rest of the components. I was under the understanding that OEM must stay with the hardware it has been purchased with.

I have found that some sites are doing Vista OEM with free upgrade to Windows 7. Suspect that will be my route.
http://blogs.msdn.com/mssmallbiz/archive/2005/09/07/461950.aspx

"4.1 We grant you a nonexclusive right to distribute an individual software license only with a fully assembled computer system. A "fully assembled computer system" means a computer system consisting of at least a central processing unit, a motherboard, a hard drive, a power supply, and a case."

So you can't just buy an OEM cd with a mouse (Since 2005).

http://blogs.msdn.com/mssmallbiz/archive/2005/09/07/461950.aspx

"4.1 We grant you a nonexclusive right to distribute an individual software license only with a fully assembled computer system. A "fully assembled computer system" means a computer system consisting of at least a central processing unit, a motherboard, a hard drive, a power supply, and a case."

So you can't just buy an OEM cd with a mouse (Since 2005).

I shall have a read. Thanks.

Does seem odd that everywhere sells them. If they want to stop it they should have a system builders certifcation that allows only them people to buy OEM software.

Yaris Hybrid
Install Vista and don't bother upgrading them when the new Windows is released.

Why would they need to update?

They will quite happily be web browsing, word processing and even gaming for years to come on Vista.

Sometimes people just dig a hole for themselves on the grounds of wanting to have the "latest".

Punto/Clio GTT
IMO id just throw on the cheapest out of Vista Home and XP Home/Pro

both pretty much identical apart from vista looking more updated and fresher.