ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Where is my EGR?

Clio 1.5 dCi 100
Hi, my dCi 100 is really smokey under acceleration so when I service it next I want to remove the EGR and clean it. My question is where is the EGR located? how easy is it to remove and refit?

Cheers, Leigh

Clio dCi 100 Dynamique 53'

Clio DCi 100
Hey Leigh,
ive got a dci 100 too, the EGR valve is located underneath the airbox in the engine bay. Tbh ure best off lookin on www.dcioffice.net theres a full do it yourself article on there with pictures. I know cos i need to do mine.

Excessive smoke can be reduced by using better fuel tho, say away from supermarket cheap stuff, use the ultimate diesel grade stuff if ure not already doing so, you get more out of a tank too :)

VW ID.3
Could be glowplugs, you can check to see if they are ok by holding a piece of wire on the top of the glowplug and putting the other end of the wire on the positive terminal. if you get no spark when put the wire on the positive terminal the glowplug is not working and will require replacing. Ive also cleaned loads of EGR valves up before all there is are three bolts holding it in at the back of the engine, the EGR valve might require twisting to be able to pull it out of it's housing, theres a electrical plug which will need to be uncliped. And to clean it you can just use a wire brush or screwdriver to loosen the build up of carbon deposits. refitment is just the reverse of removal. Bit of a long post but hopeful a useful one!

Clio 1.5 dCi 100
Thanks to everyone, followed the intructions on the dcioffice link. Really straight forward. The Egr took some brute force to remove, absolutely caked in soot and tar like deposits. Left it in a pot of engine degreaser whilst I scooped out lumps of carbon and "tar" from the valve body. Also took the opportunity to remove and clean the "hockey stick" inlet pipe which was full of the same crappy deposits.
Seems to have significantly reduced the amount of smoke I've been kicking out before. Hopefully the mpg will come back up too. (dropped from a consistent 60mpg to 54mpg, in the last fortnight, same driving style and same commute to work)

Thanks again everyone,

Cheers, Leigh