ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which Oil, 172 / 182

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Halfords fully synthetic 5w40, meets all thats required for bmw's & mercs so has got to be better than the semi synthetic that reno use :dead: .. plus the halfords stuff is £32 for 5l - just what the 172 needs;)

Halfords fully synthetic 5w40, meets all thats required for bmw's & mercs so has got to be better than the semi synthetic that reno use :dead: .. plus the halfords stuff is £32 for 5l - just what the 172 needs;)

+1:cool:

this is what i use and so far have found nothing wrong with it.

172 FF
I put Motul 8100 X-cess in mine. Got it from Larkspeed nearby for £25. Although it's £35 on their website so they probs sold me it at wrong price :p

Clio 172mk2
yer was looking at the halfords stuff n e ways , wud you get the oil filter from there or renault?

Ex-172 owner. Now a Mini!
Last lot of oil I put in mine was Elf from Renault 5w 40. Cost £35 but normally use the Halfords fully synth stuff. Can't notice any difference between the two and quite frankly don't believe anyone who says that they can in a Clio!

If you want a Renault filter the part number is R82 00 033408
Sump plug washer part number is R82 00 641648

Both of the above cost £9.20 from Renault.

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Interesting, always thought synthetic ment it was engineered in a lab hence synthetic then mineral was pretty much raw.. so how can they sell mineral, semi syn, & fully syn if its all the same :S , either way since i'm a 6,000 mile oil changer i dont think it could breakdown enough by that time any way, i hope lol, but i did notice my engine ran alot smother above 6k rpm after the change, previous owner said it had an oil change a cuouple hundered miles ago but being as most people tell you what you want to hear i change it any way for peace of mine as i do use my 172 for what it was made for along with the rstuner limiter rise i consider fresh oil fairly important :)

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
Thinking of doing a change inbetween services (im on 6k since last service). Do you have4 to change the sump washer each time or is it just every-so-often?

koi

Audi S1
Thinking of doing a change inbetween services (im on 6k since last service). Do you have4 to change the sump washer each time or is it just every-so-often?

Be as well changing it, it only costs £1 ffs!!

Golf GT TDI, IS220d

Be as well changing it, it only costs £1 ffs!!

lol im so tight. I'll do it then. Is it worth getting a renault oil filter or will a halfords one be fine?

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Heard bad things about those mate, as they dont let you get to the bottom of the sump you will end up leaving a fair bit of oil in there.. haven't tried myself though so cant comment on a in the flesh knowlege

Heard bad things about those mate, as they dont let you get to the bottom of the sump you will end up leaving a fair bit of oil in there.. haven't tried myself though so cant comment on a in the flesh knowlege

I've extracted around 5 litres of oil from my motor using this device. Roughly the same amount when changing the oil the usual way. It may cost more, but its less hassle and complete oil change done in 15 minutes, no oil on the drive, or mucky hands, no need to go under the car or jack the car up, no warrenty issues, so easy even my wife could do it without breaking a nail!! Besides the dealership will do the regular oil change when it goes in for the service.

PH1 172 Sport
I can easily change the oil (the normal way) in fifteen minutes. Theres no need to jack the car up to do one. If your carefull mess is kept to a minimum. How do you remove the oil filter without getting mucky hands??

172 FF

I've extracted around 5 litres of oil from my motor using this device. Roughly the same amount when changing the oil the usual way. It may cost more, but its less hassle and complete oil change done in 15 minutes, no oil on the drive, or mucky hands, no need to go under the car or jack the car up, no warrenty issues, so easy even my wife could do it without breaking a nail!! Besides the dealership will do the regular oil change when it goes in for the service.

The only oil I get on the drive is when I take the oil filter off. How do you get that off without dripping oil?

It's not worth changing the oil filter, it wouldn't be that contaminated in 6k miles, the garage will do that in a further 6k miles when it goes in for its scheduled service. Its the oil that gets most contaminated so is changed more frequently.

Funnily enough, I hear more and more garages using these devices!

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Fair enough mate, but for me a job that takes under an hour i'm not really fussed as it only gets done twice a year, think i can spare less than 2 hours a year lol

It's not worth changing the oil filter, it wouldn't be that contaminated in 6k miles, the garage will do that in a further 6k miles when it goes in for its scheduled service. Its the oil that gets most contaminated so is changed more frequently.

Funnily enough, I hear more and more garages using these devices!

I'm not meaning to be a c**k mate.

But why would you fill the car up with fresh engine oil and mix it with old stuff in the oil filter ?

And what colour is your new oil after running it for a while (1000miles or so) with the old oil filter ?

Only a small quantity of oil remains in the filter. I've only done a few hundred miles since my last change and the oil is still pretty clear and certainly not enough old oil in the filter to contaminate fresh oil to make any difference. If I was that concerned I'd flush the engine at every oil change. The filter itself is only 6k miles old when the oil is changed and will get changed when it goes in for a service.