ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wheel bearings aaaahhhhhhhhh

193 mk2
how much damage can occure if your wheel bearings go???
my pals have gone and a garage is saying there is £500 damage. could this be true or are they just trying it on??
oh it's a 172 with 182 alloys & spacers
thanks for any help. matt

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
i wasnt aware they could cause damage to anything else?! if the bearing goes it generally makes a load noise (grinding moan, effected by speed). and when theyre really screwed, they just lock up.....

i might be wrong on the second part tho...

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
^^^ must have been longer than 2 years! i drove my car with one for 2 year, didnt cause any other damage...

btw, it takes 10 to 20 mins to change one....

172 cup'd extreme
may have damaged the drive shafts which is unlikley, a big drop in the suspention will cause more damage

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
a worn bearing could damage the hub carrier though, and it happens.

Brand new parts then labour, could add up to that depending on who's doing it.

Personally i'd get a second opinion, cause if its just the bearing needing swapped, its a fairly cheap and easy job.

193 mk2
this is what the garage said,The abs lights are on....
There is play in the drivers side rear wheel, the wheel bearings have gone and the abs sensor or something has made a groove in the stub axle. I will need new rear discs and pads at the very minimum, at least new wheel bearings, probably a new stub axle? Deffo new abs sensors as these are f==ked(?!) Abs Relucter ring was also mentioned at one point, can't remember why though.
what do you lot rekon???

williams 2 turbo
mine eats um, need changing every 5 months or so, done 5 in 2 years, what you get for big wheels, hard suspendson, + lots of power.