ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wheel sealants

BG 182FF
poorboys wheel sealant any good? at 12.00 its a bargain although i would imagine a pretty entry level product. if its not good then what is ??

how long after a fresh refurb is it best to wait before 'sealing' the wheels with a wheel sealent wax??

regards
luke

BG 182FF
does this mask or affect the finish of the wheel at all? or is it literally a totally clear coating?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Do these wheel sealants last and actually work? What's it supposed to help, the brake dust or the alloy itself?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Thought so. Been using the auto glym wheel sealant, bought it yonks ago the one in a spray can. Seems ok, maybe expecting miracles lol

I'm using the poor boys pink wheel sealant stuff. It seems to work, I apply a few coats before trackday and it made getting the race pad brake dust off a lot easier.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Maybe you haven't read the thread I linked.

Over a years protection from one application , and all it took was a rinse with a citrus wax safe pre wash and a detailing brush and they came up spotless, no tar spots, no brake dust. Still looking glossy like it had just been applied.

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
Get a ceramic nano sealant on them. It cannot be beaten, especially with horrible track pads.
C.quartz or c5 are great

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Not intending to sound rude, but if you read it you wouldn't need to ask. It will allow you to ask more in depth questions about the product.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It doesn't help that people clearly don't listen. Especially regarding wheel sealants.

Dave and JD have been repeating themselves for ages now.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I was going to have a moan about your unhelpfulness but the link is a few posts above mine lol. Need to get a larger screened phone :(

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I can understand not wanting to use a nano sealant on panels, as I like many others enjoy waxing, and changing and trying out different products. But cleaning and sealing wheels is a ball ache, never been an enjoyable job, and thoroughly cleaning and decontaminating is always regularly necessary. More so than panels.

A nano sealant is a do it once and leave it alone product. For wheels and other such areas, it's worth the extra initial cost and prep required.

BG 182FF
You say 'prep' required. Reading the thread I'm presuming you mean the wipes?
if I'm using this on a totally fresh from the painters refurbed wheel would I be ok to apply the sealant straight away or is it still advisable to do some extra prep??
luke

Golf GT & A4 Avant
If the base isn't 100% clean it won't bond properly

Can you guarantee here clean from any oils, dusts, contamination

I used C5 about 4 months ago (only on two wheels as it took me a good few hours to prep the 2 wheels i did do), and theyre absolutely perfect still.

Now I just need to get on my arse and do the other 2 =D

When I cleaned mine I did:

Snowfoam, Rinse, Snowfoam,Rinse, Wash, Rinse, IronX, Rinse, Bilberry Wheel Cleaner, Rinse, IPA, Wipe, Apply.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
What wipes need to be used?

​i will deffinatly get some of this stuff before i put my turinis back on

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Ideally panel wipe or IPA. If they are not freshly refurbed, you ideal need to de-tar/de-iron/clay etc etc.

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
I've had C5 sat in my garage for at least a year now lol. I want to get my wheels refurbed soon, so I'll apply it straight after they have been done.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I keep meaning to C5 / Cquartz my wheels... Its such a ball ache so I'm going to wait till I get a spare weekend so i can put the car on axle stands and do it properly.

Williams 2
You say 'prep' required. Reading the thread I'm presuming you mean the wipes?
if I'm using this on a totally fresh from the painters refurbed wheel would I be ok to apply the sealant straight away or is it still advisable to do some extra prep??
luke

You are supposed to let paint fully cure before putting a wax/sealant on fresh paint.

Never heard of any problems putting a wax on fresh paint a few days later but you are supposed to wait to let the paint fully cure, around 30 days apparently. I would presume this applies more so to a tougher sealant like C5.

I'll have to bookmark this thread! Will pick up some C5 wheel armour and apply to my wheels soon. I am regularly cleaning my wheels to keep them spotless and if this stuff really is as good as people say the time spent prepping the wheels will be worth it!