ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

where exactly is the power gain??

del

2004 Clio Cup 172
between the 172 and the 182 exhaust is the gain of 10hp purely in the manifold or im thinking you would have to change the whole system to see the gains, can any one shed any light on this? :S

cheers

BMW M3
As far as i know, the 182 has an improved manifold and cat. TBH though some 172s have more power std then 182s so its not a great deal. Think is a 4-2-1 set up.

Oh, and obviously the twin pipes but doubt if that makes a differnce.

Lionel Richie
thats according to the rolling road!

main difference is the exhaust manifold and cat, the inlet manifold is the same but the casting is better on the 182

thats about it

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I have a 172. On the petrol filler it says 95 octane.

I have heard people with 182s say theirs says 98 octane. I don't know whether that's correct, and whether its just a matter of whether it depends on the country of sale.

But when I heard it I wondered if Renault had gotten some of those extra 10 horsepower (OK, pd, but the difference is smaller) by tuning the 182 to take advantage of 98 octane.

Der Panzer
Was it not a different manifold, injectors and exhaust system?

As I'm sure a lot of people on here have done, I've driven both and didn't feel a great difference. If anything the 172 Cup felt slightly more nippy; lack of A/C etc.

I have a 172. On the petrol filler it says 95 octane.

I have heard people with 182s say theirs says 98 octane. I don't know whether that's correct, and whether its just a matter of whether it depends on the country of sale.

My 172 filler cap says 98 octane.

Golf GTI PP Mk7
mine too, to be fair theres so little in it though, the 10hp gain the the 182FF has over a 172 cup for instance, the cup makes up for in its wieght loss. i think if u put a mk1 172, mk2 172FF, 172 CUP, 182FF, 182CUP and Trophy down santa pod with identical drivers and perfect conditions, there would be a few 10ths of a second in it.

mine too, to be fair theres so little in it though, the 10hp gain the the 182FF has over a 172 cup for instance, the cup makes up for in its wieght loss. i think if u put a mk1 172, mk2 172FF, 172 CUP, 182FF, 182CUP and Trophy down santa pod with identical drivers and perfect conditions, there would be a few 10ths of a second in it.

Yup. Would partly depend on whether they had 'good' engines or not. Many do not put out the claimed 170/180 bhp.

My petrol cap says 98 too. One marked 95 sounds a bit suspect to me. Is it an import?

del

2004 Clio Cup 172
cheers boys, im glad from wat ive read its mainly the manifold and cat cos i dnt wanna be puttin the twin pipes on! jus want as much power as possible from it, keepin it standard has worn off on me lol!

Golf GTI PP Mk7
nah, mine says '98 ROM Reccomended'

On a side note, if my schlong saw as much action as Pump 1 at Finedon shell garage, id be a lucky man, every penny i earn goes in that flaming thing.