ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Where to mount go pro on a trackday?

Clio 182
After taking my go pro to donington in the hope of getting some footage, I found out that you weren't allowed suction mounts or to have it mounted on the helmet. I don't have a roll cage so I was wondering where abouts I could actually mount it to to get some decent footage
Cheers

Interested also! I believe you're allowed to have mounts adhered to the glass but not stuck by suction.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Ph2 dash?

mount.jpg

using the holes in the dash already.

Megane 225 f1
I had one on a mount that was stuck to the screen but it was hidden in the black edge by the rear view mirror. Worked really well and nobody mentioned it.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
clever^^

I stuck a go pro to my clock surround with the supplied 3m sticky pads. Didn't budge at all and was a pita to remove.

Who is organising the day? MSV don't mind if its suction mounted as long as you have an extra tie on it like a lanyard... But they don't enforce that.

WRX
I've got a sticky pad on top of dash and I also have the original mount that is used in the packaging on my parcel shelf. That can be either facing forwards or back. Forward shows reasonable driver action as well as track.

Megane 225 f1
It was javelin who i went with. I found them very relaxed to be honest on all aspects of the day but it was still very safe and well organised, good day. Could you take out the interior light and attach a lanyard somewhere in the roof?

Clio 182
I had a sticky mount attached to the side of the helmet in the hope that I was allowed that. But I'm sure in the safety brief beforehand he said no helmet mounts.
Ahhhhhh never thought of the passenger grab handle, what can you use to attach it to it?

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Most tracks I've been to have been fine with the GoPro 5G mount suctioned to my pax window. If they ever want it tethered, I'll cable tie it around the harness holes in my seats.

edwarj123

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I made a mount with an aluminium bar that clamped to the passenger headrest struts and so sat in the middle of the front seats, got a good view from there.
Pretty simple, a length of square aluminium tubing, 2 u bolts with butterfly bolts to clamp to the headrest and then used an M10 bolt on the end to screw the go pro mount to (or use a clamp mount round the bar)
Cost about £10 and 15 minutes to make.
I'll take a pic of it

I've just got a dashcam stuck to the windscreen, but sometimes its nice having the image framed with the dash/pillars. That said, inside the car they seem more susceptible to light balance issues.

edwarj123

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I made a mount with an aluminium bar that clamped to the passenger headrest struts and so sat in the middle of the front seats, got a good view from there.
Pretty simple, a length of square aluminium tubing, 2 u bolts with butterfly bolts to clamp to the headrest and then used an M10 bolt on the end to screw the go pro mount to (or use a clamp mount round the bar)
Cost about £10 and 15 minutes to make.
I'll take a pic of it
Here it is, a bit raw but does the job. Also full adjustable height and distance from windscreen by moving the headrest and seat LOL
Below is a link to a vid i took at Castle Combe using it (the trouble with this angle it doesn't make it look like your going very fast - oh hang on a minute, that might have been cause I wasn't going very fast haha

Attachments

• mount2.JPG
    mount2.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 413

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
What is wrong with the inside of the windscreen? But the camera needs to be upside down to fit, but IIRC GoPros can record upside down so you don't have to do any post processing.
Can also turn the camera around to get a good shot of the inside and driver/passenger.

I also think someone has made a mounting bolt for a camera that fits into the middle seat belt point in the roof of the car

The head rest mounts look pretty good, especially if you are running standard seats and not buckets.

Ph2 172
£2.50 handlebar mount from eBay clamped to inside leg of the passenger headrest :up: A passenger or non standard seat obviously puts that out the window though!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
It's not cheap but I've just purchased (birthday present) the following headrest mount for my GoPro...

http://www.haguecamerasupports.com/clamps-mounting-brackets/hague-camera-headrest-mount-for-cars

That is a very good buy, worth every penny.

I got mine in 2004 I think it was and it's attached to the headrest in my ST right now. It's been bolted on and off more times than I care to remember and still looks, feels, and works as it did the day that I first got it a decade ago.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
What is wrong with the inside of the windscreen? But the camera needs to be upside down to fit, but IIRC GoPros can record upside down so you don't have to do any post processing.
Can also turn the camera around to get a good shot of the inside and driver/passenger.

I also think someone has made a mounting bolt for a camera that fits into the middle seat belt point in the roof of the car

The head rest mounts look pretty good, especially if you are running standard seats and not buckets.
I do this. Using a eyelet bolt for a harness. Screw that in and attach my camera using a supergrip attachment for my camera. Total cost is £12 and works well.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Not the best pic but it shows where I mounted mine (on the clock surround)

image.jpeg

To appease the tdo, I'd just stick it down with the 3m adhesive stuff which is sticky as hell. Then tie a lanyard to it and the rear view mirror or something.

I bet it wouldn't come off in a crash tbh.

Speedy300

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
That is a very good buy, worth every penny.

I got mine in 2004 I think it was and it's attached to the headrest in my ST right now. It's been bolted on and off more times than I care to remember and still looks, feels, and works as it did the day that I first got it a decade ago.

Mark - I am happy with the mount however I get an annoying knocking sound on the recording, did you get an external mic?

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Borrowed my mates setup recently, which is two suction mounts with a bar between them, crossing between the rear windows.

Was a neat setup and offered a roll-cage kind of view point, but without the roll cage.

Audio only kicked at 15mins sadly.

Clio 200
I've got a Hague headrest mount. Brilliant bit of kit, however, I've just bought a 200 with Recaros so can't use it anymore. Might as well sell it.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Mark - I am happy with the mount however I get an annoying knocking sound on the recording, did you get an external mic?

Is that from your camera? I've never had anything from the mount itself but have had a camera or two that have had internal rattles, mounted on the headrest can be a pretty rough ride for them.

Speedy300

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Is that from your camera? I've never had anything from the mount itself but have had a camera or two that have had internal rattles, mounted on the headrest can be a pretty rough ride for them.

I am not sure if it's the mount or the camera housing. I am happy with the picture but trying to eliminate this rattle is the next task. I've ordered an external microphone, see if that resolves it...

I've got a Thruxton track day on Wednesday so a good opportunity to play with the set up.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Have you got a breakdown of what you ordered mate?

@Amos91

Sure thing -

Aluminium bar x1 - Outside Diameter: 19mm or 3/4" Length: 500mm or 20"
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-Square-Box-Tube-Various-Sizes-13mm-upto-51mm-/222164453796?

U Bolts x2 - (I just tighten these up with a 10mm spanner but you could get wing nuts for convenience)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231484221837?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Plastic End Caps 19mm - (Only to finish it off)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221124360...49&var=520109779014&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Then I just used the bicycle handle bar mount that came with my SJ4000 camera to fix it in place. Also used a bit of satin black paint I had laying around to tidy it up....

B8xMSHD.jpg