ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wheres my 5 k kick

Megane 225 F1
I only feel a slight kick at 5k in 2nd. I wouldn't call it a kick though, it just feels mor rev'ier (How the f**k do you spell that??!!!)

172 cup
Sounds like a dephaser pulley issue, i would get that changed with the cam belt as the cam belt has to come off anyways. Guna be expensive but will give you your 5k kick back, and hopefully solve the noise!

Renault Clio 182
Agreed. Mine gets going enough to break traction in 2nd/3rd when it gets to 5k (in the wet only though).

Same here :).
Might not be the same ferocity as say an EVO or Impreza etc, but it is a definite "kick", still enough to put a grin on my face after nearly two years.

Honda & VW
personally anyone who thinks there is a definate "kick" or whatever you want to call it, is probably being fooled by the change in tone rather than the change in the way the car pulls.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
personally anyone who thinks there is a definate "kick" or whatever you want to call it, is probably being fooled by the change in tone rather than the change in the way the car pulls.

That's rubbish imo. As others have said it might not be up to turbo standards but there is definitely a 5k kick or what ever you wish to call it. Maybe those that say they don't have it just have s**t engines!?!

B/G 182 FF
That's rubbish imo. As others have said it might not be up to turbo standards but there is definitely a 5k kick or what ever you wish to call it. Maybe those that say they don't have it just have s**t engines!?!
+1
I defiantly feel a kick at 5K especially in 2nd & 3rd, so much so that I have to hold the steering wheel tight as it tends to lose traction and wants to put in a ditch!

S'trollin on size 7s
before i got mine i was driving a turbo'd impreza STI and when i got my clio i thought it was slow, and then when i heard about this '5k kick' i was abit concerned thinking my engine wasnt running corectly because i felt no such kick, now im used to it as my own car now and not driven the scooby i now know what people mean ,it does slightly pull a tad more over 5k but as said already , i wouldnt regard it as a 'kick' by a long shot.
the STI though..now that 'kicked' lol

2004 182FF
My 182 has a definite, massively noticeable increase in acceleration at and above 5000rpm.

My dad had a GTi that I drove a lot and its very different to a turbo kicking in. Its more like a switch being flicked rather than a surge in power.

Last edited:
  Westy. MX5
In an untuned F4r car I would say there is no kick at 5k revs. it is just noisier which gives the impression it is going faster.

Westy. MX5
hello,
rite i here u lot talking bout your 5 k rpm kick, is this a fair bump or very gradgual??/
i had my car of brotheer in law, and to be fair she was a dog, but i coud not say no to her as i was mad for one, he wanted rid, its never been drove hard and neverer serviced till i had it. shame shame i know. im slowly getting her back to life. shes a 52 plater with 65000 ish??? any way when i boot it i cant feel no surge around this certain rpm. cheers christian

Major service time with new belts I would say.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
In an untuned F4r car I would say there is no kick at 5k revs. it is just noisier which gives the impression it is going faster.

Sorry but there is a surge in available power at 5k. I can see that by looking at my rolling road results. This "Noisier giving the impression of going fast" is b****cks because as the revs increase you are going faster lol.
People can give it all this "its not vtec", "it's not turbo" blah blah blah but what ever it is (coming on cam or whatever) it is there and alot of people who haven't had the pleasure of owning high powered turbo super cars.... can notice it.

phase 1 flamer 172
Definite power increase at just over 5000 i reckon, very noticeable in 2nd/3rd, steering wheel starts twitching as the extra power induces a little torque steer, and mines on 105,000.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
The 200 I drove had nothing, no kick at all.

It felt very strong throughout though. Something which can't be said about the 197.

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
When people are talking about a kick, it's a harder pull in the acceleration.
This is due to the uneven acceration curve in the standard map. Low down there is a kick, then it drops and picks back up at bout 5k.

1*2's that have had a remapped have a much smoother acceleration curve and therefore the kick is not as noticable as it pulls much stronger through the range.
However if your brother has never serviced it, I doubt he was bothered about getting it remapped.

I think with a good service your car should perform much better and you'll probably end up seeing a change at 5k.
(btw, if I were you, I'd stop worrying about the 'kick' for now and worry more about engine failure due to the belts not being changed).

edit: Oh and yes, I agree. There is a definite increase in acceleration above 5k. I doubt an increase in volume could throw your head back against your headrest.

Agreed. Mine gets going enough to break traction in 2nd/3rd when it gets to 5k (in the wet only though).

Experienced this the other day as I've not had mine very long or booted it in the wet. Soon as I hit above 5k wheels were spinning.

Watch your passenger's neck at 5.5k and tell me there's no kick :p

Haha, the way I drive it's like my passengers are dancing the whole time. God help them if they ever fall asleep on a long journey and I come across some decent roads!

I agree it's deffinatly not the same as a kick from a turbo etc however it's a noticable increase in power/torque, enough to physically see it eat through revs easier. Change in engine note and and passengers screaming just helps to make my balls fizz.

340i
yea dat kik wa propa sik on ma 172... propa chuked u in ya seat like well ard

Used to kik dat much ma gluv box flew open

dsc_0117.jpg

172 ph1
mine goes wild lol for a n/a car imo its class and sounds alot different my mates thought it was turbo'd (although those certain mates knew fook all about cars lol)

172 ph1
sounds interesting danny! so is this like a restrictor? if so can you actually get rid of this? i was thinking this the other day because if it pulled the same way mine does all the way through the revs it would be class lol

clio 172 ph2
rite well thanks for all your comments lads, just booked in with k teck on the 22nd to get her fixed up and looking low. changed my plugs back over today from irridium jobbies to bosch 4 prongs and new leads. feels a bit crisper through the revs, but lets get these belts belts done next. cheers all

christiano

monaco 172
rite well thanks for all your comments lads, just booked in with k teck on the 22nd to get her fixed up and looking low. changed my plugs back over today from irridium jobbies to bosch 4 prongs and new leads. feels a bit crisper through the revs, but lets get these belts belts done next. cheers all

christiano

bad move, ngk only for an f4r

clio 172 ph2
bad move, ngk only for an f4r

really, will they be ok for a while then or are they bad for it? stupid man in halfords told me that they were corrct plugs and better than ngk................................. suppose its my fault for listening to him instead of consulting the cs bible. ssshhyyyzzzzeeennnnnnnnn

172 ph1
my old mans built custom motorbikes for 30 year now and swears that these 4 prong plugs and all this b****cks they tell you is all fake....he also swears by just ngk