ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

which coilovers???

dci126 & H&R'd 1*2
I'm in the proces of ordering some coilovers for my mk2 172, but the more i look at different kits the more my mind gets farked up.
Can anyone tell me the diffrence between the Bilstein B14 kit K-tec is selling and the Bilstein PSS kit from GDI.
Imo they look the same:eek:, and the bilstein site doen't get me any the wiser either.
K-tec makes it even worse by stating their kit is only about 20mm adjustable, while GDI sais 70-50mm.
And then there's still the H&R's to take into comparison.

Please help! , as i don't want to fork out 800 quid, and end up regretting it.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Well i've had 3 sets of H&R's over the years. Set for my 172 Cup, then on my 182 and now some on my 197. I love em tbh, so refined for road use. I had the mis fortune of getting a set of cheap coilovers (GAZ) before hand, and they ruined the car compleatly. Think the Bilstein kits are a wee bit harder and more track geared (valved different i think)...... although the MK2 clio H&R kits actually are Bilstein coilover shocks, and H&R springs......... If sticking to the two brands mentioned, you wont have any problems imo. Quality pieces of kit

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
H&R are meant to be very good, I've gone for AST adjustable's, only £50 more than the H&R's. Only coilover kit (AFAIK) that has a coilover for the rear and the front. Agree with gaz, don't skimp on them.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Give it a week or so and I can give you an idea on how the AST's run.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Yep. It's currently a shed (but a cheap, low miles shed). By the time it's perfect, it will still of cost less than cars with 30k miles more are going for.

rps13
it does NOT matter at all what coilovers you get, the choice in strut will only really make a difference to height settings

the most important factor in choosing new suspension is the SPRING RATES!

does anyone know the standard spring rates for a ff172???

Golf
Ave got gaz coilovers on me 172 and it hasnt ruined my handling, far from it, a would reccomend them

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
.... seriously if you tried a Bilstein/H&R shod Clio you'd have your eyes opened. Different league mate

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
it does NOT matter at all what coilovers you get, the choice in strut will only really make a difference to height settings

Bollox!!! So rebound/damping makes no difference??!!

Golf
A would expect them to be better for the difference in price, just sayin that imo there not as bad as most people seem to make them out to be. If a had the extra cash then a would of paid for H&R's Kw's.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Fair enough each to their own an' all :) I hated mine, made my Cup pogo all over the place, on any setting. Think BenR did some tests on the Gaz shocks and the damping was all over the shop. The rear dampers also are noisy in operation, clunking etc. I had two sets exactly the same.

Golf
A did once have a hairy moment on country road when a was goin round a corner that was bumpy and felt like a was going to bounce of the road but the werent set up properly then. Guess it depends why he wants coilovers, only use me car pottering about town and on track, dont really go on any bumby back roads etc

dci126 & H&R'd 1*2
H&R are meant to be very good, I've gone for AST adjustable's, only £50 more than the H&R's. Only coilover kit (AFAIK) that has a coilover for the rear and the front. Agree with gaz, don't skimp on them.
How much exactly for the ast's? and where do i get them, as i don't live in the UK.
Isn't ast from Holland??

Anyways thanks a lot for the input guys:star:
It seems that whatever i choose, bilstein or h&r, i just can't go wrong

Ph1 172 & meg 225 lu
i have gaz on mine, and altho i like them the ride is prety harsh on back roads and on hard they are just undrivable, if you want it low they are certinaly capable of that , all in all i would buy them again just for the cost but if i had a little more time and money when a bought mine i would have had h&r

Mk2 172

What a complete load of utter sh*t!!!!
The damper is the most important bit!!! LOL

Mk2 172
Gaz are not good. H+R next for me.

H&R's are very good im sure but the main reason they get so raved about on here and are the only ones people say to get is simply because up until recently it was the the only decent coilover setup available for a 182/172.
Plenty more available now tho!!!!

Last edited:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

:lolup:

Mk2 172

:lolup:

Yeah exactly what i said!!!!!! lol
Springs are the bottom of the list as they can be changed easily.

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
warren, where did you buy your AST's from? going to get some i think