ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wheels :O?

clio 1.2 dynamique
need some advice... i have a hologram grey 2003 renault clio dynamique.

it comes with 15's as standard but i am wanting to get new alloys. preferable 16s :D

but i dont know what wheels to get :O.....

advice on what wheels to get would be great, and if you have any pictures of your own wheels that would look good would be even better :p

cheers simon

I'd speak to your insurance company first. They might not allow modifications or if they do, they might want to charge you the world.

sidey

ClioSport Club Member
  cup'd arctic 182
172 alloys. Very similar 5 spoke to your dynamiqe wheels but 16"

clio 1.2 dynamique
im not insured yet, need to wait until my 18th which is in november, so i am wanting to do things to the car before i get it on the road :)

clio 1.2 dynamique
i have looked at them before but didnt know whether or not to get them as they are very similar, and i havent decided if i want something different or not, i.e. turinis would be a dream to get :p

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
im not insured yet, need to wait until my 18th which is in november, so i am wanting to do things to the car before i get it on the road :)

It's still worth checking how much - if anything - it will cost to insure different wheels.

Clio 197
If they are still Renault clio alloys it shouldn't be that much more on inusrance. They might not even charge you.

I'd go for clio 172 or 182 alloys :)

clio 1.2 dynamique
i dont know if TD pro 1.2s would be too "chavvy" or if it would look alright?

also, how would black wheels look as i am getting my roof and spoiler wrapped in gloss black?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
If this is your first car, and you don't actually know what you want to put on it, then why bother ?

Seriously..

It will probably put your insurance premium up as they are not what it left the factory with, even if it's an alternate OEM wheel.
It will cost you more in tyres as they are larger.
It won't handle as well as with 15s.
It will look like a tractor without suspension mods.
You'll probably have a few grand to pay out for the insurance premium anyway (I'm presuming you've checked this out already?!), so why spend more money on a car you're statistically highly likely to end up in a ditch/side of a bus with ?

Megane Diesel / 172
If this is your first car, and you don't actually know what you want to put on it, then why bother ?

Seriously..

It will probably put your insurance premium up as they are not what it left the factory with, even if it's an alternate OEM wheel.
You'll probably have a few grand to pay out for the insurance premium anyway (I'm presuming you've checked this out already?!), so why spend more money on a car you're statistically highly likely to end up in a ditch/side of a bus with ?

It's people like you that make this Forum so fecking tiresome sometimes, all the points you make are valid but why don't you trying putting them in a more positive and/or unpatronising way????

clio 1.2 dynamique
because its my first car i am wanting to do stuff to it. i am smartining the car up imo.

and you obviously brand young drivers like everyone else by saying it will end up in a ditch or in the side of a bus! good going mate!

Seriously..

is1

Integra Type R DC2

Seriously..

TBH, this is absolutely spot on. I know it sounds like a telling off but this is usually people (like me) who've been through the learning curve and are trying to help by giving a firm warning.
Some practical points I will mention as I know you will get some wheels (we've all been there):
- Bigger wheels will mean your tyres need to be lower profile. This will mean that visually, having less tyre coming off the wheel on a side-on view, will make it look like the car is on stilts. To pull off bigger wheels, you will then want to/need to lower it. More expense and the spiral begins ...
- Black wheels don't work for me. You lose the detail in the wheel, the wheels look smaller and at worst, look like dodgy hubcaps and finally, they should "MODIFIED".
- When you buy a set of wheels, you will no doubt end up buying the cheapest set of tyres to clad them in. That tends to be how they are offered. This is very very bad and means you lose what is regarded as a really fun little car to drive and gain, well, very little.

Megane Diesel / 172
TBH, this is absolutely spot on. I know it sounds like a telling off but this is usually people (like me) who've been through the learning curve and are trying to help by giving a firm warning.
Some practical points I will mention as I know you will get some wheels (we've all been there):
- Bigger wheels will mean your tyres need to be lower profile. This will mean that visually, having less tyre coming off the wheel on a side-on view, will make it look like the car is on stilts. To pull off bigger wheels, you will then want to/need to lower it. More expense and the spiral begins ...
- Black wheels don't work for me. You lose the detail in the wheel, the wheels look smaller and at worst, look like dodgy hubcaps and finally, they should "MODIFIED".
- When you buy a set of wheels, you will no doubt end up buying the cheapest set of tyres to clad them in. That tends to be how they are offered. This is very very bad and means you lose what is regarded as a really fun little car to drive and gain, well, very little.

