ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheels corroding causing slow puncture.

320d
Two of the wheels on my MX5 are corroding according to the tyre fitting place I use around the inside rim and causing the tyres to slowly deflate.

I've had one of them resealed twice, they use a wire brush and reseal the tyre and its fine for about two months then it happens again.

What is the best solution? Will a wheel refurb fix the problem?

Cheers for any advice, Brett.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
If they are corroding then the only real option is a full refurb. That's the only way of ensuring the alloy is sealed again.

172 cup, Impreza P1
If the wheels look ok from the outside just take the tyre off, rubb the corrosion off with emery paper until nice and smooth, prime, paint and lacquer the groove that the tyre sits in and then refit the tyre. Done this on a couple of wheels for the same issue and worked every time. Hell of a lot cheaper than a full wheel refurb too.

Mark the tyre in relation to the wheel too then you shouldn't need to rebalance it either.