ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheels first or last??

db

db detailing™
Had a right ding dong debate at work today about when you should wash your wheels...
Before or after the bodywork?

I personally do mine first (but apparently thats just plain stupid!)

When does everyone do theirs?

Clio 197
Before of course, why would you want to get brake dust all over the bodywork after you have cleaned it?

I normally do them whilst some wash&wax foam is soaking on the bodywork

db

db detailing™
It doesn't matter, just curious. I use seperate water/products to the body anyway.

db

db detailing™
Before of course, why would you want to get brake dust all over the bodywork after you have cleaned it?

I normally do them whilst some wash&wax foam is soaking on the bodywork

Exactly! How do those who do them last not get nasty water spots all over the bodywork from it drying? Keep spraying water to keep it wet?

F56 MINI Cooper S
Do my wheels first, get them out of the way like. If not, i end up getting water/suds on the polished paintwork...

this is the kind of thing that turns into an epic multi-page discussion on DW :)S). how can it matter whether you wash your car's wheels before or after the bodywork? use a different bucket and don't pour it over the car after you've done the wheels?

120d M Sport
Forget having dirt from scrubbing the wheels splashing up your clean paint lol, stick with doing it the way you are!

Clio 197
this is the kind of thing that turns into an epic multi-page discussion on DW :)S). how can it matter whether you wash your car's wheels before or after the bodywork? use a different bucket and don't poor it over the car after you've done the wheels?

Because if you clean your wheels properly with a brush s**t goes everywhere

db

db detailing™
Forget having dirt from scrubbing the wheels splashing up your clean paint lol, stick with doing it the way you are!

I am dude! Had the whole office against me like I was some sort of weird freak today!

sorry db. i wasn't having a go.

i always jet wash over the whole car + wheels when im done so i guess thats gets rid of all the dirt being flung around. so doesnt matter either way :D

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I was the bodywork then the wheels.

Soak the wheels with brake dust remover for a few minutes whilst I start washing the bodywork, rinse the wheels then continue washing the bodywork. Rinse car, wash wheels with a sponge (wool mitt for the bodywork) and then dry the car. Any polishing/waxing etc happens after this.

Don't know if this is "right" but it works for me.

Porsche Boxster987S
always last. Why clean them and then let the dirty water from the bodywork drip all over them?:S

Ph1
I usually wash the body first then tip the left over water from that into a different bucket and do the wheels.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
First. Then its not an arse cleaning/jet washing arch linings trying to avoid a polished car. Seal them last.

182 Cup
I'm no cleaning expert, but the Auto Gylm guide that came with a washing kits says do them first. Don't care why.

Tay

Titanium Clio 182
Do mine first then wash car from top down, always have done.

I use different kit to do wheels so makes no odds.

:)

Megane R26
I always do mine first, to avoid water drying on paint on warmer days, and splashing from the wheels/arches onto clean paintwork.

Totally separate brushes, buckets etc too.

EZ Brush, Swissvax Brush and some Bilberry and you're sorted, with some Megs Super Degreaser for your tyres and arches (or Surfex HD)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
always last. Why clean them and then let the dirty water from the bodywork drip all over them?:S

Because i'd rather have the dirty water from my paintwork drip onto the wheels (which i'd hose off anyway after) than have the nasty brake dust etc from my wheels go onto my just cleaned unprotected paintwork.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If I'm at work with all the kit, then I do them first.

If Im at home with a bucket and sponge, the last.

I'm a bit OCD though.

M135i
first for me too with seperate bucket and water. i usually use a cheap shampoo on them and a sponge.

the body is a whole different story though :)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I do them last...But pro's do them first...Different buckets so it doesn't really matter.

b/g 182, meg tourer
i always do the wheels first. otherwise all the crap from the dirty wheels will go all over the car i have just cleaned.
and by the time the wheels are clean, spots of dried water will apear on the paintwork.

i use separate products and procedures. so i do them when i want to tbh. if i snow foam (which recently i do pretty much everytime) i will wash the wheels while the snow foam is doing its job. then spray off wheels at the same time as the snow foam.

jamie

Clio172 / Focus Ti X
i wash my car from top to bottom so the wheels will come last with a seperate sponge. then i rinse the whole thing in a oner

i use separate products and procedures. so i do them when i want to tbh. if i snow foam (which recently i do pretty much everytime) i will wash the wheels while the snow foam is doing its job. then spray off wheels at the same time as the snow foam.

jamie

Tis a good shout that actually... Might do that if I do them at the weekend :D