Isn't that a better way of putting it tho???

clio 1.2 dynamique
yea i agree. do you think i should keep the wheels i have and just get them refurbed as they were scuffed when i bought the car, or buy new alloys but 15s?

is1

Integra Type R DC2
It depends. If you are after a different look, have you considered something like turbines from a phase 1 or similar? They may be a bit wider too and may look a bit different without looking wrong if you see what I mean.
Refurbing your original wheels is no bad thing and that alone can improve the look of your car.

A little tip though, if you're trying to improve the "look" of the car, a relatively cheap way of doing this is to get a good quality set of lowering springs (say Eibach) fitted.
They won't ruin the ride, it won't look silly slammed but will get rid of the arch gap. This will actually make your standard wheels look better because they nestle in the arches more.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
It's people like you that make this Forum so fecking tiresome sometimes, all the points you make are valid but why don't you trying putting them in a more positive and/or unpatronising way????

If I'd just written "Don't do it" that would have been less helpful than a chocolate fireguard, so I elaborated a little. I could have bored him/you to death with physics lessons behind increasing roll centres, sidewall deflection and such like but I'm pretty sure it would be lost on most people generally.

So, if my points were valid, so what's the issue ? Thanks for your equally impressive comment. Why didn't you help make my points more positive ?

The tiresome things on this forum are people moaning about things like this. People asking the same questions over and over and then people ignoring advice, doing what they want then coming back moaning about that when it goes wrong. If I moaned about every single thing that was negative, unhelpful, useless or incorrect on this site I'd have to quit my day job to have enough time !

because its my first car i am wanting to do stuff to it. i am smartining the car up imo.

and you obviously brand young drivers like everyone else by saying it will end up in a ditch or in the side of a bus! good going mate!

If it's your opinion, then why ask anyone else ? Again, not having a go, just asking ?

Spend 10 mins searching the media/projects section and you'll have ideas as it's normally the same things over and over again.

Why do you think insurance is expensive for young drivers ? Statistics. You may go onto having an impeccable driving record and live happily ever after, and I wouldn't wish anything but this on anybody. However, we were all young once, overconfidence and inexperience = fail more often than people who have been driving for 2, 5 or 30 years.

These cars look just right as they came out the factory. No doubt a subtle drop helps the looks, but then you'll need spacers to regain the lost wheels under the arches... it all becomes expensive and insurance companies start putting the price up for you.

Thanks.

Oh, just to add, my 182 Trophy comes with 16s. I wish it was 15s.

One of my points proven, thanks again :)

yea i agree. do you think i should keep the wheels i have and just get them refurbed as they were scuffed when i bought the car, or buy new alloys but 15s?

If they are scruffy, you could get them powder-coated with a nice sparkly silver and it will look great, probably better than it did when it rolled off the line ! Seal them up before you put them on the car and it'll be easier to keep clean. Get some new decent rubber on there at the same time and you're all set for years of happy motoring.

(There, is that better ? :rasp: )

Megane Diesel / 172
Fair enough point on all counts, and the thing is I DO agree with all that you say but I just thought the way you put them across the first time was dismissive of somebody who is obviously new to this and needs advice and encouragement from somebody who is obviously more experienced then them

Also I should of said 'answers like this' rather than 'people like you' - I don't know you and am in no place to comment.....

;)

Megane Diesel / 172
It depends. If you are after a different look, have you considered something like turbines from a phase 1 or similar? They may be a bit wider too and may look a bit different without looking wrong if you see what I mean.
Refurbing your original wheels is no bad thing and that alone can improve the look of your car.

A little tip though, if you're trying to improve the "look" of the car, a relatively cheap way of doing this is to get a good quality set of lowering springs (say Eibach) fitted.
They won't ruin the ride, it won't look silly slammed but will get rid of the arch gap. This will actually make your standard wheels look better because they nestle in the arches more.

Here's my 172 with Turbines on if it helps, but bear in mind I do have coilovers.
View attachment 64684

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Yours is actually my inspiration (seriously). Remember though, don't paint them black, they'll disappear!

Rules are there to be broken.

Black wheels if done right look spot on... ;)

3582628332_2a6bc861f0_z.jpg

clio 1.2 dynamique
i plan in getting an eibach lowering spring kit fitted in due coarse. i may just lower it and get 15s put on, even get my wheels refurbed :) and i take it i should stay away from black wheels :O?

btw does anyone know of anybody that could colour code my side strips spoiler front bumper and my back bumper (might get a 172 rear bumper) just i dont really trust mself with the spray can :p

1.216V Hologram Grey
hey buddy i have a 2002 Hologram grey clio and im 17 ..18 in a couple of weeks, ive got the 16'' 182 alloys and imo i think it looks sweet! and insurance didnt change for them :)