ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel wobble with new bolts

RB 182
My parents bought me some tpi bolts for Xmas but they came with a 17mm hex, not 19mm.

I phoned up the place they bought them from and he said that tpi don't do a 19mm hex in this size, so I thought nothing more of it as they are the correct thread type of 12x1.5 with a seat type of 60d tapered and they're 28mm long.

I fitted them last week and came to drive the car yesterday and the wheel isn't sat flush with my spacer and they're is quite a bit of play in the wheel and it's clunking as I drive.

We took the wheels off and refitted them again with the tpi bolts and it's still wobbling with the bolts screwed up tight, but when we changed back to the original bolts it was fine.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Here's a pic of the tpi against the original:

AD43119B-AB22-427A-81AB-91EDD0E6F356_zpsibrkflk1.jpg

Last edited:
  RB 182
If your running hub centric spacers with them, chances are the bolts are bottoming out on the spacer before being tight on the wheel.

That's what my step-dad just said when I came back out from writing this.

Think I'm going to have to look into cutting the bolts by 1-2mm.

Many.
Take the spacers off the car, bolt them to the wheel using the TPI bolts and you'll see how much they stick through.