ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which do you prefer and why?

1.6 16v
Hi, Which do you prefer and why?

Which one handles better etc?

Clio 172 MK2 PH1 or Clio 172 MK2 PH2

Cheers Steve

Clio 182
i havent driven either but prefer the looks of the PH2, although i believe the PH1 is marginally quicker

ValverInBits
I've had a ph1 and they are good, and they can look easily as good as ph2. It's just the interior man! dear oh dear that ph1 interior, with the 2 tone and all :(
Ph1 are faster tho

Mk4 .:R32
ph1 is sliiiightly faster but not noticeably.

prefer the looks of the ph2 with a few choice mods and the interior is miles better.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Having owned both I'll say this.

I bought and sold a ph2 within 6 weeks. Then bought a ph1 and love it!

Prefer how it drives, how it looks (on the outside!) the lack of crappy malfunctioning gimmicks like auto lights and wipers, feel the ac is enough, no perspnal need for climate control.

Overall I just prefer the ph1. Could easily have bought a decent ph2 for what I paid for my ph1 so it wasnt down to money either!

1.6 16v
Having owned both I'll say this.

I bought and sold a ph2 within 6 weeks. Then bought a ph1 and love it!

Prefer how it drives, how it looks (on the outside!) the lack of crappy malfunctioning gimmicks like auto lights and wipers, feel the ac is enough, no perspnal need for climate control.

Overall I just prefer the ph1. Could easily have bought a decent ph2 for what I paid for my ph1 so it wasnt down to money either!

I remember you buying your mk2 172, why was it so bad??

Cheers Steve

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Well mine was fucked which I knew when I bought it tbf. However I hated the auto wipers, the worry of the xenons breaking the fragile climate control and the feel of the fbw wire and generally not what I was wanting. Was really disheartened after that hence the coupe.

I also prefer the looks of the ph1, especially in flame red!!

172 A Cupwork Orange™
love the cup,
reasons

1) its looks
2) its rawness
3) drivers car
4) quicker than the ph1
5) more like an old school hothatch
6) enuff said

106 GTi
Phase 1 does nothing for me looks wise, was beaten with the ugly stick front and back and across the dashbored ! When the 172 Cup came out I really wanted one, but still pissed about Pugs and missed the boat. As soon as I saw it was one of those cars I really had to have. Ended up with a 182 that I hate the exhausts and wheels on but hey hum!

02 Clio Sport 172 Full Fa
Phase 2 all the way, love its looks inside and out, havnt driven both but I love the way my phase 2 drives.

Always wanted a phase one as it used to be all i could afford, then i had the money to afford either and it was a clearcut decision the phase one has looked dated for years and as for the 197, I think its ruined the clio in terms of looks.

Mini Cooper S sport
Well that's your personal opinion and I respect that, but it is based on a design which is over 10 years old now.

And parked next to a 197, it looks incredibly dated (imo :rasp: ) .

True, it does look dated next to a 197, but I think the 172/182 has still aged well compared to a lot of other cars on the road :) and I still feel I'm driving around in a hot hatch which people would like to own.

Mondeo TDCI 130
There both awesome cars!! Remember driving a W reg silver ph1 when i was about 18, what a tool it felt compared to my 1.1 pug!!

ph2 imo!

ph1's for me are to old. I like the aggressiveness of the front, but the lack of bells and whistles put me off. The inside on a ph1 is now 10 years old too.

I have owned both and imo the ph 1 is a better drivers car as its more raw and the cable throttle is better.

ph 2 is more up to date though

i prefer the ph1 on looks though the interior is showing its age. The full fat ph2 172 is the slowest renaultsport clio made, the ph2 172 cup though is the fastest (basing this on power/tonne figures).

Which do I think is best? personally i think its all about the ph1. for someone else it will be the ph2. its all about personal choice!

Ph2 for me, if im honest while out an about I dont even notice when I pass a 172 ph1 or another bog standard ph1 (unless they arnt colour coded of course)

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
If both were from the same year and mileage, i'd go for ph1, but the ph2 would get the nod because its newer.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
having owned both i now like the ph2 better, i think the ph1 looks dated now, i dont like the dash or the blue interior. however it is more hands on to drive, but i like the ph2 because it has all the toys i missed when i sold my 1.2, looks better, quieter, nicer to drive,

more well girly lol

plus your hand doesnt get welded to the gear knob when its really really cold

RS Clio 172 Ph1
IMO Phase 1 looks prettier. Phase 2 could be any Clio Mark 2. both looking a little outdated now that the 197 has come along. Prefer the 182 in racing blue given the choice of any!!