ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which mono Amp

Clio 172 Ph2

Say I was to give you about £500 - 600 to spend on a mono amp...which one would you buy?

You want the very best you can get for that money :)

Off the top of my head, theres the Rockford 1001bd, JL Audio 500/1, Directed 1100d.

Anyone had any first hand experience of the above amps? Does any 1 manufacturer stick out as being the best?

Thanks in advance.

A monoblock amp for that kind of price... I would have to say a Resonant Engineering RE35-1D. They are only £350 and are rated at 1500watts RMS @ 1ohm. It has been known that with a line driver putting 5.5 volts to it, one of those amps has managed 1900 watts RMS. You dont get power like that for that amount of cash anywhere else. Therefore we have one arriving this week for our upgraded demo system.

With reagrds to the other amps you have chosen to list. The JL is a good one but is slightly overpriced. However it does have the feature of being able to put out the same power no matter what the impedance is.

The Rockford bd amps are very good and are well priced and well built. If you load them down to 1ohm they can pound with the best of them with around 1600 watts RMS on tap.

The directed 1100ds are also very good. The new one in my opinion looks better than the old model but is too expensive at around £550. If you can get hold of one of the older shaped models for about £300 then youre laughing.

Just my opinion

Russ

Evil I.C.E. Car Audio

Clio 172 Ph2

Russ,

Ive been reading many great things about the JL Audio 500/1.

I think that is the one im going to go for.

Can you find out a decent price for it for me please? :)

Cheers.

350z & 16v Maxi

Russ the preout voltage does not affect the final RMS rating before clipping what-so-ever. Dont know where you get that from buddy.

Also personally if i was spending that money id go for the Caliber CA2010Dpro, well not would go for but have went for.

Colin

I think i lost track of this one somewhere due to me not being on here much over the last few days...busy busy busy.

After reading my comment about the line driver voltage again, i think it came out a bit wrong.

The good thing about the RE35-1D amp is that it should never clip. You can whack the gain up to full if you want and it will still keep going...depending on which sub youre running of course. We have recently had some new RE stuff come into stock and have been giving it some testing. Im gonna stick my neck out and say that they probably make the best SPL subwoofer on the market at the moment with the XXX15.

If anyone wants a demo well be having a stand in the shop shortly (and probably in a car too if anyone wants us to use theirs for demo purposes). It will consist of one of the XXX15 quad coil subs and an RE35-1D amp on each coil. Thats roughly 7000 watts into one sub.

Russ

Evil I.C.E. Car Audio

can of worms there russ lol

MTX new bad boy, also i hate to say it but the new kicker monster looks nice, just where can u find kw though

Tom

350z & 16v Maxi

Russ, i dont think you have your facts totally straight. If you are putting say 7 volts from a line driver into ANY amp and turn the game up full to normally 0.5 volts then it is going to clip.

Clio Williams 1, 182,197

Get the 500/1 its the dogs b****cks !! Ive just got one and a W6 AND BOY DOES IT ROCK !!

IM SO IMPRESSED WITH IT !! nOT ONLY DOES IT LOK SEXY BUT IT SOUNDS LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLY

Clio 172 Ph2

LOL!!!

Im just about to order one....but to whom do I give my hard earnt cash?!

Ive ordered some bits from caraudiodirect before and their service is pretty sh*te. Ive been waiting 2 weeks for some MB Quart coaxial speakers for the rear and havent heard a single thing from them.

Russ has yet to get a price - I guess he missed me asking :)

So it looks like ill get it from cel-direct.

Its £589 in there - how much did you pay for yours?

I can get you a price in the morning (Monday) if you havent already ordered one from CEL. Indeed i did miss you asking for a price..sorry about that.

Colin - that bit about the RE amp is straight from Resonant Engineering themselves. The maximum you can put into the amp without problems is 5.5 volts. With that voltage (based on being ran with an RE sub) you can turn up the gain to full and the amp wont clip. Its something to do with clever design.

Russ

Its certainly a tasty piece of kit. They are changing the design shortly making them strappable too which will be a welcome sight...unfortunately the price is going up a bit though but i think its still the best value mono block in the UK.

350z & 16v Maxi

I think it is weird that they have that thing with the gaina and the input volts. I dont understand the point. Some people might think it is a lesser amp because you do not get the full power unless you run 5.5 volts into it. A lot of people will not have 5.5v preouts which will mean that they will not get the full power out of the amp where they would out of other amps.

I cant see the point in it now?????

It is aimed at the SPL competitors really even thougha basic line driver will do the job in a normal system. We have been putting 5v to it on 2x Kicker Solobaric round 15" subs and it really does get ridiculously loud. I would say roughly 145-148db in sealed boxes. We need to get the subs back in the car and metered really which is the job for Tuesday. Then we will be adding the 2x RE HC12 subs with an RF bd500.1 @ 1ohm to each one for good measure. To be honest i dont know what the reading will be like but with around 3500 watts on tap 150db+ is fairly likely...just in time for the shows..nice!!!

Clio Williams 1, 182,197

I got mine with a discount from a place that installs sat nav and dvd screens at my work place !!

You should be able to find somewhere that will do it cheaper than £589.00

Hunt around and make it clear that you are serious and u have the dough waiting.