ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel cleaning.. **** of a job!

Z4 Coupe
After giving my car a good clean before FCS, I kept noticing (Also previously) that the inside of my front wheels were caked in grease, tar, break dust etc etc! Kept putting the wheel brush through the wheel and bringing so much sh*t out!

Tonight after work i bit the bullet and whipped one of the fronts off to unvail this;

IMG_0970.jpg

Close up;

IMG_0971.jpg

Must admit, i was hardly equipped to be taking this on, but thought f*ck it, Got to have ago. Ruined a wheel cleaning brush, numerous rags/towels.. Endless amounts of wheel cleaner and got to this eventually!

IMG_0972.jpg

Probably about 2hrs attacking it and thats only one!!! Dreading the other front, and to be fair the backs arnt too bad. This is not to my approval so will be coming back off again!

Can someone list some products and a procedure for me to follow please, There MUST be a more effective way of tackling this..

Andy:)

DB.

BMW 440i
Cracking effort!

One of the seals (Or something) had split on the front of mine and it left loads of gunk! Quick fix by Fred though!

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Id advise getting your CV boots/joints fixed to prevent the grease leakage in the first place!

Billberry wheel cleaner and washing up liquid with an old dish washing brush is quite effective :)

Z4 Coupe
Id advise getting your CV boots/joints fixed to prevent the grease leakage in the first place!

Billberry wheel cleaner and washing up liquid with an old dish washing brush is quite effective :)

Whether this was a problem for the previous owner im not sure, But i can assure you they are all sealed and fine:)

Z4 Coupe
The problem i was suffering was the brush itself would get caked up, Then im pretty much ruined spending more time cleaning the brush than the actually wheel :mad:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Seriously

Clean it up best you can with some degreaser/billberry/tardis

Once thats got rid of the worse, finish off with Iron X. I've never in my life seen a product clean brake crap of wheels so easily

I used a standard kitchen sink brush thing and a strong mixture of Megs APC. 10 minutes scrubbing at it and job done, came up perfectly.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Whether this was a problem for the previous owner im not sure, But i can assure you they are all sealed and fine:)

You might find theres a miniscule split in the boot, won't necessarily be covered in grease.... you shouldnt have any sort or grease on the wheels...

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
It really isn't hard!

Spray on a generous amount of billberry let it soak in, spray on a bit more, agitate it with the brush, rinse repeat if necessary.

Z4 Coupe
I'll be taking ALL the advice I can get:) Don't car what anyone says, This was hard:rasp: Makes me feel better:eek:

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Ive just this minute tackled my wheels that ive taken off my derv... My CV split and spewed grease everywhere!

I used bilberry, some TFR, a store card and a wheel brush.
Started off like this...
5807437597_8d7ebb0eb4.png

I sprayed some TFR on and let it soak in a minute. Then got the store card and scraped off the excess grease.

Sprayed on the bilberry, again let it soak in. Agitate with the brush

5807434699_08be205851.png

This got rid of most of the mankyness, but with a bit more elbow grease - pardon the pun - 20 mins max later....

5808013770_6e6384db3e.png

Im pretty happy with that result, the wheels are square anyway so not really that bothered, they're just going into storage now.