ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which dash lights are an mot fail?

So the airbag light is an advisory(?)but since removing the abs I now have; Abs, esp, stop, emissions light
Could I tape up the abs and esp lights?

Tia

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
New MOT Rules coming in soon also state that all warning lights have to illuminate and then clear when turning on vehicle ignition so i had heard, no more removing bulbs or black tape :O

dan's cast offs.
Eml is still pass.
Airbag light on is fail.
Airbag light permanently off is pass and advise.
Remove all the and system and it's a pass.

Tonyclio

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Having spoken to my local garage as my Clio is going in for MOT soon I understand that rally cars will be allowed some exemptions. However the vehicle must be to all intents and purposes be a rally car which I understand would mean a fitted roll cage in addition to other fitments such as full harness belts. For a rally car the airbags can be removed (given they could be triggered on a heavy landing).

I have re-fitted the cat to mine, but removed all airbags and wiring and any reference to airbags being fitted ( on/off key on passenger door) and 'removed the dash lights', so we shall see.
I will only be using mine for hillclimbing and sprinting but it must be road legal and be in possession of an MOT.

I think the future for modern modified vehicles in relation to the MOT is about to get a whole lot tougher.

At the other end of the scale I have a 69 Ford Mustang Mach 1 with several modifications which, as from May '18 will be exempt!

DSC00021.JPG

dan's cast offs.
it's modified vehicles, not rally cars. that is used as a generic term, new mot has no changes regards modified stuff fwir?

Tonyclio

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
it's modified vehicles, not rally cars. that is used as a generic term, new mot has no changes regards modified stuff fwir?

Not straight forward is it?
https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/when-is-a-modified-vehicle-a-rally-car/

This is what concerns me and I suspect others on this forum who require an MOT for a car where some/all of the airbags have been removed.

in response to an earlier post

Eml is still pass.
Airbag light on is fail.
Airbag light permanently off is pass and advise.
Remove all the and system and it's a pass.

Not according to this:
http://www.ukmot.com/manual/5.4/Supplementary-Restraint-Systems-(SRS)#MOT

Last edited:
  dan's cast offs.
Not straight forward is it?
https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/when-is-a-modified-vehicle-a-rally-car/

This is what concerns me and I suspect others on this forum who require an MOT for a car where some/all of the airbags have been removed.

in response to an earlier post

Not according to this:
http://www.ukmot.com/manual/5.4/Supplementary-Restraint-Systems-(SRS)#MOT

the matters of testing article is from years ago, people just keep bringing it up and panicking about it. they use the term rally car so your average blurt in whatever car with an aftermarket steering wheel and no back seats can't argue the toss that he's got a 'modified' car.

the link for the airbag fail is wrong.

2.A Supplementary Restraint System (SRS) malfunction indicator lamp indicating a system malfunction.

if it's not illuminating benefit of the doubt has to be given to the person presenting the car.

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/m4s05000401.htm

Tonyclio

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
the matters of testing article is from years ago, people just keep bringing it up and panicking about it. they use the term rally car so your average blurt in whatever car with an aftermarket steering wheel and no back seats can't argue the toss that he's got a 'modified' car.

the link for the airbag fail is wrong.

2.A Supplementary Restraint System (SRS) malfunction indicator lamp indicating a system malfunction.

if it's not illuminating benefit of the doubt has to be given to the person presenting the car.

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/m4s05000401.htm

interesting article, my concern is the reason the rejection 1. An airbag obviously missing or defective.
I hope you are correct in your observations I'll find out on 3rd April!

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
There is a really easy solution to this which works as I tested it today.
You take the clocks off, remove the torx screws and needles, then take it apart to reveal the circuit board.
For the airbag for instance which will light up the SERV and Airbag LEDs. You use a soldering iron to desolder those LEDs , you then use some thin wire to power the removed LEDs from a near LED that works as it should. Obviously use electrical tape on the original solder points youve desoldered on the board.
For the SERV you splice power from the Petrol warning LED
For the AIRBAG you take the power from the EML light or just use longer wires to get power again from the petrol LED.

That way all the lights will come on when you switch the car on and go off after 2 seconds.

Use some electrical tape to make sure the LEDs are all where they are meant to be.

Obviously when you run low on petrol your SERV and airbag LEDs will come on too lol.

Works fine and the LEDs wont be dimmer or anything.

dan's cast offs.
interesting article, my concern is the reason the rejection 1. An airbag obviously missing or defective.
I hope you are correct in your observations I'll find out on 3rd April!

i am 100% correct. no light and pass and advise.

There is a really easy solution to this which works as I tested it today.
You take the clocks off, remove the torx screws and needles, then take it apart to reveal the circuit board.
For the airbag for instance which will light up the SERV and Airbag LEDs. You use a soldering iron to desolder those LEDs , you then use some thin wire to power the removed LEDs from a near LED that works as it should. Obviously use electrical tape on the original solder points youve desoldered on the board.
For the SERV you splice power from the Petrol warning LED
For the AIRBAG you take the power from the EML light or just use longer wires to get power again from the petrol LED.

That way all the lights will come on when you switch the car on and go off after 2 seconds.

Use some electrical tape to make sure the LEDs are all where they are meant to be.

Obviously when you run low on petrol your SERV and airbag LEDs will come on too lol.

Works fine and the LEDs wont be dimmer or anything.

or just stick a bit bit of black tape over the dash to cover the airbag light, you could even wedge a parking ticket etc in front of it to cover it, tester isn't allowed to remove it...i've never done this by the way :innocent:

@Gus

Im just about to do this, grabbed a solder from my dad though the last time I used one was in school ha. what type of electrical wire do you use? Have no clue

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
small as possible. I used a network cable (ethernet cable) I just pulled 2 strands of the inner cable. Other cables that are good that you might have kicking around is an IDE hard drive cable, usb cable. Just needs to be a small wire as its only carrying a tiny voltage for an LED.
pay attention to the LED polarity - they only light one way so if it doesnt work first time turn the LED around.

@Gus
Thats ideal, Ive got loads of old ethernet cables laying about. Thanks

Also the handbrake light is always on, with stop light, is this to do with the brake fluid sensor?

@bloke

I take it that the light turns off when the little metal clip stops touching the metal? If so its not that :/

Rear callipers have been seizing a bit recently, is temperamental but could it be that?

dan's cast offs.
get it plugged in and see what it brings up, not much that will bring it on if everything else is off.

dan's cast offs.
worth getting it plugged in, just because there are loads of lights on doesn't mean it's going to be an expensive fix.

Was just thinking if theres any cheap fault code readers that would work fine? Or I could plug it into my laptop with the right cable?

dan's cast offs.
cheap readers are s**t, cheap clip copy off ebay is worth having or the icarsoft seems ok, i've used one a few times now for the live data and graphing on it. you can get it with renault software on so it will read other stuff, not just engine related.

I'd sooner have everything working properly.. ? What is the point in having Airbags fitted if they aren't going to work? As you've removed the ABS I would get it reconfigured via Clip that it isn't there anymore.

Swapping clocks and having different mileage / fooling yourself that the dash lights are correct when they are running from another etc... I would be pretty annoyed if I was the next owner. This is what happens when people want to spend nothing, another thing that's happening when Clio's are so dirt cheap these days :(

I initially found my car came with taped over LED's, and also some had been removed all together. Got them all working again with the help of a spare set of dials, and I learned why they had been removed (faults galore!). A bit of time later, all fixed with piece of mind it isn't bodged.