ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Where there's smoke... *update*

BG FF 182
As most of you know my car practically caught on fire from inside the steering wheel & I've since had it repaired, I thought I'd let you guys know what caused it...
So after a diagnostics was run out Renault came to the conclusion that it was a fault with the headlight switch burning out, melting connecting components which were the rotary switch, angle sensor & wiper switch!
As you can see a nasty little experience! The total costs came to £656.48 with £100 being knocked off as a good will gesture from Renault due to the seriousness of the incident & I had also ordered in some new headlight jets!
Im glad it's sorted now & I'm always going to be carrying a fire extinguisher in my car from now on!

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Takes the pee that your car randomly sets itself on fire and then you have to pay £565 for the pleasure.

Arctic Blue FF 182
Ouch! Least it should all be sorted...touch wood.

(Is there any pictures... this is media section?haha)

BG FF 182
Haha, if you read my previous thread "where there's smoke..." you can see the pictures there but I just added the update in media because that's where the original thread was...
£656 was after they knocked the £100 off! LOL!
Basically everything inside the steering wheel had to be replaced! I even went as far as contacting RUK & they said there's nothing they can do as my car is 8 years old & out off warranty! Sucks I know...

Black Sheep
Should've let it burn.

This is what I thought when I read the first thread. A lot cheaper. Easier said than done though.... Although with all the faults I have had I would say..... " burn you French piece of shite " :)

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
^ Presumably if it attempts to become inferno again the OP will have a comeback.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
7ae7c6bf.jpg

TBH.

BG FF 182
I think renault have pulled your pants down mate £656

(Media section???????)

Hardly... I rang round a few garages & they wouldn't touch it because the steering wheel would have to come off & they didn't like the idea of that & one I did find said they'd do it but it would have cost roughly the same! The main thing is it's fixed now I didn't expect it to be cheap the whole inside of my steering wheel was basically done for...
Even if I did get the parts off someone on here I've still gotta get them fitted & letting it burn? LOL really! Not worth the hassle!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
so does this happen whilst your in the car? Or is its something that happens later when you have lef the car? Do you use automatic headlights? Surely something of this nature would be a recall if its common?

330i. E30 Touring.
Agree about the breaking comments.

I've got the lot and wouldn't have asked for more than £50!

Clio Dynamique+ 1.4
I personally would have said "£100?! I think I'll be taking this further". Also show em this thread an what we as Clio owners think of this. That's an insult offering you £100 off. . Even at 8 years old a car shouldn't catch fire. My old 106 which is about 17 years old is still going fine, no random fires etc an the current owners can't fault it.

RF4

N17 CAJ
Mines in a local mechanics garage at the minute getting fixed for the same problem! How long did it take for your repair mate? I'll update you's with the costs to see if you have been taken for a ride!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
oops, sorry, I didn't mean me but can see how that looks like that! I was reffering to the two in this thread already and also spotted one elsewhere as well I think so its not a totally uncommon issue!

fear not, the RB is fine currently :)

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Mines in a local mechanics garage at the minute getting fixed for the same problem! How long did it take for your repair mate? I'll update you's with the costs to see if you have been taken for a ride!

Your car is curretly in bits! Finding the fault is turning into a massive pain in the arse...