ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel refurb

Williams 2, 182 cup
I'm looking to attempt refurbing a set of 15" wheels myself. Non of the wheels have any damage just bubbling and flaking paint. Does anyone have a step by step guide of how to do this and what to use?

172 Race Car
There is a very good thread in the guides section, but irc u have to be a member to access that section

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
You'll obvisously have to remove any loose paint first . Use some 320 grit wet and dry .

Heres how i did mine . But mine was badly scratched so needed some filler as well . If you do a search there are a few other people who have done theirs so you'll get a few ideas .

Why are you taking the paint off ? Here's one i refurbed .

I cleaned the wheel with AG engine and machine cleaner then dried it . Filled all the deep scratches with Upol D Metallic Filler , left overnight to harden sanded it down with 320 grit wet and dry . This also gives the primer a good key as the 320 grit isn't too fine .

Next i primed the wheel , a couple of coats and used 320 grit wet and dry again .

Wash down the wheel to remove any dust or use a tac cloth .

Next i applied a couple of coats of colour then sanded down with 1500 grit wet and dry . Clean the wheel again to remove the dust . I used Rover storm grey . It's not a 100% match so the guy who mixed my paint added a touch of red to make the match better .

Final couple of colour coats then leave over night .

Then 3 coats of lacquer ( until your happy with the finish ) and leave over night again .

Final wet and dry with 1500 grit to smooth out any imperfections . Then washed , dried and polished with Meguiars scratch X .

http://www.paints4u.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=320

pic13-1.jpg

pic1Small.jpg

pic4Small.jpg

pic3Small.jpg

pic6Small.jpg

pic8Small.jpg

pic7Small.jpg

Williams 2, 182 cup
Good work. Is there not a chemical that could be used to remove the paint? Perhaps something from B&Q?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
You could try nitromors . But tbh the paint comes off very easily with wet and dry . You won't need to remove all the paint , just the loose paint . Leave the good paint and just rough it up a little with some 800 grit wet and dry to give it a good key .

Just make sure the wheels are clean , dry and grease free when spraying so the paint adheres well .