ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which 197?

Evo 8 MRFQ320
having owned a 172 and a v6 im missin the clio. i have a focus st2 at the moment it is very fast top end with a remap and decat but im wanting a fun car and sumfin which dosent drink petrol.so i thought of a clio had the old one so i need 197 only i dont no which 1 to go with an advice.

cost dosent just want the best and funnist! cheers carl

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Yup, if money isn't the issue find the best, newest, lowest mileage 2nd hand R27 you can - or there is a 10 mile pre-reg, LY on the trader, it is £17k though heh. Get the latest build date/number you can and you'll get the revised gearbox as well.

Dan

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Yea absolutely true - but you can't get Liquid Yellow can you? Also, number plaques are cool hehe :) You can get the stickers on eBay :D

Also consider testing a Corsa VXR, nice cars IMHO and easy power with a remap if that's your thing. Regal give you 230bhp for sub £500.

Dan

Turbo LY R27
Also the R27 comes standard with a few things you have to tick the option list for on the standard 197. Its a better package and its limited edition, and the colour is awsome.

R27 is the best 1.

Mark 1 Clio V6
Sure the 197 isn't great for fuel, but compared to a Focus ST it is far better.

Doing my weekly slog in the Focus got me 20.7mpg.
Doing the same in the 197 Cup gets me 26.1mpg.
My weekly slog is 30 miles per day back and forth to work and averages 23 mph.

197 not great, but more than 25% better than the Focus and I'm sure that will increase as the car gets properly run in (currently only at 750 miles).

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Might i add somthing, why not look at the Vauxhall Astra 888 CDTi?

There 240bhp and have upwards of 400Nm of torque, it does 0-60 in 6.5 thats towing the line with a Type R and your still going to get upwards of 40mpg. Plus your getting willwood brakes recaro trim.

The only problem would be finding one as i think there was only 100 made.

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
888. is not 0-60 in 6.5 secs. thats what they say but all on the astra oners sites cant get below 7.5, but 0-60 isnt what the 888cdti is about. they are now making the T9

197 wise id have a r27 or FF dont see the point of the cup at the mo. not light enough imo. still all 197 are good cars tbh

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
888 is still a diesel Vauxhall Astra at the end of the day heh. Hardly a cutting edge drivers weapon.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Diesels not exactly exciting to drive:coffee:

Only ever consider if did alot of travelling, even then don't think so.

Had AMD Seat Ibiza years ago, very quick but not exciting.

MK1 V6 Lutecia / 197
having owned a 172 and a v6 im missin the clio. i have a focus st2 at the moment it is very fast top end with a remap and decat but im wanting a fun car and sumfin which dosent drink petrol.so i thought of a clio had the old one so i need 197 only i dont no which 1 to go with an advice.

cost dosent just want the best and funnist! cheers carl

Erm....you'll not save any petrol in a 197.....mine returns worse fuel economy than the V6 does....

If you do decide on a 197 get a 2008 FF in Glacier WHite with White speedlines, xenons and recaros and tints.....nicest one there is.

But I'm biased. Next to white get Ultra Red and then Liquid if you can find a second hand R27....

ST
Couldn't agree more mate...^

2nd hand R27 in ultra red if you can find one if not a glaciar white 197 with the cup pack, xenons, recaro's and climate..

The Jinx
I wouldn't bother with the white. THe paint on the bumpers and plastics looks less white than on the metal. Looks cheap. That was what I was after 'til I saw one up close.

Then I went Ultra Red.

As for suggesting a Vauxhall. A diesel Vauxhall. Are you out of your mind? Every Vauxhall I've driven over the past 10years has been utter rubbish. Chassis is poo. Build is poo. Looks are poo.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Yea the white one at my local dealer looks better in photos heh.

Dan