ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheelspin in the wet = major knocking

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Never noticed it with 17's on but with 15's on it sounds like the front suspension is falling off!

What causes it again?

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Not really, I'm just saying, I've had loads of other hot hatches and its never done it on any of them!

Happens on most of them, there was a thing a while back about it being the engine hitting the subframe. Is this with traction control on?

sounds like its tramping to me basically its just the wheels spinning and bouncing

wheel tramp
Definition: The up-and-down bouncing motion of a wheel or spindle due to static imbalance or an out-of-round tire or wheel.

Clio 172mk2
yer mine did it other week , thought engine was about to fall out ,

also think the tracktion control had a part in it though

Clio 172mk2
not my fault the 5k revs kicks in so harshly , thats when i allways seem to get wheel spin in wet

well how come I dont or didnt then? Because I can drive properly;)

Clarts just not used to all that extra power after his valver:clown:

MKIII 138
the worst response to these threads is "learn to drive" "dont floor it in 1st" etc.. stupid comments imo

last wed on the way to work both my usual ways in were blcoked with traffic i had left enough room in the road to turn around safell go back to another route without traffic, however the righ hand lane was clear and so any cars coming out of the city would be doing around 50-70mph of course im not one to leave it to chance i checked it was clear and then quite quickly behind me came another car as i had turned and was straigght it was time to accelarate so as not to inconvienience the car now hurtling towards me (must have sped up once he/she had seen me) ok no probs.. 0-60 in 6.22 at least officially 6.5..... foot down 3/4 of the way so 90% throttle whilst rolling at 10mph and .... bang, bang, bang,... not going very fast forwards... 2nd gear.. bang bang.. at then finally late in 2nd i had established some sort of grip and made it upto speed.

im tired of people saying "learn to drive" it doesnt take much driving skill to go forwards in a straight line rolling already and unless you shudder off in 2nd and muller the clutch as you cant release of you will stall then i find it hard to understand how i could drive any better ??? how much effot should i put in to setting off from a junction, the clutch pedal is stiff, it bites too high so unless you rev you could stall as there is a perceptable dip in power as the cluctch is fully lifted and the accelarator is pressed, hence why launching is about the right revs.

even simple moderate junction exits are a pain, off course too little and you will stall and too much and your engine will bang like fook unless its bone dry, and your tyres are hot.

its a s**t piece of design, wheels spin is ok, i expect that in a powerful lightweigh fwd car, but banging actually makes the situation worse as the wheels bounce.

why do people talk crap about 0-60`s on here when knowones car can get the power down unless its dry, ohh hang on we live in the UK where its either, rainy, slippy, icy, snowy etc.. there was two weeks of summer this year big wow !

i love the cup once moving and i loved my 172MKII when moving but getting it to move due to heavy clutch, high bite point, heavy revs, axel tramp (or whatever is causing it) makes moving a b**ch + combine with the 172`s lathargy at low rpm and its a c**k to get moving compared with any other normal everyday car.

172beast

Adjust the engine mounts, it'll help no end, did the top mount and one under battery on my old un and it pretty much eliminated the knocking, just moved the mounts forward more, only few mm but stopped it.

An orange one
i had this exact problem, went to arnold clark in dumfries, the guy knew instantly what it was, it was the manifold hitting the subframe, absolutely fine now :):)

MKIII 138
mark Saville said:
Either convert to rear wheel drive or drive in reverse!

two fixes there, again another silly comment.

so basically its the engine mount ? i had mine replaced one under the battery and it still does this, so il have to try the manifold fix, what exactly is dont to the manifold

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Here you go.

I fitted these to my Mk1 172 Clart. It's fine now.

Clicky!

Does your car 'grumble' under load too? in first and second mainly.

I get this alot as various people on here have experienced.

Engine Mount/Gearbox mount that's what I'll be looking at sorting this weekend.

172beast

Its the mounts yes, just adjust em, not hard, I got a mate to pull the engine forward while I moved the mount as far forward as poss then tightened it up good and proper, did same on mount under battery and it solved it. They'll slip back again like but like 20 minute job to adjust em again, mine lasted about 20k until I sold it and didn't need adjusting again like.

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255
If it's when the wheels are spinning initially then it's mostly tramp ... wheels are scrabbling for traction and bounce a bit.

If it's knocks/vibrations when more generally at full chat then it's most likely the mounts. As you can see most owners have the problem since standard 172 mounts aren't up to the job ... and so as engine twists on full power it knocks or touches stuff. Not much clearance in there. My 172 used to touch the manifold against the heat shields and vibrate.

Given the age of your 172 I don't reckon you'll be able to use the uprated K-Tec bottom mount unfortunately. Mk1s have a more traditional dog bone ... with big circle at one end and small at the other.

2001 172,VW Touran
it's a very frustrating problem.I've had my 172 on an 02 plate for 6 months now and my only gripe is the knocking i've replaced all engine mounts.Problem still there so i replaced the bottom mount with the k tec one.Guess what it's better but it's still there.I'm now thinking its the exhaust i had made buy long life is to heavy for the mounts and when the judder starts it sounds like a ska band

Elise/VX220/R26
very strange thing this, I had it bigtime on my 172, its just the tyres gripping I think, theres no fault as such, I never had knocking at any other time. on the megane I have quite a bit more power going to the fronts but it never ever knocks, strange

I had this problem for 18 months, learnet to live with it as i thought it was incurable, i was wrong.
Changed the dog bone mount, moved the engine forward on its other 2 mounts and it cured.
Im mega happy now.

Bumder With A Buffer
Ok might be a bit late but i get a knocking when turning corners at slow speed, well it's more of a rumble really like something knocking in the engine bay??? Been to renault twice to sort it and it still does it

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
This engine mount mod that seems to cure it...does the modification itself...

1. ...actually stop the engine moving or

2. ...relocate the engine just slightly so it doesn't catch whatever it was banging on in the first place?

mines going into rentech in a couple of weeks - Mike said he will fit the poly bushed that k-tec sell which hopefully should sort it

1998 BMW e46 323i
my mk2 sport does this... thought the CV joint was on the way out!!!!

I say ignore the little noises and enjoy the drive....

Mr2 Roadster
Mine does it top end in 1st, 2nd, 3rd into 4th change.

Drives me bonkers, has been worse in th wet/cold.

Mine is a MkI like Clarts and Fubars.

BMW 120i Sport
Happened in my Fiesta Zetec-S, happened in my 182 and it happened on my M roadster today - so it does indeed occur on rear wheel drive :)

E91 M Sport
Big G said:
Happened in my Fiesta Zetec-S, happened in my 182 and it happened on my M roadster today - so it does indeed occur on rear wheel drive :)

lol, is that because you've been driving too fast! ;)

E91 M Sport
I bet, its been damn cold down here too, but thankfully fwd is a little more predictable (or is that just being boring ;))

Audi S3 225
mine does it top of 1st, 2nd and a bit in 3rd. And does it like mad when wheelspinning. I changed the mount under the car with as new one from reno, and it did nothing. Gonna give the guide a go when the waethers better.