ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which engine mount is best?

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I've done a search and all I can find are threads asking, 'should I fit one?' or 'are they any good?'

What I want to know is are there many options and which one is best?

As far as I can tell my choices are the K-Tec one.

ktecp201.jpg

Then there's this Vibra Technics one that I only heard of the other week from someone on here.

(Pic won't embed)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VIBRA-TEC...CarParts_SM&hash=item3f159665bc#ht_1135wt_905

Are there any others I should be aware of?

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Ah right'O cheers for that. :approve:

Is that K-Tec mount in the pic all I need, or are there other bits that come with it or that I need to buy?

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Ok cheers for the info, i've found this pic in a project thread and it seems it's just a straight swap.

engine_mount_2.jpg

Thanks for the help. :approve:

Megane r26
There a straight swap, I had that one an the gearbox mount an then the dogbone but in the future I'm just gonna stick with standard Renault mounts an powerflex dogbone cause they cause no end of vibrations even once they've settled plus taking the flex/movement out will just put the strain on something else

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
I've got a polybushed dogbone already, it went in when the gearbox was replaced last year along with new OEM upper box mounts.

The only one left to do is the engine mount, so uprated it is as the manifold is hitting the subframe & heat shield,
from what i've read it looks like I can do it myself with a block of wood, a decent jack and a socket set,
not sure if I need to torque up any of the blots though?

Don't have a torque wrench, but i'm sure I can either buy one,
or borrow one from a friendly West Mids member if it's needed.

Megane r26
I've got a polybushed dogbone already, it went in when the gearbox was replaced last year along with new OEM upper box mounts.

The only one left to do is the engine mount, so uprated it is as the manifold is hitting the subframe & heat shield,
from what i've read it looks like I can do it myself with a block of wood, a decent jack and a socket set,
not sure if I need to torque up any of the blots though?

Don't have a torque wrench, but i'm sure I can either buy one,
or borrow one from a friendly West Mids member if it's needed.

Yeah it takes all of 15 minutes if that its an easy job, if your local pop over an I'll give you a chuck an torque it for ya

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
I'm in Coventry mate.

I've come to realise there's some really sound people on here that are more than willing to help out with mechanical stuff,
I really want to learn as much as I can, I just need people to show me how things are done, so I can get stuck in.

Recommend doing both the upper engine and upper gearbox mount if you do go for them though. I had just the upper engine mount (the one pictured above) fitted to my Cup and it caused one of the fixing on battery tray to snap due to the extra stress it put on it.

Megane r26
I'm in Coventry mate.

I've come to realise there's some really sound people on here that are more than willing to help out with mechanical stuff,
I really want to learn as much as I can, I just need people to show me how things are done, so I can get stuck in.

Yeah its a good forum, I'm in Burton on Trent so not a million miles away

53 Clio's & counting
I have ran the Ktec ones and the standard mounts, and tbh id run new OE standard mounts, once adjusted correctly they are tight enough, and even the ktec ones although tiger dont take all the movement out

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
I'll have a look and see if I can tighten it in the mean time, I just assumed it was f*cked,
it never crossed my mind to see if I could tighten the thing. :eek:

53 Clio's & counting
If you undo the 4 big bolts and pull the mount forward, it will tighten the movement up (it will take a good shove, and be carefull of the aircon pipes, but you should be able to move it a good inch or so)

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
are you sure your downpipe gasket kit doesn't need replacing? that can be the cause of knocking that sounds like the downpipe is hitting the subframe

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Tbh Dan it doesn't do it under acceleration, the new gearbox mounts and bracket you fitted stopped that massive clunk it was making,
I only really notice it when i'm going up and down the ramps of the multistory car park,
I can feel something moving slightly through the pedals and it's only a slight knock in terms of noise, not a massive clunk.

Ball joints/tie rods/track rod ends are all new on this year.

I don't know if that helps any mate, seeing as the engine mount is the original one (as far as I know) I just assumed it was that.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
are you sure your downpipe gasket kit doesn't need replacing? that can be the cause of knocking that sounds like the downpipe is hitting the subframe

I'm still getting the knocking under really hard acceleration from a standstill. I also noticed a sort of heatshield style rattle today from around that area too. Could it be this? Is this just a normal thin gasket or one of those flexi jobbies that looks like heatwrap?

172/ Mini Cooper 68
Good thread guys, just what I was after, as my 172 has dodgy o/s engine mount (n/s looks brand new) and have decide to go for oem topmounts and powerflex dogbone as other threads have said, as I wasn't sure whether to get ktech mount, but seems overkill now.